Reclusiarch v Termi Librarian

Thornoo1

I'm after some opinion and experience here.

In the context of a 1500pt list with 3 drop pods carrying 2 melta heavy assault squads, a preist, and a DC squad backed up with IG in the backfield, what works better.  A naked Reclusiarch or a naked Termi Librarian?

Points are tight and I'm looking for the hq choice that will assist me the most in an all comers tourney list.

Cheers.

A librarian is more flexible strategically, but a Chaplain will hit one hell of a lot harder in combat.

Personally, I would go for the librarian. I prefer the tactical adaptability and you can get him to buff your troops in much the same way that the Chaplain does 

Seconded... You'd always put the rec in with the dc, so only using him to make a beat stick more beaty, but the librarian gives you more options to buff melta if you really need to kill a vehicle, or tank for yr dc, etc, and allows some customization vs enemy forces via different powers...

If you're podding in, librarian with Fear of the Darkness is absolutely amazing against a lot of armies, and he can also pack shield of sanguinius, to give your podded troops some more staying power while they wait for reinforcements to cross the field.

I agree with kdruthless.  Also, if you can find the points, get the librarian a Storm Shield.  Its only 20 more points, but gives your Warlord some chance of surviving plasma or AP2 attacks in combat, especially if you end up with the Precognition psychic power.

Plus, the Libby can bless the Guardsmen too, while the Chaplain only affects his unit and only if they're from C:BA.

With this in mind I think I'll take blood lance and shield, the lance fits more in with the squad having 2 melta and 2 infernus.  My list is more of a shooting list rather than a cc list but as usual I'm torn over psychic power selection as I really want powers that are useful all the time.

Take Lance and Shield, and if you see a real need for something different, based on your opponent's list, you can then choose to roll on Divination instead.

The main advantage of keeping codex powers in my opinion is Shield.  Since you can use it in the opponent's turn, its better for deep strikers who can't cast a defensive power when they land, but can pop the 5+ cover just before the enemy begins shooting to ensure they get at least some kind of save against pretty much anything.

If you're running 4 melta weapons in a single squad, I'd wonder if the mileage on Prescience may benefit more than the shot from Lance.  Offense vs. Defense, and I'd make the call game by game based on the opponent.

Archived