Ravenwing Attack Squad Sizes

captain sox

Hi Folks,

Just starting to dabble in Ravenwing (now that I have Sammael on Sableclaw model) I want to add some bikes, attack bikes and Black Knights 

Do most of you go with 6 strong in a RAS? I plan to run 2 suqads of either 4 or 5 with HB Attack bike, then 1 squad of 3 or 4 with Metla Gun /Multi Melta attack bike.

Will add 6 Black Knights eventually and a Command Squad. Also have 2 Nephlims and about 9 speeders in the works. But first things first, bikes. 

Plan to run mostly a "mixed wing" utilising Scouts, Tactical, RAS, Deathwing and Devastator Squads.

So with that said, is it best to run smaller or larger RAS?

Thanks folks!

sox

Melta squads are best as 3 man units with 2 meltaguns for 100 points - cheap and great for outflanking :)

Big squads can be 5 or 6 without too much loss of effectiveness imo. Obviously if you are running the Standard of Devastation then the more bikes the merrier!

With regard to Black Knights, the Command Squad is excellent value as it can go up to 5 bikes and each bike is 2 points cheaper than the Fast Attack BK equivalent.... Not to mention the other force multiplier aspects of banners etc

Oh, and welcome to the Rock! :)

So with the 3 man Melta squad, would you attach the MM Attack bike? or Deploy it separately?

Thanks Facmanpob!

Been on the Rock a while, but have never really considered using bikes in my army. I'm mostly a DW fan, but want to add some new stuff to my bag o tricks!

:)

It's in the special rules section of the digital codex, not sure where it is in the paper codex. Same for the land speeder if you purchase one with the Ravenwing Assault Squad.

Having a full 6 to combat squad into units of three does make them easier to kill....   But a combat squad of three with two casualties (one biker left) can still claim objectives because it is above 25%....  The full three must be killed to deny a scoring unit.  A squad of 5 would need two bikers to be over 25% and could only claim one objective instead of two if it had been combat squaded.

my 2p...  I find that most of my opponents know this anyway and continue to go for the kill point of the lone biker...

Is 2 - 3 man combat squads viable though? I've never run bikes before, and having 3 bikes in a 'squad' seems really small and possibly easy to kill? Also, would you put any upgrades on the combat squads?

Dean, you'll be happy to hear my teal marines are in Simple Green, washing the teal off... smile.png I was having an issue with vehicles/bikes with the teal scheme... So I'm simplifying things a bit laugh.png

The only time I ever run 3-bike squads is with 2 meltaguns as a suicide anti-tank unit (usually out of outflank reserve). I don't as a rule combat squad my 6-bike squads as they are too easy to take down.

Having a full 6 to combat squad into units of three does make them easier to kill....   But a combat squad of three with two casualties (one biker left) can still claim objectives because it is above 25%....  The full three must be killed to deny a scoring unit.  A squad of 5 would need two bikers to be over 25% and could only claim one objective instead of two if it had been combat squaded.

my 2p...  I find that most of my opponents know this anyway and continue to go for the kill point of the lone biker...

Errrr I read that and wait to back home to re-read the objective claiming page and nowhere it states that you have to be above 25% to claim an objective...

So a squad of 5 that suffered 4 losses still hold (or contest if Sammael is not here) an objective though being at 20% of their initial number...

Archived