Blood Angels (As "fluffy" Angry Marines) Alies

Hyphont

Hello all, long time lurker on these forums... used to have an old account, forgot the name and pass, so i made a new one.  Anyhow, been out of 40k for about 3 years, came back to a shiny new Dark Angels Codex (Squee)  and Dark Angels themed box set (double Squee).  Spotted the Allies section in the rule book and saw an awesome opportunity to do a fairly large and "fluffy" Angry Marines Ally force, using Blood Angels(about 800 points worth).

I have a couple load outs, but I'm not really super sure on how to cobble this together, or what would be best.  I'm going to use them as allies primary for my Sisters of Battle, Dark Angels and IG armys.  All mostly shooty armies that could use a nice obnoxious, distracting and most importantly, deadly distraction.

A bit about the Angry Marines for those not familiar, In the writings, funny as they are, tend not to use bolt weapons, and consider bolt pistols to be several colorful words for "weak".  They opt for chain swords, power fists, power wrenches, Power Bats, Choppas or pretty much anything to assist in caving someones skull in.

Knowing this i saw Death Company as an obvious choice to represent these crazy angry fellows.  Here is what i came up with so far:

800 Points:

Storm Raven: TL Multi Melta & Assault Cannons

5 Death Company w/ Jump packs, 4 power swords, 4 power fists (2x guys with Chain sword/power sword, 2 with power sword, power fist, 1 with dual fists)

Libby With Jump pack and Unleash Rage & Sword of Sanguine psychic powers.

Death Company Dreadnought w/ Magna Grapple.

I was unsure of trying to just go with foot powered Death Company instead of the jump pack version, or trying to squeeze the extra 25 points to swap the Libby for the DC special character Chaplin.

Also, does he count as a "character" for the purposes of duals, not really sure how Death Company and the whole Challenge thing goes.  Was also thinking of using a regular Furioso Dread instead of DC dread for the higher armor and weapon skill.

My thought process here is the Death company can drop out of the Storm raven with Angels of Decent, Harass some infantry or dev. squad somewhere, or just about anything really, send the dreadnought after a nice annoying vehicle, and then harass things with the storm raven's melta and assault cannons.  Wanted to add hurricane bolters, but i couldn't justify the 30 points.

Its a bit heavy for an allied detachment.  But i think it would be fun to build and convert stuff over into a Angry Marines force.  Any feed back would be much appreciated.

Since you're already putting the DC in a raven, I'd go without packs. You fly in the turn you arrive from reserve and enter hover mode in the next, spitting the DC into the enemy's heart. They'll be able to assault, considering the Stormraven is an assault vehicle. For the same points, you can double up the size of that squad and make it into a meat grinder. And if you make a character join them, I'd go with a Reclusiarch over a Libby. The DC, when lead by a Chaplain, re-roll failed to hit and failed to wound rolls. There's nothing that unit doesn't kill. For equipment, I think a couple of axes and a single fist do them well enough. No point in wasting so much money on overkill-producing equipment.

I agree with Baba. A main weakness is relying on a 4+ to get 800 pts on the board at turn 2, best case scenario.

DC talon dread in raven is rather solid. I'll try and find points for hurricane bolters by greatly altering your HQ and DC squad:

HQ: Reclusiarch, Terminator armour, combi-melta.

DC: 8 Mad men. Drop pod. 2 axe, 1 fist, 1 infernus pistol.

Total: 430 points, thus 30 left for hurricane bolters.

Deployment: Reclusiarch closest to enemy to tank weak shooting on 2+ save. Anything that ignores his 2+ save or Instagib you Lo,S to the squad.

I issue a bolter to all my DC. Relentless is nice. :)

I'd just go with a pod, it fits their fluff better.

I've been considering making up a unit of AM for a little while, and this is how I'd run them:

Tycho or Seth

9 Death Company, Bolters, Power chair, power baseball bat, power guardsman, power feet, 1power sack of doorknobs, 1 power brick,   (all count as power mauls), 1 Thunder Mallet.

Drop pod

495pts.

Alternatively swap 1DC with power weapon for a chaplain for the rerolls for 560pts, although using the chappy means you don't get a furioso. 

Seth has a massive sword. Tycho kills things with his bare hand, and has a melta can opener.

Like the drop pod idea. Was mostly using the storm raven cause it was sitting in a box and I could totally see angry marines using one and smashing it directly into enemies. I even have a conversion in the works for the angry techmarine climbing out of the cockpit (raven still flying) flipping off whatever is in frount of the storm raven.

I completly forgot about the changes to power weapons, ill reevaluate that with those changes in mind.

I would love love to use seth. Not only does he have his super chain sword but he kicks people in the groin for missing him. Reclusiarch would be awesome too. Would give me a opertunity to create Mofo and his signature crosis. Can droppods carry termies now?

Question on Tyco: as death company does he still count as a character? Not to sure how that works with death company.

Sorry for the spelling errors here. Making the post from work on my phone so no spell check.

I had some time to sit down and read some of the newer rules involving fliers, really haven't used them at all yet.  So the Storm Raven will not deliver my murders in a timely fashion.  The point of them is to be a incredibly frighting distraction and kill a few key targets (ideally 2) keeping fire and attention from my other forces.

So yeah, seems like the drop pod is the way to go here.

This is what I've come up with:

7 Death Company, 6 Power weapons (2x Power Maul[power sack of door nobs & Power Steel Chair], 3x Power Swords[Power Baseball Bat], 2 x Power Axes, 1 Thunder Wrench[Thunder Hammer], 2x Power Fists, and an inferno pistol.

Set up like: 2 with maul, 1 with sword, 1 with sword and melta pistol, 1 with sword and axe, 1 with thunder hammer, 1 with dual fists (wasteful i know, but totally awesome)

Captain Tycho (None DC version so i can attach his crazy self)

Chaplin w/ terminator Armor, and combi-melta.

Total: 670 Points.

I figure then can drop in, nuke a nuisance of a vehicle  and then, after weathering a turn of fire (hopefully) smash into a nearby squad, preferably on an objective, or devastators, anti air units, stuff like that.

Only question i have is about Tycho's dead man's hand.  Does it not have an AP value?  Codex just said "ignore armor saves" and i have not been able to find otherwise.  AP2 punching at I5 is pretty impressive,

Any thoughts?

It's not AP2. It just ignores armour saves. Opponents get none at all, just invuns. They also get FnP against it as Tycho is S4. - Says as much in the FAQ.

The ignoring all amour at I5 is one of the reasons to take Tycho.

HQ: Reclusiarch, Terminator armour, combi-melta.

DC: 8 Mad men. Drop pod. 2 axe, 1 fist, 1 infernus pistol.

Total: 430 points, thus 30 left for hurricane bolters.

Deployment: Reclusiarch closest to enemy to tank weak shooting on 2+ save. Anything that ignores his 2+ save or Instagib you Lo,S to the squad.

I issue a bolter to all my DC. Relentless is nice. smile.png

I really like this idea of a tanking terminator reclusiarch. Do you usually support them with other drop pod units or run them solo as a distraction/suicide unit?

@Hyphont: I just did an image search for Angry Marines and I can't believe I've never heard of these guys until now. It's awesomely hilarious! devil.gif There's a cool conversion on a stormraven I found that sounds llike what you were planning. I approve

Archived