Born from the dark: A Dark Angels tale

Jaminos

(I want to first off say thank you for reading my work. I want to also say that this is in no way expected to happen within the 40k universe. It is simply a "what if?" Story. I also apologize for not being as proficient with the Space Marine lingo as many of your awesome writers are. Otherwise, I hope you enjoy)

http://i356.photobucket.com/albums/oo2/The_Concussion_Effect/Warhammer_zpsa99f0604.jpg

The hulking Librarian stood with an odd bundle in his arms. The inner circle stood around the table staring at him. Brother Chronric took a slow breath explaining once more.

"I was attending my duties in the lower levels of The Rock, when a Watcher approached me and told me to see to it's protection. When I asked what it meant. It handed me this."

To prove his point, he showed the inner circle again what was in the bundle.
A human male babe quietly stirred. It's skin was almost pale enough to be compared to a Blood Angel but its hair was deathly white. It had not so much as made a single sound since he had been given possession of it. It's eyes seemed to take I. Everything around it. Nothing phased Chronric. But this child was not a part of his training as an aspirant. Nor was this covered when he was trained as a Librarian of the Dark Angels chapter.

He had faced down the green tide with a zealous grin on his face. He had battle Chaos psykers in a fight to the death of wills. But what did one do now? This perplexed him to no end.

"And what is your thoughts, Master Ezekiel?" Supreme Grand Master Azrael asked pensively, stroking his chin.

The master of the Librarians leveled his one good eye at Azrael.
"The child is an enigma. My attempts of trying to enters its mind have been met with failure. While I do not care to admit it, it was able to send a backlash that nearly crippled me. It would have killed any other Librarian who tried to do as I did."

That brought silence to the assembled members of the Inner Circle. Nothing could stop Ezekiel once he wormed his way into your head. Let alone a newborn who looked perpetually near death.

"What are we even considering?" Master Belial demanded. His robs barely containing the heavy corded muscle that always gave him the perpetual look that he was always wearing his terminator armor even though he was not at this meeting.

"The absolute earliest we consider taking in an aspirant is nine or eight years of age, provided they have passed our tests. Why should we do anything a Watcher asks of us?"

Supreme Grand Master Azrael spoke quietly but it was as if he had cracked a whip in the dark chamber. "Because it is folly not to. They have always served us faithfully since the time of the Lion. They may be mysterious to us. But they may very well be our path of redemption. But first I wish to know all that I can before I make my decision."

Master Belial nodded his head. His rage cooling as quickly as it has appeared. Brother Michaeltaenos, An Apothecary recently raised to the inner circle, began to speak next.

"I have personally examined this child in secret. He is most assuredly human but what surprises me is his gene structure. He has everything an Astartes has internally. I can not stress how impossible that is. Of the 19 implants, he has all of them. Some are not to be given until the Aspirant is near adulthood because the stress the body not able to take."

"Not only that. His work more efficiently than even ours do. These were designed by the God Emperor himself. It is heresy to tamper with the gene-seed. I would have destroyed this child but his blood sings with the grace of the Lion himself. This child could be capable of doing great things. But he MUST not be destroyed. His gene-seed must be studied."

Azrael drummed his fingers on the hilt of The Sword Of Secrets, that he carried on his hip. At last he spoke.

"I find myself in agreement. The child must live. However its existence must not be revealed under pain of death. Until it is old enough to begin the training to become Astartes, it will be raised in secret by certain members of the inner circle. I expect this child to be ready for what is to come. When he is of age, we will secret him in with the Aspirants."

"Brother Chronric, as of today, the child will be in your personal care. Since the Watcher gave him to you, that makes him your responsibility to protect. I will make arrangements so you will not be missed from your duties and so the child we remain secret."

Looking at the gathered Inner Circle he said "Dismissed"
Slowly the Inner circle filed out until it was just Chronic and the child. The child looked at him with surprisingly intelligent looking eyes.

"Well you will hardly do without a name little Aspirant. I shall name you Sevros. That was the name of the god of redemption from the village I was born in. I hardly care for that part of my life. But it shall suit you."

