New DA army and I have some questions

I have been playing 40K for around 10 years, and I had to take an unwanted break from the game for a few years. I decided that with the release of the relatively new Codex and the new rule editions, now was the time to make my return. I was hoping my fellow Dark Angels players could give me some feedback on which units they've had success with, which HQ choices have worked the best for them, and if the Ravenwing or the Deathwing were a viable choice with the new Codex.

I'm really excited to get started on this new army because the Dark Angels have always been my favorite chapter, and it finally seems like GW didn't crap on with the new Codex. Any help or feedback would be greatly appreciated!!!

The HQ's I like the best are basic Librarians and chaplains. But If
you want to run death or raven wing then the named characters are the preferred choice.

Units that have been my MVP's in
my mixed wing have been my basic run of the mill Tactical marines. They
do there job well and it could be that I like they so much because I
have been playing Orks and just got back into the marine game the last
few weeks, But I like to just think the green machine likes we weather
its there skin or there armor. thumbsup.gif

Also been really liking the RWAS they are a blast and really points effective.

Just
my two cents I think mostly that units will succeed or fail depending
on the list that they are in. You have to build lists to support the
units you take not just haphazardly throw things on the table. Though
marines are a little bit better at doing that then other armies.

Thanks brother, I really appreciate the info. It's been difficult trying to get back into the swing of things because things have changed so much. At least the Dark Angels have seemingly changed for the better. And it's been a long time coming. LoL

Well....do you want to play ravenwing, deathwing, or a battle company list?  While I like basic libbies (with prescience and a power field generator, attached to a unit of lascannon devastators!) and interrogator chappies, I actually favor Azrael for leading a green list.  Especially in an environment where vehicles are so badly crippled by the rules that you're likely to have a lot more infantry on the field to benefit from Azzy's buffs.  Sure, he also unlocks termie and bike troops...but I don't think that's anywhere near the best reason for fielding him. 

Anyway, one of my favorite units at the moment (as mentioned above) is a full ten devastators with four lascannons (IIRC, they cost as much as missile devastators did in the old book!) and a librarian with prescience and a PFG attached to the squad.  That gives you four twinlinked lascannons with six meat shields and a 4+ invulnerable save.  MONEY!

I like them all and am especially keen on azrael since he's nearly an aegis, apothecary, sgt for all squads, and a CC beast. Plus preferred enemy csm from inner circle gets shared to his squad as well. Gives devs a better shot at helldrakes.

Hello. I was thinking about starting a new thread but if you don't mind I'll post here:

My question is, how do I expand after Dark Vengeance ? My friend offered to sell the Dark Angels part cheap, and I'll most likely use them as allies for my Sisters for long range support and plasma, but considering how many minis there are in the starter I decided that I might as well start collecting them. As such, what can I do with them and what should I buy next ? Ravenwing is cool but a bit too pricy to me and while Terminators are badass I prefer to keep them as the few and Elite. So, I guess what I'm asking is: is there any point in play Dark Angels with mainly Tacticals and Scouts ? What vehicles should I get ? I prefer the idea of a light, mechanized force with a tank and maybe a Whirlwind as support.

@SinnerBeta -   Tacticals are great if you gunline them with banner but lack mobility.  Scouts are okay at monsterous creature hunting (riptide, tyranid biggies, deamons, etc).  Vehicles, I like typhoon speeder squads(75 pt 2 ML and HB each), the vindicator (takes heat off other units), Rhino's provide cheap mobility.  Although if you want a mechanized force it can start to get expensive (money wise)

try looking here http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/276726-effective-triple-wing-1850/

The short of it is I ran a list that utilizes the DV set.  With just a bit of customization and a few more units you can create a cheap,
efficient force.

Good luck and welcome both of you

The thing that elevates tacticals for the DA is the Standard of Devastation. In the era of cheap infantry spam you need to find a force multiplier, and the Dakkapole is it. Unfortunately, this means that for the most part you will want to operate as a gunline, although you could grab some Rhinos then pile out and into gunline formation.

In addition, if you want to best utilise your DV miniatures then you should run the company master as Azrael. He has the same weapon load out so can be a straight counts-as miniature, and will automatically give you 3 troop choices off the bat.

2 Whirlwinds are a good addition, as they are cheap and effective in pairs. You could add in a Land Raider for Azrael and the Terminators as a Dedicated transport, and support them with a Predator as your 3rd HS slot.

