Simply Dark Angels

deadboytat2

Ok so this is a WIP mix with my what will be a battle and thoughts record of my dark angels.  First off some pics of some of the stuff I am  working on as well some of my initial thoughts on playing them.

943616_604212039590801_1340929459_n.jpg931166_604109866267685_725238661_n.jpg970377_604109812934357_1361510969_n.jpg 421625_606631019348903_1327921124_n.jpg

So first Of Let me say I am incredibly bad at cycling through marines. What i mean by that Is I love Space Marines but can never decide on a army I want to play so I end up Building and painting army's and then selling them off. Or at least I used too I have taken a major break from power armor for about two years while I played my Orks and Fantasy more often. I have played Salamander's, Thousand suns, Iron Warriors and Space Wolves. All of these were bought built painted sold and then bought built painted and sold. With the exception of my Salamanders that I have had sitting around for a long time. 

Well I have made the derision Not to do that with Dark angels or this edition of the game. I have pledged not to be a Codex chaser anymore. And especially not to get rid of this army. It will be my only 3+ army. With that said Let me say that I have never had as much fun painting marines as I have with my Dark angels. Firstly I have three pretty cool color schemes  to work with so If I get board with one I paint another ( Death company/ Raven wing / 3rd Company). Also I am not doing as much detail as I have in the past when I painted marines. Mostly because in the last few years I have decided that although I love painting I love having fully painted army's on the table more and some of my problems in the past is that I have spent way too much time painting one model and not enough time getting army's on the table. The results were that In 5 or six months of work I would have two great looking squads but primer everything else.  

So I am calling this project simply Dark angels because One I am not painting a successor chapter and also because I am trying o just get models built and painted with basic details and highlights in a simple and easy fashion. 

Ok so I have played 6 games with my Dark angels so far and here are my initial thoughts on there book. 

Our Infantry is really strong right now. Our tactical squads are nicely priced and have great options. Being able to take a heavy weapon or a special weapon in 5 man units is great also having skyfire currently on our missile launchers is pretty nice. ( true all space marines will more then likely get these but for now it is worth noting. ) Death wing are great at hitting hard both in shooting and in melee, This is true for all terminators but the Death wing assault rules are really helpful for gaining the tempo in a game. Also death wing knights are great for that once per game smack down on tough death star units like the ones I like to run in my Orks. 

Raven wing has stayed awesome and has some nice editions to it. I have not played with the plasma storm battery but I have played a few games with the Dark shroud and I have been loving the Pope limo. But bikes are still bike and not really useful for more then harassment units. I have not ran them with banners of devastation or Fortitude yet mostly because I favor Full wing lists not mono wing lists. ( IE elements of death company raven-wing and normal space marines. as apposed to just one of those. ) 

Here are the problems I have run into so far with the army. We need anti Flyer's plain and simple, our book is lacking in anti air. The to fighters we have one is made for removing ground targets and the other is only so/so at anti air. I say So/So because it only has one weapon that can reliably pin on armor 12 and it costs a lot of points to put on the table. Although the alternative are to take allies in your force that can deal with flyers. But then you have to pay the "Allie Tax" of a HQ you are taking cheap because you have to and a troop choice that you are also taking cheap just because you are forced to so you can un-lock the thing you do want. Most books you are paying at least 100 pts if not more ( most likely more ) just to get what you want. 

So I have decided to to run the Nephilim fighter. Hoping to get favorable trades when it comes on even though it is pricey and because I really want to paint one anyways lol

Sorry for the wall of text Its the first post here so I had alot to say. In case people are wondering here is the 1850 list I have been using.

Librarian mastery 2 divination with conversion field

ten tactical marines with plasma canon plasma rifle and sarge with plasma pistol and chain sword ( Dark vengeance ) 

ten tactical marines with plasma canon plasma rifle and sarge with plasma pistol and chain sword ( Dark vengeance ) 

Ten tactical marines with Missile launchers and sarge with chain sword and bolt pistol with a rhino. 

6 man raven wing bike squad with chain sword on sarge and a plasma rifle with a land speeder typhoon

6 man raven wing bike squad with chain sword on sarge and a plasma rifle with a land speeder typhoon

Dark shroud 

5 man terminator squad with assault cannon and chain fist ( Dark vengeance ) 

5 man terminator squad with assault cannon and chain fist ( Dark vengeance ) 

Aegis defense line with las cannon ( I want to swap this with a quad gun but I gave all mine away when grey knights came out to my friends lol so need to buy another set. ) 

If you made it this far THANKS for reading seriously!

