Abyssal Sharks WIP (orginal name: Black sharks)

DarkLiege

So far I only have a few ideas in which I jogged down in my notepad. I know that the White Scars Chapter and their successors(too a extend) has a "Belief" where their Gene-father, Jaghatai Khan, is still alive. However, we have no mention that the White Scars are searching for him in any way.  What would happen if the new training cadre led a new chapter into searching for him. Going for whatever means is available. Inspired in part by Philip Sibbering and his Blood Sharks DIY and re-imaged Space Shark Chapters. Without further ado, here it is:

Chapter name: Abyssal Sharks "Eaters of the Void; Eldar Slayers"

Cold and mysterious are the Abyssal Sharks that their names are only whispered in fear. Their stories are twisted on every world they encounter, spoken of as stories to hush the children. Some even goes so far as to think they are renegade marines. Their deeds are legendary beyond reason but their methods are heartless beyond doubt. The Abyssal Sharks are crazy and ruthless bastards in every way. Wielding fear as their weapon, the chapter has struck terror into the hearts of many and created fables among others. Their victories are grim however undeniably affective – Crushing the Dark Eldars’ resolves at the battle of Quitus Primus, overthrowing WAAAAAGH! Gorbskinna in a few months, Stopped a rebellion in the Razen sector with the mention of their name, and many more. The people of the Imperium calls them “The Forgotten Ones” or “The Forsaken Ones”.

http://i39.tinypic.com/5butle.jpg

Main Idea: A Chapter that believes their gene-father is not dead but still alive and well, just wandering around in the webway. The chapter keeps to itself. Even on the battlefield, there is this eerie silent coming from them.

Geneseed: White Scars; 3rd Founding; Have the Larraman's organ that is almost/completely non-functional anymore making the chapter prone to get wounds that are not healing fast enough to keep up with them. This is cause by the marines abusing the Larraman's Organ like crazy that it can't sustain their purpose.

Combat Doctrine: Use of Fear and Hit and Run Tactics (changed from lightning strikes when attacking an eldar craftworld)

Breaking the eldar's soulstones causing the eldar to flinch a little and becoming uneasy for them.

Recruitment: Children taken from war zones or has been abducted from other worlds(mainly that of hive and death worlds) using hypnotherapy on them so they would for get their past and to making them lost their emotions. They go through a series of mental tests.

Those that pass to be a space marines are placed in a squad allowing them to learn from their elder peers.

Those that fail the test are still kept as human soldiers that does all the scouting and even doing infiltration and sabotage missions

Organization: Fleet based each operating as a mini chapter. Human soldiers operates in cells but most of them are on board ships as maintenance officers, commanding officers, etc...

At first chapter master's death, the chapter separated. Forming the Brethren Court known as the Shadow Council ruled by the high officials of the chapters(which include the human soldiers?). The Fleets are ruled by Shadow Masters(Captains)

Librarians known as Shadowmares; Honor Guards known as NightMarchers; Apothecary known as Torturers

Name: From first chapter master announcing, "They will be like the mighty predator of the sea of ancient Terra, prowling in the darkness. The void, our sea and home. Let our weapons be our teeth and HIS vengeance upon all the Chaos".

Equipment: The chapter salvage for equipment since they do not have a world they call home

Quotes:

"Make them fear the shadows, my brothers. The very shadows, that protects them, shall be their own downfall."-Sergeant Kalus Balius

"Their animals, commander! Savage and untamable. We must stir clear of their way lest we are eaten alive".-Imperial guard Sergeant to his higher ranking commanders

"The Eldar? Their cunning and their lies. All creatures since their birth has a fear, so too does the eldars. Destroy their spirit stones and see what they would do next. They coward in fear, like all should against us".-Captain Julius Q'zeil to his troops attacking Craftworld Na'shil

S: Soldier

C: Commander

S: "Commander, there's something not right with these space marines".

C: "What do you mean, Soldier?" 

S: "I don't know how to explain it. They...just look so...unnatural. Like they are already dead."

-A soldier explaingin the uneasiness of the Abyssal Shark Chapter

Edited by DarkLiege

Ha, you're going down a similar road as I am with my White Scar successor. The Guardians of Midas (a WIP name) will also be obsessed with seeking out their lost father.

Looks alright so far. I'm interested to see how you'll have them search.

First and foremost, let me thank you for replying to this topic(Quite a fast reply at that) Cormac Airt. :D

Considering that the chapter is founded as a 3rd founding, that means that the image of the disappearance of the Primarch is still pretty fresh in the memories of the White Scars and even more so for this chapter. 