Hope that gives you some ideas :)

Yes. Although I'm thinking about keeping the Company Master as he is - while I almost always use SC with Sisters, I think I would like to field one badass nameless dude in power armor to represent me ;p Just always had a soft spot for HQs that stay light and look more like generals rather than CC monsters.

Plus he's cheap, gets me the Command Squad and can potentially stay dakka.

Also, in case I decide going gunline, what do you think of the Fortress of Redemption ? I never fielded any fortification other than Aegis for the Sisters since they need to get into that 12", but man does that thing look cool and fluffy for the Dark Angels.

@march10k I was planning on building the 3rd company, with the possibility of adding a full Deathwing army later. So all of that was very helpful.

@sinnerbeta No, I do not mind you posting your questions here in the least.

And from what I'm reading here is that everyone that has posted is pretty keen on using Azrael, so that sounds like what I need to look into doing. Especially with the lowered cost of Lascannons. Thanks guys I appreciate all the help thus far. Please, keep the advice coming.

Ah, I'm getting close to finishing the 5th company, myself. One ML dev squad and one LC one, four plas/plas tac squads, one melta/MM tac squad, and one assault squad down, last tac squad and the other assault squad yet to come. I've found that three ten man plas/plas/ps squads is never a bad start to a list. You will find, however, as others have mentioned, that battle company lists have a mobility problem. My own solution to that is assault marines. Most people are stuck in the mindset of them being expensive and easy prey in shooting and assault. That was true when they were 25 points per model. Now a squad of ten with no upgrades except for a power sword costs as much as a plas/plas/ps tactical squad...ten points more gets you a pair of flamers. Sure, they only have power armor, but they're no longer over costed, and they're brutal against any GEQ they come across, while they have the mobility to deny OBJs and tie up devastators (and their equivalents) while avoiding nearly anything that outmatches them in melee. A very useful unit that needs to overcome the legacy of having been 25ppm. Under ideal conditions, they can throw off 50 s4 attacks (including the pistol shots, or 48 with flamers...but how many models did the flamers touch. Back up over 50, then!). That's not a crappy unit, but people say they are because they don't have rending or more power weapons...for under 20ppm fully kitted, you can't ask for more, and comparing them to a 350 point Death Star unit as if they cost the same is pure BS.

Fully agree with March10K,

Assault Squads are pretty decent if used in a tactical vein and not expected to be a counter to death stars. Counter assault or Counter attack they are quite decent. They are also perfect for backfield disruption and speed bumps. Best I managed was to allow a Tac and Dev Squad fir on a full squad of Nobz then counter attacked with the Assault Squad and Chappy. Wiped them clean minus the Big mek who promptly died to mass fire power. Are they incredible? No. Can they be incredibly useful? Yes if used right just don't leave them unsupported like everything else in this codex synergy is what its all about. Will they be a Black Knight unit? Not at all but they don't cost as much and they certainly don't scream "shoot me" on the enemies target priority list.

My 2cents as always

DoC

+1 to what march said.  Assault Squads can aspire to adequacy as an assault unit with a Chaplain leading them, but their real utility is their mobility - better thought of as a rapid reaction unit than as a primary-purpose assault unit.  Jump packs let you get them where you need them fast, and with a greater troop density than you'd get with Ravenwing Attack Squadrons.  Plus, now our Assault Squads can tote flamers again, and there are few better flamer platforms than an Assault Squad.

On the subject of using the DV Company Master as Azrael: the head is a separate bit.  So, if you could get a bare head for him and somehow get ahold of Azzy's Helmet Bearer, you'd actually wind up with a much cooler looking Azzy than the official model.

Hmm...I might just do that!

Get a relic bearer from the DW command box.  (You should be able to find them on fleabay from a bits supplier) 

But what is stopping you from saying "but he's got his hat on?"  the way the bearer's rules are written it doesnt even have to be on the table and then the master is a direct stand in.

After a box of DV, I would get a second box of DV minis and maybe a Devistator box to swap weapons with (if wanted) and a termie/DW command box to modify the two squads of DV termies...   Azzy, two tac, two termie and a RW squadron is an automatic 5 troops choices and an army with mobility (bikes), Heavy infantry and firepower all wrapped up in one.

Archived