The child smiled for the first time since he had be given him. It appeared to like the name. But now Chronric began to wonder.

What had he just become?

End of chapter one...

(Hope you guys liked it. Let me know if you did!)

(Thanks is teblin for letting me know what you think. I hope more of you let me know what you think. It is always nice to know your work does not go unnoticed)

Eight years later...

Sevros finished the last tome that Brother Chronric, his adoptive father who had under orders, raised him for the last eight years of his short life. It was the last tome of ten he had given him. It was of a recalling of how a Ravenwing biker scout had came across a Necron column. He had called for immediate support from the Deathwing as one of the recruitment planets was in danger.

His squad fought to the last man against an overwhelming force of Necron. The last biker scout standing had dueled a Necron lord for several long minutes. He was beginning to get the upper hand when he was hit with a blast from a Necron ziggurat.

The column moved on, considering him dead. Shortly after the Deathwing reinforcements arrived and was able to bring him back to safety and then pursued the Necron column. Of which, Master Belial destroyed it and a secondary column that was likewise destroyed. Thus saving the planet.

The remaining Ravenwing biker scout's wounds were beyond repair. For his dedication to duty, he was made a dreadnought. One whom still golds the highest record for Necron lord kills. With over twenty seven heads he has collected. Of those, three special heads from three different densities adorn his sarcophagus.

Brother Chronric entered his chamber quietly. His robes pristine. He carried a mysterious tome, covered in chains. Sevros often wondered what secrets could be so important, that it must be chained and always at the Librarian's side.

"What have your learned?" Was all he asked. He waited patiently, his eyes never wavering. He had raised Sevros to be the perfect Dark Angel. To the normal humans he would have been comparable to being a father. However he neither coddled Sevros. Nor did he treat him as a son. He allowed Sevros to call him father only because the Supreme Grand Master had told him to do so. He followed the order without question.

"That as an Astartes, you are expected to sacrifice yourself whenever the chapter demands it to be so. That there is nothing but the success of the mission. However, a Astartes should know when that time comes. It is foolish to die when Xenia charge your position when you could issue a tactical withdrawal and fall back to a better platoon where your Battle brothers can regroup and push the enemy back."

The boy's eyes seemed to glow in the dim as he gave his analysis.

"Each time is a recounting of the sacrifice a Dark Angel made to ensure the safety of his battle brothers. Four tomes hold recounting's of Dark Angels who had foolishly sacrificed themselves, to only ensure the entire annihilation of a squad and the loss of various objectives that had been defending."

Chronric nodded once. It was all that he would give when Sevros had answered correctly. He never praised him for his insight or accomplishments.

The child had a perfect memory. He was always able to learn and understand fully every lesson the Librarian had given him. On rare occasion, the Supreme Grand Master would allow Sevros to walk around the fortress. This was only done under the personal eye of Azrael himself. He would have Sevros wear an exact copy of what the Watchers wore. A heavy robe that would obscure his features.

Because of his short size and odd psychic signature. No Astartes so much as glanced at him. No Astartes was allowed to interfere with a watcher and his duties. It was not an uncommon sight to see Azrael in the company of a Watcher.

Sevros quickly learned the common areas that the Astartes normally were. He was not allowed to watch the Aspirants train. Being told that he would only be allowed to see what Azrael deemed important to his education.

Chronric looked up and down the boy. He was far to small to be a candidate for the chapter. He should be much taller at his age. The Apothecaries theorized that it was due to his genetic implants. He was too young to have them and they believed that it would continue to stunt his growth rather then do the opposite. Making him the living weapon the emperor had intended his Space Marines to be.

The boy's hair was snow white. His eyes sunken and face gaunt. Appearing to always near death even though he was completely healthy. He was nearly half the size of children his age.

"The time for study in seclusion is over. You are to go to one of our recruitment worlds and join in the test. If you live. You will start your path truly to be an Astartes. If you fail you will die."

He said matter-of-factly.

"You will be wearing your special robe to a transport where they have been informed to let you on. You will have three days to get into the tournament. If you fail to get in on time. You will be left on the planet for the rest of your days. Am I understood?"