Wow some great insights there deadboytat2 (and an unusual name too). Welcome to the Rock.

As it goes - I agree on the lack of good anti-armour options in our 'dex. It seems a shame we have to rely on outside help here in the form of a 'proper' Mortis dread or the excellent Contemptor - both from Forge World <_<. Or, by using allies.

Cheers

I

Im not familure with the rules on contemptor dreads do they have interceptor or skyfire? I have never run any forgeworld items with the forgeworld rules just bought the things and used them from the normal gw books. Mostly because tournaments around here do not allow forgeworld stuff. So what book do those dreads come out of and yeah if they have anti air things I will use it as a reasonto run out and buy a few is there a way to look at therules for those things without the book so I can see if I want to run them?

Welcome to the Rock mate!

The contemptor Morris dreadnought's rules are in Imperial armor 2 (if not 1) if memory serves. Do check it out as it is a very nice model (hell expensive too).

If it doesn't move, it has the interceptor AND skyfire rules for that turn. Coupled with the ability to take a carapace missile launcher in addition to two kheres assault cannons, a heavy 6 (!!) assault cannon, it's our best in codex option for AA. Well, sort of in codex.

Great insights about the book too. Welcome again to the ranks of the Unforgiven!

Though your are paying a tax, guard really support da very well in the anti flyer arena. You can blob a squad or two behind an agieas line or take melts vets to pop armor. Using the guard to protect the auto cannon or take a reserves relay, master of the fleet in a command squad and reduce their reserves by -2 which really helps and after buying a vendetta, you've saving 50 Pts. Towards that tax. Plus the command squad can twin link the guards air shooting.

Azreal benefits aggressive blobs very well. Plus your psykers can to. And guard can be cheap scoring units in expensive deathwing armies.

All the teleport Homers can help out guard (and in my thinking BA too) that deep strike.

Though I haven't fully used it yet I still intend to use a fortress of redemption and flak dev's, but so far have found flakk led than useful.

Thanks Cypherkk I was thinking the same thing with some guard. And someday I might get around to painting some up and trying it out your suggestions were vary close to the ideas I already had with them. But as I have looked at the forge world model and the rules for the Dread I am going to have to buy one now. Not only is that straight up Dark Angels, something I prefer, But its a great looking model ( though my wallet hates me right now).

Now the questions is when I get it how do I paint it? If I am going for a 1st or second company dread should I paint it black as it has been in service from the heresy to now so would not have been repainted to bone? Or should I just have it as a Devastator marine and paint it green, Quandary.

Atomantic shielding - 5++ invulnerable save against ranged attacks, 6++ invulnerable save against melee attacks. Also, if it blows up, add 1" to explosion radius.

Targeting array - If the dread didn't move, has Skyfire for that turn. (Hit on normal BS and Blast weapons get to hit on a 6)

Atomantic shielding - 5++ invulnerable save against ranged attacks, 6++ invulnerable save against melee attacks. Also, if it blows up, add 1" to explosion radius.

Targeting array - If the dread didn't move, has Skyfire for that turn. (Hit on normal BS and Blast weapons get to hit on a 6)

...and Interceptor for the Targeting array smile.png

group photo of my 2 weeks of Dark Angels. This is after my my first vow.

994294_608096315869040_95352784_n.jpg

The rhino was given to me already painted green. I just threw on the broken wing because I wanted to try out the stencil I made. So I am more then likely going to buy another one just to have one that is painted by me in my army. Until then though it works for playing games at least lol.  

Thanks Cypherkk I was thinking the same thing with some guard. And someday I might get around to painting some up and trying it out your suggestions were vary close to the ideas I already had with them. But as I have looked at the forge world model and the rules for the Dread I am going to have to buy one now. Not only is that straight up Dark Angels, something I prefer, But its a great looking model ( though my wallet hates me right now).

Now the questions is when I get it how do I paint it? If I am going for a 1st or second company dread should I paint it black as it has been in service from the heresy to now so would not have been repainted to bone? Or should I just have it as a Devastator marine and paint it green, Quandary.

I went for the green option for my Contemptor-Mortis (Lascannons and Cyclone) and bone for my regular Contemptor. Obviously it's up to you but, as there is no Venerable option for either unit, Contemptors probably shouldn't be bone if we're going strictly by the book. Then again, the rule of cool supersedes Codex fluff when it comes to colour schemes ;-)

Archived