a libby...to termi or not to termi

The major buff TDA got was not all power weapons ignore armour saves now, just axes and fists (and they're both unwieldy), so you'll get that 2+ save more often than before.

If you have the points to spare and want to make your HQ more survivable, I don't see why not.

If you're going to run a TDA libby, don't forget his Storm Shield.  2+/3++ is so much better than 2+/5++ for so few points.

Pros:

2+ >> 3+.  TDA can tank Vector Strikes, Helldrake Baleflamers, etc, while PA cannot.

Gives Libby an Invuln.  They're the only HQ we can take that can't otherwise get one.

With Precognition, a rerollable 2+/3++ can tank crazy numbers of wounds in combat.

3++ gives you a good chance of surviving challenges long enough to strike with a Force Axe at I1.

Can deep strike with other TDA.

Cons:

45pts is a lot, especially when our libbies are already more expensive than comparable 6ed HQs

Can't really take advantage of Relentless

Can't board Rhinos/Razors, take up two spots in other vehicles instead of one.

Loss of Sweeping Advance can hurt against some armies/units.

The problem with TDA is that you lose 2 attacks for 2ccws (which is why the stormshield upgrade is such a no-brainer), on a model who doesn't have many attacks for his point cost to begin with.  If that doesn't bother you, then yes, TDA is exceptionally worthwhile.

I assume you aren't planning to stick him in a rhino/razorback...

The problem with TDA is that you lose 2 attacks for 2ccws (which is why the stormshield upgrade is such a no-brainer), on a model who doesn't have many attacks for his point cost to begin with.  If that doesn't bother you, then yes, TDA is exceptionally worthwhile.

I assume you aren't planning to stick him in a rhino/razorback...

You mean lose 1 attack?

The offset is more than worth it. You take a model with no invulnerable save baseline and grant him a 2+/3++. It makes taking a force axe much less risky. It makes him extremely durable, and he can tank shots for the unit in certain situations (much like Corbulo). 

The biggest drawback is being bulky. I don't really use rhinos or razorbacks for my "libby and bodyguard" so it's not that bad. However, it really hurts the effectiveness of a drop pod to drop to 8 man + libby. But you make up for that in survivability.

didn't give it thought how to use the libby, my plan is to go null deploy drop pod list so either he starts solo on the board or i'll drop him with some unit (maybe assaultys)

i am going to take this for shure:

pod with dc and reclusiarch pf and maybe jp

pod with sternguard

minimum 2 pods with fragiosos (possibly one libby dread if i take in the hammernators)

i want to take a unit of hammernators but not shure how i / if i can drop them in a pod instead of deep strike

and a unit of devestators ( not shure how to kit them out yet)

You can't take 2 Furiosos, a Sternguard and Hammernators in the same list at <2k points, as that's 4 elite selections.  Also, remember that Priests (including Corbulo) require at least one Elite slot per 3.

Neither type of Terminator Squad can take a Drop Pod.  They can Deep Strike, but count against the Reserves limit and don't benefit from Descent of Angels.

Personally, I like TDA libbies in Sternguard or Footslogging DC units, and occasionally as Baleflamer protection for Dev squads, depending on what powers I roll.  Prescienced special ammo or Krak missiles with Perfect Timing can be really nasty.

you can't take 2 Furiosos, a Sternguard and Hammernators in the same list

jep i know that's why i did say this -> a minimum of two fragiosos in pod ( possibly one libby dread if i take in the hammernators) ;)

maybe i did put it wrong in context :p A TDA Libby ?? as in Termi Dark Angels Libby?

If you're going to run a TDA libby, don't forget his Storm Shield.  2+/3++ is so much better than 2+/5++ for so few points.

Pros:

2+ >> 3+.  TDA can tank Vector Strikes, Helldrake Baleflamers, etc, while PA cannot.

Better than nothing, but tanking hits with your expensive, T4W2 warlord is not ideal. 

I've just given my fleshtearer libby an infernus pistol and nothing else. Anything else is too big a points sink for 1500 pt games in my opinions. At least, that's the case with me.

If you've got more points though, more is definitely more as far as armour goes. I would have given him Term armour if I had the points and if he wasn't in a drop pod where everyone is already squished up against the windshield.

Pros:

Better than nothing, but tanking hits with your expensive, T4W2 warlord is not ideal. 

I agree, though so long as the wounds are S7 or less, you can tank until you lose one wound and then Look Out Sir the rest with a 2+ or 3++ "backstop" for failed LoS! rolls.

Really the only major downside I see is the loss of mobility vs a Jump Pack.  As long as you've got a list where that's not an issue, I'd go for TDA.

Archived