Beneath the exterior of a child beyond his years, his eyes were alight with a child like eagerness.

"Yes sir."

To be continued...

The Thunderhawk had dropped Sevros off in a forest two Kilometers from the town where the tournament was going to be held.
That was two days ago. In one more day he would be fighting for his life and possibly die. Death was something that had never bothered him. It was a
common chant among all chapters of Space Marines "And they shall knowno fear" why should he start a habit that he would have to break anyhow?

He had spent the first day processing all of the foreign sights and sounds. He had never seen so many humans in his entire life. They were small, weak looking creatures and the females perplexed him. He had heard of the Sisters of Battle. But these creatures hardly qualified for
being women. Let alone the legendary daughters of the emperor. He had spent most of the day cataloging all of the information for later review as well as processing and analyzing the cities defenses and culture and how to best manipulate it to his advantage. It was easier than looking at the sky. He had not seen anything beyond The Rock. His mind kept trying to find a place to find as cover so he would not fall into the endless blue. He knew this was not correct and knew the intricacies of how gravity worked. It was more information he would analyze if he made it back to the Rock alive.

The city was in a only slightly civilized point in their. It had stone walls and a castle that resembled
pictures from Tera in a tome he had read. The people referred to the Dark Angels as the God Knights. They based their culture around them.
The guards all wore steel plate armor that was painted the dark green of the chapter. Sevros could not hold the feeling of contempt of these
weak humans trying to emulate their betters.

The second day he spent finding his squad that he would need to achive victory. Only watch the particularly brutal or smart children who would be old enough to compete. He also narrowed his search to only orphans. He could not let emotions slow his squad down. This city had many of them. But few showed
no fear. Those that did were successful. They had fought the edge of death many times in their short lives. These were who he wanted as his
makeshift Battle Brothers.

The first child he approached was an Orphan who had manipulated a group of much larger children, obviously bred for the tournament, for the sole perpouse to destroy the weak. But these children only were brutes. The use of your brain apparently was not part of the training. All the while he used the distraction to raid a
merchant who was breaking the fight up. He had escaped with enough of the strange fruit he was selling, to feed the child for a week.

He was small. Almost as small as Sevros. With long shaggy black hair. He had intelligent green eyes that were always watching those around him.

Sevros managed to convince him to join his squad by playing a game of strategy. If Sevros could steal more of the strange fruit than the child could. He would join him. At the end of the game. When each child presented their haul, the boy had six of the strange fruit he called "Snow Apples" Sevros had fifteen Snow Apples. They boy said his name was Valentar.

The second and third members of his "squad" were much easier to convince to join. They were two brothers whom had used their nearly flawless use of each other's strengths to take on another group of what Valentar had told Sevros were "slayers" Children raised by knights of the castle in winning the tournament. The two brothers were nearly the same size but one was quick and agile while the other was strong and indomitable. They managed to injure all of the Slayers to the point where they could no longer move. One was not moving but still breathing. Sevros believed him to be paralyzed from the waist down.

The strong brother's name was Damius and the faster brother was Tornus.They immediately saw the advantage of more people to watch your back
than being alone.

The last member of his squad was simply the largest child he had ever seen. While he had seen few children, let alone those near his age. This one could have passed for sixteen. He had heavy muscle and the brightest shade of red hair that he had ever heard of. Already he had a long scar that went from above his right eye to his lower right cheek.

He sat alone in a dark corner to avoid the rain that was now falling. Vanlentar explained that he had been a Slayer who had killed his master after he killed a boy in his group for saying he was tired. The rumors had said he had done it with only his hands. He had gone into hiding to avoid a sure execution. The boy's name was Octavus.

Sevros approached the boy but he did not respond when Sevros introduced himself. He continued to stare at nothing.

"Time is short and I have little time to explain so I make this as short and simple as I possibly can. There is s tournament to be held tomorrow and I plan on not only entering it but winning it. I refuse to be abandoned on this world. I need my fifth man if this is going to work. I am not as
strong as the rest of you but I can keep you alive and give you the promise you will never starve again if we win. But I can only do that if you join me."

