Drop Pod/Deep Strike... Rules for 6th

Bowlzee

I am new to 6th (last played 3rd edition). I have been told that you must field at least 50% of your force on the table at game start... Is this true?

If true, I imagine Grey Knight Deep Strike army, or a Drop pod army is no longer viable?

Units in a vehicle that must start in Reserve do not count toward the 50% unit limit, nor does the vehicle. Units that have a choice to start in Reserve, such as Terminators (even Deathwing Assault units), do count toward the 50% limit.

If you have no units on the board at the end of any game turn, including turn one, you automatically lose. If you still want to do this I'd recommend you check with your opponent first if he's willing to waive this rule lest you both end up wasting your time. If he decides not to then amend your plans accordingly and get the game going :)

Dont forget Drop-Pod Assault - half of your drop-pods will automatically turn up in your turn 1 - as long as you have enough models there that your enemy cannot wipe them all out in his turn 2 (or his turn 1 if you have first go) you are likely to successfully have a unit or two turn up in turn 2...

Armies that can affect reserve rolls (either their own like Blood Angels with DoA, or IG with fleet officers giving a -1 to enemy reserve rolls) will affect the usefullness of this tactic.

Sorry, I should have clarified I was talking about the rule rather than your musings on plans - Leonaides has the right of it. Just don't make a tiny contribution to your deployment; even being out of line of sight can't protect you from everything!

Wait, I have a question. Lets say I have an all drop pod army with one storm raven carrying a squad. I was under the impression that only dedicated transports that have to come from reserves were exempt from the 50% rule. Therefore the storm raven can't carry anything. Some clarification and page numbers to rules/faqs would be appreciated.

Anything in a vehicle that must start in reserves does not count for the reserves limit...

BRB errata/FAQ v 1.3/feb 2013:

Q: Do units that are transported in a vehicle that MUST start

in reserve count towards the number of units that can be

placed in Reserves? For example , must I count the units in a

Drop Pod or Valkyrie towards the 50%of units I can place in

Reserves? (p124)

A: No.

If all of your units are either fliers or transported within thigns which have to start in reserve, then none of them count for how many units you have in reserve.

That other thread got messy where it mixed all transported in things that have to go in reserve with things that were not if I recall.

This may also be of relevance (same source):

Q: If all of my units are either Flyers or embarked upon Flyers,

will I automatically lose the game as there are none of my

models on the gaming board at the end of Turn 1? (p122)

A: Yes.

The question in my mind is "do those units embarked in units which must start the game in Reserve count towards determining the number of units which may start the game in Reserve?"

Example:

IC

2 Tactical Squads in Drop Pods

1 Dreadnought in a Drop Pod

1 Land Speeder Squadron

Do I have 2 units which do not have to start the game in Reserve (IC & Land Speeders), or do I have 5 (IC, 2 Squads, Dreadnought, Land Speeders)?

The question in my mind is "do those units embarked in units which must start the game in Reserve count towards determining the number of units which may start the game in Reserve?"

Example:

IC

2 Tactical Squads in Drop Pods

1 Dreadnought in a Drop Pod

1 Land Speeder Squadron

Do I have 2 units which do not have to start the game in Reserve (IC & Land Speeders), or do I have 5 (IC, 2 Squads, Dreadnought, Land Speeders)?

Join the IC to a Tac.squad in a Drop Pod, and you only have 1 unit which counts against your reserve limit, allowing everything to start the game in Reserve and deploy via Deep Strike. :tu:

The IC still counts. The transport is not designated to you.

Nor does it need to be, read the BRB FAQ. Any unit embarked on a transport that must start in Reserve does not count. An IC is a unit, and a Drop Pod must start the game in Reserve.

Are you talking about this question? I guess that confirms it

Q: Do units that are transported in a vehicle that MUST start in reserve count towards the number of units that can be placed in Reserves? For example, must I count the units in a Drop Pod or Valkyrie towards the 50% of units I can place in Reserves? (p124) A: No.

Archived