of skilled riders and their shrouds

Tiger9gamer

Why would they not stack?  They are two different rules that give different bonuses - SR gives +1 to jink while Stealth improves your cover save by one.  So Black Knights who move and are in range of a Dark Shroud have a cover save of 4+, with +1 to the roll, meaning that you only fail on a roll of 1 or 2.  It effectively gives you a 3+ cover save.

Only mathematically, not as a matter of principle: Jink gives you a 5+; stealth buffs this to 4+; shrouded buffs that to 2+; meaning that there's nowhere for Skilled Rider to increase it, since save buffs never go better than to 2+. SR would still stack with Stealth or Shrouded on their own, though...

Well i need to understand where RWBK get shrouded AND stealth...

It's 2 different things

The darkshroud gets the jink +1 if it  moves 12" + 2 due to the shroud rule = 2+ cover save

A unit of RWBK within 6" of a shroud gets the jink + 1 with the skilled rider + 1due to the proximity of the Darkshroud... = 3+ cover save + 1 if they turbo-boost = 2+ cover save

So basically both gets a 3+ cover save which raise to 2+ if they don't shoot to move fast...

Other than that you still have the possibility of a character on bike with shroud of heroes => jink + shroud +turboboost (or dark shroud within 6") = 2+ cover save

But I don't understand when you're talking about a game where the rule don't stack... :unsure:

Just going to copy and paste something I posted in my local gaming forum, since this question came up a few months ago. . . .

I would say yes, they stack.

Jink: Models with this rule moves in the movement phase, they get a 5+ cover.

Skilled Rider: Ignores Dangerous Terrain tests and gains +1 to their Jink save.

Stealth: Counts your cover save as 1 point better than normal.

Skilled Rider improves your Jink save. And since Jink is a cover save, stealth would then make your cover save 1 point better. So a moving Skilled Rider biker would have a 3+ cover. A 2+ for turbo boosting as well!

Add shrouded and you'll have a 2+ cover save for just normal moving.

It works because jink is a cover save. Stealth improves your cover save while skilled rider improves your jink save.

the argument was, since it doesn't improve anything other than your jink saves and doesn't affect anything else. then boosts like stealth and shrouded do not affect it.

is that true? because If not I was cheated outof a 2+ cover save

Sounds to me, you were cheated out of a 2+ save.

The abilities arguably stack to me and you'll always easily be able to reach at least a 3+ cover save. Stealth and Shroud definitely affect cover saves - which is what jinking is.

Karma'll get them back...

You got cheated. Read what I posted, then read the rules. Stealth really does say it improves your cover save by one. Jink is a cover save. Skilled rider improves your jink. So they all stack.

Aaaaah ok got it

The problem is that he considers the save granted by jink like a jink save and not a cover save. And since wordswise, jink is different from cover, a rule that improve cover doesn't improve jink. Am I right?

To me it's like saying that the eldar fusion gun could not profit from the"melta" rule because its name is fusion gun and not melta gun. This weapon has the melta rule in its profile so you role the 2d6.

Same thing here : jink gives you a cover save that may be improved (and denied) like any cover save.

Aaaaah ok got it

The problem is that he considers the save granted by jink like a jink save and not a cover save. And since wordswise, jink is different from cover, a rule that improve cover doesn't improve jink. Am I right?

To me it's like saying that the eldar fusion gun could not profit from the"melta" rule because its name is fusion gun and not melta gun. This weapon has the melta rule in its profile so you role the 2d6.

Same thing here : jink gives you a cover save that may be improved (and denied) like any cover save.

Pretty much, Jink is a special cover save. All skilled rider does is improve that Jink save while stealth improves your cover save. So all of them stack :)

It's not a special cover save, it's A cover save... 

More precisely it's a special rule that gives you a cover save. Just like aegis defense line is a special army choice that give you a cover save. 

Aegis gives you a cover save not because it says so. It gives you a cover save because it's a defense line and when you read the description of the defense line, it states that you gain a 4+ cover save. Do people argue that you cannot stack with the shroud bonus because it's a defense line cover save and not a cover save?

No. Because it's a cover save.

I think its worded the way it is to prevent skilled rider from boosting covers saves when your bikers are behind cover (and getting/using the save from that).

So yeah, you probably got cheated out of it.

It's not a special cover save, it's A cover save... 

More precisely it's a special rule that gives you a cover save. Just like aegis defense line is a special army choice that give you a cover save. 

Aegis gives you a cover save not because it says so. It gives you a cover save because it's a defense line and when you read the description of the defense line, it states that you gain a 4+ cover save. Do people argue that you cannot stack with the shroud bonus because it's a defense line cover save and not a cover save?

No. Because it's a cover save.

Now you're just arguing semantics. We both agree that a skilled rider biker with stealth that moves gets a 3+ cover save.

The question is answered :)

Archived