I envision the chapter trying to seek out craftworlds, attacking them to get even a little hint on where his father is. The chapter tries to find a way into, well, Commorragh. However sometimes they are side tracked into the different battlefields. The chapter has heard of the well of knowledge, The Black Library, in which they try to enter for some reason.

Cold and mysterious are the Black Sharks that their names are only whispered in fear. Their stories are twisted on every world they encounter, spoken of as stories to hush the children. Some even goes so far as to think they are renegade marines. Their deeds are legendary beyond reason but their methods are heartless beyond doubt. The Black Sharks are crazy and ruthless bastards in every way. Wielding fear as their weapon, the chapter has struck terror into the hearts of many and created fables among others. Their victories are grim however undeniably affective – Crushing the Dark Eldars’ resolves at the battle of Quitus Primus, overthrowing WAAAAAGH! Gorbskinna in a few months, Stopped a rebellion in the Razen sector with the mention of their name, and many more. The people of the Imperium calls them “The Forgotten Ones” or “The Forsaken Ones”.

The bold sentence really doesn't fit the tone at all. The nickname(s) for them seems like drama for drama's sake, and aren't really that inspired to be blunt. I'd edit it out.

Geneseed: White Scars; 3rd Founding; Have an organ that is almost/completely non-functional anymore(not sure which one)

Buggy before the horse...I think I'm using that metaphor right :teehee: By which I mean you should have an idea of what you want 'wrong' about them and how it affects their character, and then decide what malfunction may lead to it.

Combat Doctrine: Use of Fear and Hit and Run Tactics(changed from lightning strikeswhen attacking an eldar craftworld)

How would fighting an Eldar Craftworld lead to Terror tactics? Also, White Scar lightning strikes are often hit and run tactics.

At first chapter master's death, the chapter separated. Forming the Brethren Court known as the Shadow Council ruled by the high officials of the chapters(which include the human soldiers). The Fleets are ruled by Shadow Masters(Captains)

Giving humans a role in high command is...well, just come up with a sound reason. The Imperium is awfully hierarchical, and

Astartes are several rungs higher than most humans.

Equipment: The chapter salvage for equipment since they do not have a world they call home

Lots of crusading chapters do just fine without salvaging. The Ad Mech has a delivery service. :smile.:

Slightly more arbitrary note- none of that color scheme is actually black :teehee: If looking for a word to mean 'dark' rather than referring to the actual color, maybe try Void, Stygian, Abyssal, etc. Or not. Like I said, its an arbitrary complaint.

Cold and mysterious are the Black Sharks that their names are only whispered in fear. Their stories are twisted on every world they encounter, spoken of as stories to hush the children. Some even goes so far as to think they are renegade marines. Their deeds are legendary beyond reason but their methods are heartless beyond doubt. The Black Sharks are crazy and ruthless bastards in every way. Wielding fear as their weapon, the chapter has struck terror into the hearts of many and created fables among others. Their victories are grim however undeniably affective – Crushing the Dark Eldars’ resolves at the battle of Quitus Primus, overthrowing WAAAAAGH! Gorbskinna in a few months, Stopped a rebellion in the Razen sector with the mention of their name, and many more. The people of the Imperium calls them “The Forgotten Ones” or “The Forsaken Ones”.

The bold sentence really doesn't fit the tone at all. The nickname(s) for them seems like drama for drama's sake, and aren't really that inspired to be blunt. I'd edit it out.

Okay the nicknames are out of hand by me. This is something I throw together some months or so ago.

Geneseed: White Scars; 3rd Founding; Have an organ that is almost/completely non-functional anymore(not sure which one)

Buggy before the horse...I think I'm using that metaphor right :teehee: By which I mean you should have an idea of what you want 'wrong' about them and how it affects their character, and then decide what malfunction may lead to it.

After thinking things over, I got a general idea about what organ I want to malfunction. Here it goes:  Upon attacking the craftworld, things did not work out completely how the chapter wanted it to be. The marines push their bodies to their utter most limit that it would make the Larraman's Organ to slow down on the recovery of the wounds.

At first chapter master's death, the chapter separated. Forming the Brethren Court known as the Shadow Council ruled by the high officials of the chapters(which include the human soldiers). The Fleets are ruled by Shadow Masters(Captains)

Giving humans a role in high command is...well, just come up with a sound reason. The Imperium is awfully hierarchical, and

Astartes are several rungs higher than most humans.

