Nephilim/Dark Talon vs. Landspeeder Squadron

HBMarley

Hello all. I've recently started playing Ravenwing and have a start on an army list. i was wondering which would be more useful for Ravenwing: the anti-air capabilities of flyers or the added firepower or Landspeeder Typhoons? Any relevant contributions are welcome.

If you have Black Knights the anti-air capabilities are assured !

I think you added Typhys with HB !!!

EDIT :

yeah +1 with Gillyfish !

I also have a list without fliers, flying enemy targets are my Black Knights (plasma talons are largely effective !) And then we must admit that our aircraft are not the strongest in the game (compared Vendetta in the Guard ...)

Well, it rather depends on the composition of your list. I put together a list which doesn't have a flier, but does have some speeders and a dark shroud to provide protection. It also depends on the points you're playing too. The higher the points, the more there is a case for including a flier, but I would be wary of including it in a smaller list (certainly not in anything below 1000). What else are you thinking of using?

Every time I write a Ravenwing list, I can't seem to justify including a flier until I get to about 1750 points. Below that, there's always something more appealing to take. I never leave home without my Typhoons smile.png

Honestly our AA flyer is so unappealing because it will never be that awesome AA it is in the fluff, but its pointed like it is. If the choice was Flyer vs Land Speeder, Land Speeder will always win in my book.

Well it wasn't an AA killer until then because most of the flyers were A12/12/10.

Now things have changed and the majority of the flyers are A11or even 10.

I'm really wondering if Valkyries/Vendettas won't become A11 as well in the next IG codex.

Remain the problem of the drake (but the broken aspect could be easily resolved by limitating the weapon arc of fire) and the storm raven (much more difficult since a change means changing a 3 codex entry...)

Thanks for all the contributions! Would a quad gun or icarus be more effective for the points? For the AA i was mostly thinking about heldrake killers, any other ideas? Are twin linked bolters with banner of devstation enough to glance flyers to death? Thanks.

I have been running a icarus for a while now but am giving it up in favor of the quad gun. I was trying to save points on the fortification to have more dudes but I have been hitting walls and lots of double helldrakes lists in my area. but if your running Raven wing and do not have the ground troops to sit behind the wall I am not sure you are getting the most for your points there. Best option is take out flyer but do not expect it to be as cool as what everyone else has. and Again speeders are awesome you will give up first blood a lot but you should be able to make it up if you do it right. 

Well it wasn't an AA killer until then because most of the flyers were A12/12/10.

Now things have changed and the majority of the flyers are A11or even 10.

I'm really wondering if Valkyries/Vendettas won't become A11 as well in the next IG codex.

Remain the problem of the drake (but the broken aspect could be easily resolved by limitating the weapon arc of fire) and the storm raven (much more difficult since a change means changing a 3 codex entry...)

The storm raven would be easier since none of the codices its in have gotten a 6th edition codex yet.

Also, the Nephilim ain't nearly as bad when you use those dogfighting rules from Crusade of Fire/other book.

Yeah but the problem is that GW never release 3 codex in the same time. Hence, if you update one codex, he won't be in line with the 2 other during a long period of time (as GW won't  release 3 marines codex in a row either).

Now I recognize that for you and me, that's not a problem : enough to release a new profile (or cost) in codex vanilla and make an update in the BA and GK FAQ... But what  seems simple for us doesn't compulsory seem simple for GW. They think in term of "image" and also about the customers who start in the hobby and don't necessary use updates to that extend (we talk about completly redoing an entry not just correcting a typo or clarifying a rule here)

So that's why I say it is more difficult to re-balance.

Archived