Space marine with heavy flamer

Sqeaky

Hey guys

I was is a creative mood today and while I was staring at my bit box I looked across a heavy flamer that I got with my land speeder but i never used it. SO i dicided to give it to one of my Black templars that I still needed to paint. After trying allmost all of my spare space marine arms I got something that looked pretty good. I have put the fuel pack on the backpack and made a tube out of a piece of rubber.

Thanks for reading andI hope you guys like it and maybe have some tips for me?

Gr Sqeaky

http://i43.tinypic.com/4jqtt.jpg

http://i39.tinypic.com/2ptxzk6.jpg

http://i40.tinypic.com/i4n2ag.jpg

http://i40.tinypic.com/2b6tz4.jpg

Welcome to the B&C! smile.png

As a disclaimer, be braced for tough criticism here. This model has a lot of problems, which I am going to point out rather directly. But, it is not to make you feel bad or to discourage you from trying again and again. It is because we learn by mistakes, and I wholly wish to help you learn and do better. smile.png

Well, let's see. For starters, a Heavy Flamer is a big and awkward bit of equipment, especially the one taken right off of a vehicle, so you had that working against you here.

This has a very 'slapped on' look to it. The trigger hand is pointing perpendicular to the gun, when it should be aligned- your hand always points the same direction as the gun. The choice for the other hand is a bit awkward- it isn't helping to aim from up there, and I can't imagine a flamethrower has a lot of recoil to brace against. The fuel tank and hose are literally slapped on.

OK, now that the clubbing is done, things to do in the future. For one thing, like I said earlier, the H.FLamer is big. Really big. So there's no way to get it to look right on a power armor marine without cutting it down to size or making a very elaborate rigging system, or both. It takes a really keen and often experienced eye to look at a hunk of plastic and know what can be cut and where to make X work. Bear in mind that I don't possess that talent in great quantity myself, but if I were to try this again I would cut off the bits beneath his hand, forward to the underslung hose, which I would also trim off.

But you can't get everywhere by taking away. Sometimes you have to add as well. Plasticard and greenstuff are a converter's best friends (the latter not so much for many of us, damned uncooperative stuff that it is). Looking at the tank on his back for instance- it is pretty blatantly just slapped on to a preexisting frame, and sticks out like a sore thumb. But with a bit of plasticard bracing it on the sides and underneath, and making it parallel with the backpack, you could form a rudimentary simulation of a brace/holster for them to look more natural.

Also, and this goes for any model you ever make: destroy mold lines on sight! it's tedious, oh how familiar I am with that tedium, but they're just so garish that it must be done.

Also also, for future reference, do searches for other peoples' work whenever you can. Look for how others may have used a Landspeeder heavy Flamer on a marine, or whatever conversion you are thinking of doing. It's not cheating to learn from other peoples' work, and it will be a million times easier than stumbling along every step of the way. Believe me, that's how I had to learn. I would've killed to have the same internet resources as beginners today tongue.png

I think Firepower nailed it, very good advice given.  I think if you want a great idea of what a Heavy Flamer looks like on a marine, check out the Legion of the Damned models.  There's a great example of a Heavy Flamer wielding marine, and although it's still a big gun, it looks proportionate on the marine.  I think the biggest downfall is that yours is held away from the body, and is a bit too high.  If the Flamer was slung low, and held closer to the body, I think the big-ness of the Flamer wouldn't be too much of a problem.  That being said, the hose is a bit too thick, and even replacing that would improve the mini ten-fold.

Don't think much else needs to be said rather than keep at it and don't be discouraged because something didn't turn out awesome first time round. This would be a pretty bland and boring hobby if everything was easy.

Don't be afraid to chop stuff up either, cutting the arms at the wrists and elbow, drilling through them and pinning them to reposition is actually so much easier than what it sounds, and you get some pretty unique looking stuff.

A quick fix in my opinion would be to swap out the supporting arm for a normal bolter-holder one, cut it up, pin it together and reposition it so that it fits nicely under the flamer then move the green stuff hose so that it's going from the bottom of the tanks rather than the top.

That's just my opinion though, I've got plenty models that most people would think look off, but I love anyway.

Keep at it dude, hope you decide to post something again soon smile.png

Archived