Octavus finally looked up and stared at Sevros.

"I care not for food. I can always earn my meals cutting wood or doing some other chore. What I wish is to be away from here as far as I possibly can. Where I can become something more then a dumb brute who kills in the service of the knights order for petty reasons. These knights are unworthy of their title. They have no skill and use their status to continue their lazy lifestyle."

Sevros fought the urge to smile.

"What if I told you I could find you an order of knights who are beyond corruption and only know duty?"

The boy's eyes seemed to focus on him for once. He appeared dimwitted at a glance. But behind his exterior there was a calculating intelligence. Sevros was glad he had found this one. He was the last piece to board if he was going to make his way back to the Rock.

"Aye. That sounds like a dream I have had since I can remember."

Sevros extended his hand and he took it. Hauling him up from his gutter he had lived in.

He had less than a day to train his squad to work cohesively. The Chaplain and Apothecary sent to watch the tournament would arrive at first light.

Sevros liked his chances.

To be continued...

(As always, I hope everyone is enjoying the story so far!)

Sevros had ended the impromptu training late in the night. It was hardly suitable. An Astartes was not made a full Space Marine until he had proven himself countless times in the field of battle. Even the heroes of the Imperial guardsmen would not qualify for what was expected to be the standard of a Space Marine.

However this lot had given it their all. Whatever be their motivation. Avoiding death once more. To become better than their superiors. Or just because they enjoyed the challenge. They did not miss Anything he taught them. They refused to give up until they had mastered whatever discipline that Sevros was trying to teach.

Octavus was unequaled in hand to hand combat he could shrug off the blows of the other children when they attacked.

Valentar was able to manipulate the battlefield nearly as well as Sevros. His insight was refreshing compared to what he had seen from the dullards of the city.

The brothers Damius and Tornus were almost two haves of the same person. They learned together and were even able to take down the juggernaut that was Octavus. The younger brother, Tornus, refused to not joke about everything they did. It was his defense mechanism against the horrors he had seen in his young life. Damius, the elder brother by two years, was nearly as quiet as Octavus. Perhaps that was why the two had formed a strong kinship in such a short amount of time.

Valentar had removed himself from the other three boys and followed Sevros and assisted him in whatever he needed. While he remained detached. He still worked well with any of the other three boys.

Sevros had out them through several exercises where the boys had to work with each member of the squad individually. To Lear. Their strengths as if it were their own. But still, the training had only been a day. They were not perfect. When Damius and Octavus served teamed up together, nothing Valentar and Tornus could do could stop them. They were bigger and stronger and intelligent. Valentar had nearly caught Octavus with a faint but Damius saw it coming and sent both his brother and Val enter flying across the training grounds.

The first light of day had appeared across the sky. Clouds heavy with rain threatened to empty their payload at any time. With the dawn came thunder. Except this was not thunder but the sound of the engines of a Thunderhawk as it broke atmosphere. It was a dark shape in the clouds but with Sevros's genetically enhanced vision, he could just barely make out the chapter symbol of the Dark Angels, a white sword between two white wings. It changed course to the castle in the middle of the city.

Sevros roused his squad. He would not be late for the ceremony. He wanted to gather as much Intel as possible. It would be held in less than an hour. He chastised himself for not being prepared to move out sooner. The boys were quick to rise but they still needed to relieve themselves and eat a small meal of a Snow Apple and bread.

By the time they were ready, They had half an hour before the ceremonies began. Seveos had them sprinting to the courtyard where this year's potential recruits were gathered. Five slayer squads had gathered in a rough line. The boys constantly shoving each other or sometimes outright fighting. The so called "Knights" paid little attention.  Hundreds of boys were gathered in the courtyard. Some looked like they might be serious competition. Most looked ready to run as soon as compete. 

Sevros gathered his squad on the furthest edge of the gathered boys. He could see the cushioned chair meant for the ruler of this disaster called a city, and two muvh larger ones built of steel and made wide for what Sevros could only only assume was meant for the Chaplain and the Apothecary who would oversee the tournament. 

