A single speeder

War Angel

I can't remember how many points they are, but I have 50 points to spare in my 1500 drop pod list. It would sadly be the only thing on the field when the game starts, but I figured I could hid it somewhere and still be able to move it into some kind of range.

So would one speeder be worth it? And what weapon options do I have for 50 Pts. I'm not even sure if I can get the one to be honest.

A single Land Speeder with either a Heavy Bolter or Heavy Flamer is 50 points. However, I don't personally think it's worth taking in that configuration, especially not if you are going to deploy it at game start. Why not Deep Strike it?

It's difficult to know what else to suggest without knowing the rest of the list. Have you considered adding a Techmarine? You can add him to any Infantry Pod unit to give a character with a 2+ save and both I4/S4 and I1/S8 attacks. Even without the Servo Harness they can be pretty unpleasant additions to a Squad (and if you can spare the points to get the Servo Harness they add a whole bunch of threat to a unit).

Koremu, I believe the reason why War Angel says it will be on the board first turn is because it doesn't have to arrive by Deep Strike, it has a choice. Therefore, it cannot be held back as the rest of his army has been held back in Reserve.

The other thing you can buy War Angel is an Aegis Line. Could be useful, you never know. Or of course there's the Techmarine, or a single MM AB, which is easier to hide and probably will do more.

If you're running single Speeders, you want them in Typhoon, MM/HF, 2x HB, MM, 2x MM or 2x HF patterns, all of which seem beyond you at the moment.

I see. The tech priest has the same issue as the land speeder however, and would have to start in the board.

I've posted it before an gotten no response, but I could potentionaly post my list and other suggestions be made to it. One of the tactical squads is not set in stone, so perhaps some rearrangement could benefit the list?

If you attach him to a unit he won't have to start on the board, drop pods also hold 12 people after all so can assign him to a squad? The rules for reserves say a dedicated transport and any character which is attached to a unit counts as one unit for the purpose of identifying reserves and the likes =]

Koremu, I believe the reason why War Angel says it will be on the board first turn is because it doesn't have to arrive by Deep Strike, it has a choice. Therefore, it cannot be held back as the rest of his army has been held back in Reserve.

But it's a Drop Pod army, you don't count things that *have* to be kept in Reserve, and it's "half, rounded up".

So if you have only one unit that doesn't have to start in Reserve, then you can keep it in Reserve, no?

Re-reading it (and reading the loooooong thread disputing this on OR), it appears that the rule is not well written (which, this being GW, is not that surprising).

However, for your purposes I think that any Infantry or Walker (Dreadnought) Unit is deploying by Drop Pod, then it does not count towards the {total number of units which do not have to be placed in Reserve}

ICs appear NEVER (at least in a Space Marine army) to count towards that number, therefore if you want a completely Reserve Army, you can have 1 IC and everything else in Pods.

So yes, you are correct and the Land Speeder would have to start on the board. Which is irritating.

My only suggestion is to see if you can free up another 45 points and take a unit of 3 Scout Bikers with a Locator Beacon, because those guys are hilarious when combined with a Pod army. 

I would be afraid of getting tabled if you only have a 2HP land speeder on the board first turn.  If you go first, all is well, but if you don't then something that is hard to hide (like a flying land speeder) could lose you the game in 5 minutes.

EDIT: It appears I am a dummy, and tabling is only factored in at the end of the game turn, so ignore this post

'When deploying their armies, players can choose not to deploy
up to half of their units (rounding up) keeping them as Reserves
to arrive later. Units that must start the game in reserve are
ignored for the purposes of working out how many other units
may do so. A unit and its Dedicated Transport are counted as a
single unit for these purposes. Independent Characters are also
counted as a single unit regardless of whether they have joined
another unit or not. During deployment, when declaring which
units are kept as Reserves, the player must clearly explain the
organisation of his Reserves to the opponent.  - P124 of the rule book.

It appears that an independent characters always count as an independent unit, so the way you would get around this is putting the rune priest in a drop pod attached to a squad! He will count as a unit himself but with the drop pod assault rules he will be on the board in your first turn so could still get away with it? 

All these replies and no mention of the MM attack bike?

Much better pick than the single weapon speeder.

The other thing you can buy War Angel is an Aegis Line. Could be useful, you never know. Or of course there's the Techmarine, or a single MM AB, which is easier to hide and probably will do more.

If you're running single Speeders, you want them in Typhoon, MM/HF, 2x HB, MM, 2x MM or 2x HF patterns, all of which seem beyond you at the moment.

Highlighted it for ease of reading. ;)

It's what I'd spend the points on, either that or a Techmarine. If neither, then lots and lots of upgrades.

Drop Cassius to a Libby, drop the Tactical squad power fist, drop the Sternguard lightning claw. That's 115pts right there, which should be a Stormtalon. If you lose a heavy flamer or a combi somewhere (or 2) you can get it skyhammers.

Thanks, one day I'll give that a try. I'll need a third storm talon in order to do that though. And I'll have to build a second sternguard squad and another Tac squad. Also I'll need to finish my Libby.

http://i1299.photobucket.com/albums/ag77/lastdogangle/43FBB44C-5969-4F56-A6A8-D97B4F05ED13-47966-000044FC97DBAADD_zps91948740.jpg

From left to right: Chaplain Thornton, GySgt (unnamed), SSgt Issac

As I said in the linked thread with the Army list on it, if you drop Cassius to get a Librarian, drop the expensive upgrades and drop the Plasma Cannon on the second Tactical Squad for something that can snap fire on landing, you should be able to add a Dreadnought in a Pod.

Archived