Checking range with template weapons... how?

Squirrelloid

Lets leave the bickering at home gents. If people have any comments to make that relate to the outcome of this rules question, then by all means post (it's why it's still open). If not, then let sleeping topics lie.

Gurth: I will only note that to "place the template" is a technical phrase refering to the p52 template procedures for firing the template, and consists of other restrictions besides the template being on the table.  For instance, when you "place the template", you may not touch friendly models and must cover as many models as possible in the target unit.

And I'm sorry if insisting the game is played by the rules, to the best of one's ability to do so, is so abhorrent to you.  Typically when one plays a game it is good form to follow the rules.  Some of us consider doing otherwise to be cheating.

Gurth: I will only note that to "place the template" is a technical phrase refering to the p52 template procedures for firing the template, and consists of other restrictions besides the template being on the table.  For instance, when you "place the template", you may not touch friendly models and must cover as many models as possible in the target unit.

And I'm sorry if insisting the game is played by the rules, to the best of one's ability to do so, is so abhorrent to you.  Typically when one plays a game it is good form to follow the rules.  Some of us consider doing otherwise to be cheating.

If you play anyone that thinks using the template to measure is cheating, you should stop playing that person.

Period.

Like I said, we had resolved this.

There is a difference between using the length of the template (either using the template itself or a tape measure) to check whether a unit is in range and placing the template in order to establish the number of hits scored.

Once we had overcome that, the issue resolved quite simply, breaking no RAW and giving a clear procedure to apply when using template weapons.

As outlined by squirreloids pictures and my subsequent post.

Now, squirreloid (the OP) seemed happy with this, so why this is being dredged up unnecessarily is beyond me.

I would point you to DGs post above - unless there you have a poignant point to make on this subject, let this topic lie.

Well, I remembered there was photocopyable cut-outs for blast and flamer templates in the BGB, so i measured the BGB official flamer template shape.  It is not quite 8 3/16" long, which is shorter than even my 3rd edition plastic.  I don't know what has me shaking my head more, that the hard plastic green ones are almost 8.5", or that in 3 separate instances of GW defined template sizes, none of them agree with each other. 

(And the difference is more than can be accounted for by measurement error, as the measurement error on both measures I made is +- 1/32", and the actual measurement for the book template would be 8 5/32" +- 1/32, while the 3rd ed. plastic is 8 8/32" +- 1/32, and I assume that Dam1en's tape measure has markings in sixteenths of an inch.  He said short of 8.5", so if we assume 8 7/16" to be generously low, that's still not even close to either of the other two measurements even with a 1/32" error.  And yes, 1/32 is the correct error - for a measuring device like a ruler, error is 1/2 the smallest marked increment, and you're supposed to ballpark to half of marked increments as appropriate).

Yep, its even greater if you have a 2nd ed flamer... yegads. Those things are closer to 9 and a quarter IIRC.

And there were three sizes (or was it two?).  At one time Hand Flamers, Flamers, and Heavy Flamers all had their own template.

Yep, its even greater if you have a 2nd ed flamer... yegads. Those things are closer to 9 and a quarter IIRC.

And there were three sizes (or was it two?).  At one time Hand Flamers, Flamers, and Heavy Flamers all had their own template.

I remember 2, but its been... 14 years?

IIRC it was the hand flamer, flamer and sisters of battle flame cannon were the three different templates.  The heavy flamer was the same as the flamer even back then.  Whilst the flame cannon was basically 2 flamer templates side by side.

I did have the hand flamer template way back when, but if it's anywhere it's somewhere in a wardrobe at my parents house ;)

As we're on a nostalgia tour - does anybody remember the old sonic weapon template from the 2nd edition chaos book?

I miss those wierd and wonderful aspects of 2nd edition sometimes.

IIRC it was the hand flamer, flamer and sisters of battle flame cannon were the three different templates. The heavy flamer was the same as the flamer even back then. Whilst the flame cannon was basically 2 flamer templates side by side.

I did have the hand flamer template way back when, but if it's anywhere it's somewhere in a wardrobe at my parents house msn-wink.gif

As we're on a nostalgia tour - does anybody remember the old sonic weapon template from the 2nd edition chaos book?

Found them, they are in the Dark Millenium book. Hand Flamer, Flamer, and Destructor (used by Eldar Psyker powers) templates.

Gurth: I will only note that to "place the template" is a technical phrase refering to the p52 template procedures for firing the template, and consists of other restrictions besides the template being on the table.

Thank you, you made me laugh out loud there smile.png

IIRC it was the hand flamer, flamer and sisters of battle flame cannon were the three different templates. The heavy flamer was the same as the flamer even back then. Whilst the flame cannon was basically 2 flamer templates side by side.

I did have the hand flamer template way back when, but if it's anywhere it's somewhere in a wardrobe at my parents house msn-wink.gif

Found them, they are in the Dark Millenium book. Hand Flamer, Flamer, and Destructor (used by Eldar Psyker powers) templates.

offtopic.gifThe Destructor template is the one on the right.

http://i1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb440/Cactus-/20130624_175626_zpsaac74e87.jpg

Comparison with a Dark Vengeance flamer template.

http://i1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb440/Cactus-/20130624_175846_zps15c7bbd8.jpg

Heavy flamer. You had a choice between a single template with two chances at hitting each target, or two templates side by side.

Archived