A hushed silenced came at once as the Lord of the city came. He was a fat man. The fattest Sevros had ever seen. His girth spilled over the ornate leather belt he wore. With an equally as ornate sword at his hip. A sword meant for decoration. Not use.

He appeared pale, almost sickly as he hurried to his fancy chair. Followed behind him was his personal guard. Knights in poorly kept armor and girth's only rivaled by himself. 

However, the source of the silence was the two giants who followed behind the Lord's retinue. A chaplain clad in the black armor of office with a grinning white skull helmet. The next was the Apothecary,  in his dark green armor and white helmet to denote his position of the battlefield. The Apothecary was called Michaeltaenos and the Chaplain was Dartanil. 

Sevros was about to explain as much to his squad when an instant lump formed in his throat. Supreme Grand Master Azrael walked calmly not in his famous Artificer armor but his normal robes he wore while in the safety of the Rock. He was flanked by. The bone white armor of two Deathwing Terminators. One carried a Thunderhammer and Stormshield. The other a Stormbolter and Powerfist. The Powerfist periodically crackling with energy. 

The Supreme Grand Master took the chair of the Lord of the city. The man showed rage at first but one look at the Terminators forming honor guard around Azrael was enough to silence his complaints.  The two terminators stood behind Azrael's chair. They hardly moved but Sevros was sure that they saw everything. The could kill every single soul in the city with no effort at all. Let alone the support of one of the ships surely in orbit of the planet. 

Azrael did not move or even acknowledge the Chaplain and Apothecary. Nor did they acknowledge him. Obviously he was simply here to observe. While not the rarest of occurrence, it was not common to happen either. Sevros could have counted the timee it had happened on one hand, from the text's that his father had made him read.

Dartanil rose from his steel chair and raised his voice to address the gathered boys.

"You have gathered here for many reasons. Fear, glory, or perhaps to honor your family. But know that those of you who gather today. Few of you will live to remember this day. Even fewer will know what lies beyond this existence. Fewer still will survive the trials of what lays beyond even that."

A few boys began to bolt for the city, but the Chaplain in one swift motion, drew his plasma pistol and fired precise controlled shots that simply erased their existence.  Only leaving charred remains of something human like behind.

"This is your first lesson you must learn if you wish to survive today...  AND I SHALL KNOW NO FEAR!" 

To be continued...

(I felt kind of on a roll so I decided to write the next part of the "Tournament Arc" as I am now dubbing this chapter of the story. Instead of waiting a day or two to write the next part.)

Sevros began to rapidly process the new information. Azrael being here in person meant he intended to see if Sevros could survive this tournament, personally.

Dartanil continued his speech after the crowd began to understand the seriousness of the tournament.

"Instead of holding individual challenges of speed, strength and cunning. A grand Melee will be held instead. The melee will be to the death. Weapons may be allowed but you must find them. You may not be given any weapons to begin with. "

Silence held as fear and excitement in equal measure coursed through the crowd. 

"The melee will be held throughout the city. No aspirant may enter any of the buildings while the Melee is being held. Citizens are already being instructed as we speak to kill any who attempt to enter their homes. Weapons have been hidden throughout the city for those of you fortunate enough to find them."

The Chaplain continued to explain the rules or lack there of foe that matter. Sevros began to have his squad edge out of the gathered boys as he saw what would be coming next.

"-No adults will be able to help you. If any are caught, they will be executed immediately. Now that the rules have been set. The melee begins now!"

Sevros had his squad half way down the street when the chaos erupted. The shouts of boys yelling and some crying out in pain as the fight began. He did not look back but knew that there was already some heading his way. He had Valenter lead the way into various side streets and alleyways. Once they had nearly ran into a group of slayers who had apparently killed their mentor and taken his sword and a dagger apparently he had been carrying.

Their first objective was to procure weapons. Then find a defensible location. Tornus found a bow and a quiver of arrow sitting under a crate. Octavus found a branch that was rich enough to be considered a club. Damius and Val enter both found swords that were pitted and nearly dull.