I'm thinking that the chapter views the humans of their fleet as, kinda, equal. Things might change as they always does in the IA. :D

Lots of crusading chapters do just fine without salvaging. The Ad Mech has a delivery service. :smile.:

Slightly more arbitrary note- none of that color scheme is actually black :teehee: If looking for a word to mean 'dark' rather than referring to the actual color, maybe try Void, Stygian, Abyssal, etc. Or not. Like I said, its an arbitrary complaint.

Yes the color scheme is not actually black but maybe something else could be like their method of killing or maybe the black thing comes  from the void as that is their home(as stated before). I like the whole idea that the chapter salvage for their things instead.

Combat Doctrine: Use of Fear and Hit and Run Tactics(changed from lightning strikeswhen attacking an eldar craftworld)

How would fighting an Eldar Craftworld lead to Terror tactics? Also, White Scar lightning strikes are often hit and run tactics.

The attack that the chapter planned for did not go as plan, making them lose more marines on their initial landing. After intense fire-fights broke out across the craftworld, the Eldar seems to have the marines trap as they could just attack and vanish into thin air. It was not until on of the marines broke an eldar spirit stone, that they found a fatal weakness against them. (think of the attacks similar to a game of cat and mouse). Maybe, the chapter developed a thing for staying eerily silent, not talking to any outsiders.

First and foremost, let me thank you for replying to this topic(Quite a fast reply at that) Cormac Airt. :D

Considering that the chapter is founded as a 3rd founding, that means that the image of the disappearance of the Primarch is still pretty fresh in the memories of the White Scars and even more so for this chapter.

I envision the chapter trying to seek out craftworlds, attacking them to get even a little hint on where his father is. The chapter tries to find a way into, well, Commorragh. However sometimes they are side tracked into the different battlefields. The chapter has heard of the well of knowledge, The Black Library, in which they try to enter for some reason.

Third Founding as well. Perhaps I shall mention your chapter in my IA.

Mine will send suicide squads into Webways where able. Come back with the Khan or not at all.

Anyway, enough of me, this is your IA!

Gonna echo Firepower. No black colors, no Black Sharks. I'd go with Abyssal, as it's thematic. Just don't do Dark Sharks. Street Sharks is always on the table. Always.

Terror tactics works with the Eldar. Threaten their soulstones, convincingl and they will be scared.

Terror tactics may work on Eldar, but Dark Eldar...not so much. It was my understanding that the Khan disappeared hunting the Dark Eldar...

It's possible that the Sharks don't differentiate between the two, but that would likely be a conscious decision rather than a failure in intelligence. Marines tend to know their archenemies rather well :smile.:

Edited by Firepower

Terror tactics may work on Eldar, but Dark Eldar...not so much. It was my understanding that the Khan disappeared hunting the Dark Eldar...

True, but let's not forget that the Dark Eldars are also somewhat similar to the craftworld Eldars in that they,in my eyes, still fear She who Thirst which is one of the reason why the Dark Eldars has to gather and eat souls so they could survive another day. This is my personal take on it and how I see how the "inner hearts" of the dark eldars, and no tsure how accurate this is. :biggrin.:

Edit: The name of the chapter shall be change to Abyssal Sharks instead to fit more accurately with the theme.

Edited by DarkLiege

That's actually where my Guardians went, seeing all Eldar breeds as different flavors of the same filthy xenos, little difference between. Plus, the Khan disappeared into a Webway. It may have been held by the Dark Eldar at them time, but from there who knows?

Just throwing this in but the red scorpions aren't red. If you did the chapter badge black, the name works fine! Or use both; official v. Nickname

Just throwing this in but the red scorpions aren't red. If you did the chapter badge black, the name works fine! Or use both; official v. Nickname

I might just leave the name as "Abyssal Sharks" for now since it goes with the chapter theme of "The void is their home" kind of scene.

As for the names in quotations next to the name, its their to be like a little reminder as to what the chapter are and what they do. :D

There's some cool stuff here, I'm afraid I'm going to have to try to convince you to join the ETL so that I can see some of those marines painted.

I'll comment further on them once I'm not busy trying to recruit.

Although, I appreciate the kindness but I just like making DIY chapters and I do not paint a model or even play the tabletop sadly. :sad.: I'm sorry, but I have to decline your offer at painting model. :P

Edited by DarkLiege

Abyssal Sharks is a good name, but it's extremely similar to that of the 4chan creation "Abyssal Jaws." Take care when designing the Chapter insignia, or you may be (wrongly) accused of ripping off "Anonymous."

I was thinking off having the chapters insignia similar to that of the space sharks in the Lexicanum but instead of a white shark over a grey background, it will be a black shark over a grey background.