Back for a new chance at redemption

Jaminos

So I stopped playing just before the new rules came out and took a long break from the game. However, I am back and ready to start my war on the enemies of man once again.

I have been doing some research about what was changed about the Same Angels and sadly I have heard very little positive.

I use to run heavy DW army before I stopped playing. However I'm not sure if it would be smart to go full DW this time around. I would like to build a semi competitive list but am not even sure where to begin.

So let's assume I don't have any flies and have nothing to speak of for the RW. Should I ally with another army or can I fix this in house?

Welcome back to the pain :)

The concepts haven't changed: our terminators (just like any other) continue suffer from massed rolling rather than big guns.

The thing is that 6th edition (actually the last months of 5th were also like that) favours high count/low value models/units.

Everybody tries to simply drown the opponent in saturation rather than quality...and we don't perform well there.

On top of that, the assault fase got more random (2d6 charges, 3d6 take the 2 lowest if terrain), Fearless mantains is positive no-breaking rule but doesn't have the downfall of taking wounds if you lose the combat...which at first seems good for us but since we usually win combats we can't play that to our favour vs fearless opponents.

Which means that an average enemy will only offer "blobs" to assault, tarpitting you DW units or delaying them in a way you can't work towards the objectives (which are 5/6 missions).

Given our traditional lack of mobility (sure, we DS but then we're on foot), vehicle-screening is even tougher on us, so they can play pinball with our units fairly easy.

We have won some interesting options such as a non-scatter Belial or TL-shooting the turn we land. Also, we can bring down as many units we want in turn 1...but can't go full DS, since we need half the units deployes.

All in all, I'd say 5th vs 6th edition DW got a bit more expensive in points, though more flexible in options/unit sizes.

It's still fun, has the same feeling and all.

But the game has changed significantly...and exactly to our advantage.

If you simply wanna get rolling and just want to go for easy-going games...DW is fine.

For cut-throat, competitive enviroments...extreme lists are always a gamble. Not even the RW with Banner of Devastation is an easy win (even taking into account its an extremely finness army).

I'd suggest get a couple games, find first hand what you feel for and probably either go for double wing or ally with that army you've always wanted to try but haven't really gotten to grips for.

Hope it helps!

Well at my local 40k group, unfortunately a good portion of the players are super competitive and talk more smack then should be warranted in what is suppose to be a friendly game. So I want to try and make my DA a force to fear. If I have to leave my DW on the sidelines, I will. I have a Tau player who is a little to cocky and I want to show him that his battlesuits are not as Invincible as he thinks. But range is the bane of the foot slogging DW.

So I need to build. list that can adapt to lounge range fighters.

Haven't played the new Tau but as general guideline:

- Long range plus improved cover...its not your deal. DA should not get into a shooty competition with one of the most shooty armies

- Suit spam: they suffer from exactly the same as terminators... saturation. They don't have invuls IIRC, but can be cover improved, so I'd say it balances out...unless you come up close and person. Hey, guess what: terminators are pretty good upclose!

Without being a fully kitted list (that's what we have the army section for), I'd go for something like:

1 x Belial + 2x10 terminator units: massive point sink but true to DW heart. VERY hard to shift only with pew pew and if properly timed and placed will give the Tau serious trouble. Cutting them to 8 man each would still be ok and a hard rock.

2 x plasma vets in pod: these can be robed guys or IG vets or SW Wolf guard...whatever works with points/style/money/models

2 x CHEAP units (scouts? WW?) that can allow you to reserve the 3 DW units.

Game plan? Hide and seek with the camping/reserve-allowing units slam in turn 1 with ALL the terminators and 1 pod and focus on the suits

Caveat: this is list tailoring, which IMO not only is seldomly effective (you are making an extreme army even more extreme) but certainly will not perform vs a normal competitive enviroment...specially if your opponents are in the 80+ bodies, high rate/low S shots.

Hope it helps!

I refuse to try and out pew pew a Tau army. I happened to get lucky back in fifth because I had my whirlwind giving him nice fat templates to whittle down his army but now he goes with battle suits and tanks.

However I do have a very diverse list of players I have to fight. Tau, Necron, Chaos, Dark Elder, Nids and at least three different chapters of space marines.

So is a Thunder hammer and Storm shield worth having for the main weapons of my termies or should I keep them with fist and bolter?

But as my current collection goes. I have one Rhino. One Whirlwind, four 10 man tactical squads. Two Devastator squads, Five squads of Terminators. One squad is currently all wielding dual lightning claws. One Librarian in Terminator honors, one Chaplain in Terminator honors, Belial, Ezekiel, Chapter Master, 3 man squad of bikers, Dreadnought, regular chaplain.

That is off of the top of my head. I do not have much in the ways od f heavy armor. However I do have plenty of laz cannons and almost a squads worth of rocket launchers.

I have considered shelling out some cash and trying a hybrid army of DA and Gray Knights, but only after I have got the system pegged down again.

Are there any Space marine armies that pair well with the the DA or are they more of a solo chapter?

Hi there,

You got quite a collection :)

I gave you a general idea in my previous post so you can start working/using proxies and get a sense of what fits better for you.

My suggestion is that you put an army together, give it a couple games and come back to us in the army subforum to see if we can aid you.

Regards!

After poking around on the internet and watching what works and what doesn't, I am going to ally in with the Space Wolves when I can afford to buy a good force that will supplement some of my weak areas I plan on fixing on a future list.

For now I am going to go a more Deathwing style army. I will give them as much ranged cover as my list will allow. But I see a lot of foot slogging in my future.

My first mach back in the saddle will either be against BA or DE. I have a friend who is willing to let me stumble around with 6th edition on him for a couple matches to help me get the feel for the game again.

Archived