IA10 Space marine Allies

Tiger9gamer

So a topic thing about stern guard has had me thinking about some of the IA10 guys as allies. This may not be entirely accurate for them and the tactics, as I haven't played a lot with all these guys before switching to the Unforgiven. Also, there is some ambiguity as these guys hadn’t had a good FAQ yet to clear things up, and i’ll list what is confusing.

anyways, Let’s look at what would be cool for the guys that I think can help the most.

I’m going to try and keep these allies as small as I feel reasonable, so around 500-750pts  or so. Also you’ll probably see  the scouts are copy/pasted to each list x-X

Pellas Mi’san: I don’t think this guy can do all that well in an allied list to be honest.He is a wicked awesome character for challenges with his WS 7, 2+ armor, two power weapons  (doesn’t say what kind so feel free to make one an axe) and a couple of cool abilities that will frustrate most opponents.

His master duelist abilities mean that as long as he is within Base to base contact with a character, he can give himself +1 attack (for a total of 6 if he charged!) or subtract an enemy attack it was going to make (until it can only make one.) You can finagle him with challenges and things, keeping him in B2B without him actually fighting the character, but it is a little ambiguities for 6th. 

Getting him into combat with an allied force may be a problem as he can’t joing unit’s like knights in land raiders, so it might be best to have them there as a “deterrent” or something. buying your own land raider and TH/SS terminators may be an option, but if your main army is terminators, then it’s kinda silly. if you do that, then it’s kinda expensive. maybe you can have him sitting in back, but that wastes potential. Drop pods may be good though.

Allies:

HQ: Pellas

Elite: TH/SS terminators (land raider redeemer [keeping with salamander theme])-

troops: Scouts (snipers, heavy bolter, camo cloaks)-

Total: 685pts

Not too good, as your only bringing him into CC and we got other stuff for that

Bray’arth Ashmantle: This ancient dread can pack a punch! as for the 6th edition update, He is a venerable 4HP, armor 13 dreadnaught HQ that can’t be scratched by lances, or melta, so he is a tough metal bugger. He carries around two DCCW with built in heavy flamers, and he can combine fire to shoot a TL melta gun shot at BS5. 

In combat he has 4 Attacks, and he has a special rule called Burning wrath. Basically, he gets rid of one attack, lights himself on fire, and hits everyone in Base to base with a str 5 ap 4 hit. 

My advice is to put him in a drop pod and set him down in the back to blow crap up and be a really big pain. he costs as much as a land raider crusader with a multi-melta, but I think he’s worth it. Try sending him in with an Iron clad dread too!

allies

HQ: Bray’arth (drop pod)

Elite: Ironclad dread (melta, chainfist, drop pod)-170pts

Troop: Scouts (snipers, heavy bolter, camo cloaks)

Total: 560pts

Fwoooooooooooooosh!

Ahazra Redth: I think he is the only Vanilla marine guy to take divination as per the 6th psyker update. Anyways he gives his non terminator units the chapter tactic Infiltrate, So he can pop up where he needs to with sternguard or vanguard vets to be a big pain in the arse. I even think he can go with a Thunderfire cannon, or get some teleporter homers.

He’s a lvl 2 psyker and he has a special talisman that gives him a 5+ and a chance to re-roll one test per turn, even getting rid of any perals (provided it isn’t on the next roll) He allows the player to re-roll steal the initiative, and adds a -1 to reserve rolls for the enemy

He can take divination, and He also can do a special power called Mirage. Basically, it gives them defensive grenades, and puts the entire unit in shrouded territory.

All-in-all I think he is one of the best guys to ally with, as he brings quite a lot to the table (literally) with buffs and game affecting things.

Allies:

HQ: Ahazra Redth

Elite (x10 sternguard, x2 Plasma cannons)-245pts

Troop: Scouts (snipers, heavy bolter, camo cloaks)

Total: 500pts

Basically, hide the sternguard in a building on a flank with redth, and start shooting guys that come to close to them. They should be a pain to get rid of, and they can put out enough punishment to hurt stuff.

there will be more HQ's later on, so let me now if this is good!

So I tried a game with the way I described, and it was decent. They say in a building and only fired a plasma cannon the entier game, so it wasn't a lot they did. I revised it a little, because I think that a tactical squad would have been good for this too.

I think infiltrate will work with the Thunderfire cannon, as it isn't A: a terminator, and B: not in anything.

Anyways here it is: 

HQ: Ahazra Redth

Troop: Tactical squad (x10 man, Plasma cannon, flamer)-185pts

H/S 1: Thunder fire cannon-100pts

Total: 450pts

Don't know much about the IA space marine HQs (except Tyberos - who doesn't want to field a army of SPESS SHARKS!!!) But Bray'arth, Silas Alberac, Lias Issodon and Asterion Moloc seem to be the only ones that suit the Dark Angels playstyle. Although Moloc is expensive as all hell... 

Tarnus Vale and Zhurukhal Androcles might find their way in for some tank busting goodness though... Dedicated anti tank allies contingent while we drown our opponents in bolter shells. 

Now I'm tempted to try Lias Issodon with sternguard. Or Silas Alberac with a command squad and his teleport homer. Damn it. Does anyone know if allied teleport homers work with Deathwing?

Depends on the Codex. C:DA teleport homers say 'friendly units' so would work with battle-brothers. No C:SM + FAQ on me, so I can't remember if those ones say 'friendly units' or have been errata'd to 'friendly Codex: Space Marines units'.

Archived