Before long it was impossible not to run into armed boys. Some were in groups and some were alone. But it became a heated battle every time. Sevros had claimed a broadsword from a boy who had fallen to a salvo of Tornus's arrows. It was heavy in his small hands and appeared to be a two handed sword when he used it. In reality. He could barely hold it in one hand so he had to fight two handed.

The slayers had lived up to their names. A path of carnage had been made by each group that was easy to follow. However the slayer groups were quickly diminishing after they would cross another slayer's path. 

Valentar was leading the squad down an alleyway that looked like it would be a safe place to rest when they were ambushed by a group of slayers who had been hiding, waiting for just an occasion. They were all armed with an odd array of swords of various make. 

A boy who was almost as large as Octavus, charged Sevros. His sword raised high, he intended to end him with one blow. Sevros waited until the last possible second and the ducked and swung with his blade. The boy fell to a heap in the ground. No longer moving. Octavus fought two boys at once. His club being worn down to uselessness until he had to dodge them. Damius came to his rescue by flanking the two boys and cutting them down.

The last slayer fell to Valentar with a quick series of cuts that bled the boy to death. This continued into dusk where the rain had come at last. Washing the blood away from the streets. 

A loud voice boomed over the city as a Thunderhawk hovered overhead, playing the cool voice of Dartanil.

"Only thirteen aspirants remain. All Aspirants are to come to the courtyard at once for one final melee. No fighting is to be allowed until everyone has returned."

Sevros let out a slow breath. His squad was fatigued and injured. For boys who had never killed or seen this much death. They held up remarkably well. Valentar had the most serious injury of the group with an arrow still embedded in his shoulder. His arm hung uselessly to his side. Sevros had a long gash over his ribs that had already began to heal due genetic superiority.  Both brothers had various small cuts and bruises. Octavus was relatively unharmed except for a large bruise on the side of his head where he had. Been hit with the blunt side of a blade a boy who had no idea how to wield

It had save Octavus's life and ended the boys. 

It took them a long time to reach the courtyard. They had little strength left to continue. Again, Sevros was sparred this by his genetic modifications. He knew he was tired but he was able to partition that away for the time being. A dangerous thing to do when you had little training in how to use your gene modifications. 

The courtyard had been cleaned up relatively speaking. Bodies of the first children to fall had been put in carts. Rain soaked everything. Sevros could see his squad shaking from the cold as their bodies began to finally release the constant need for adrenaline they had been using all day.

They had been the last group to arrive in the courtyard. There was one last group of slayers left and three boys who had fought alone.

The Chaplain stood observing the remaining aspirants. Azrael still sat in his chair with both Terminators flanking him.

"Begin" was all the Chaplain said.

Sevros raised his sword once more. His squad forming around him. The squad of slayers decided to assault the lone fighters first as they were the easier targets. They were surprised to find that they were still alive not because they lucky but because of their skill. They made the group of slayers pay for their assault. One boy was killed outright and two took wounds that would be serious if left unchecked.

The leader of the slayers fought viciously. Using his sword to not kill but to wound. Then when the wounded boys fell. He would torture them by stabbing them not in their vitals and doing things no Astartes would do to his enemy. Kill them and move on. Do not torture them for no reason. That was the job of a Interrogator Chaplain. 

Once the last boy was slain they turned their attention to Sevros and his squad. Tornus armed and arrow and pulled it to his cheek. He fired and the arrow struck true. Another boy fell. Famous and Octavus began to charge the squad when the leader of the remaining Slayers pulled something he had hidden behind him. 

Sevros recognized it as an Imperial guardsman issue smoke grenade. How he had obtained it and knew how to operate it was a mystery he would have to investigate later, if he survived.

The boy tossed the smoke grenade at Octavus who tried to bat it away with mace he had obtained. However his swing went wide and the grenade through some sort of profane luck, struck him on his bruised side of his head. He fell to the ground hard as the smoke began to fill the battlefield. Shouts came from every direction. The slayers came out of now where and hit his squad. The boys began to cough and choke for air and fend off hit and fade attacks. 

Sevros had his squad form a circle with Octavus in the middle. Tornus use his bow like a club, breaking it on the sword of one of the slayers. He took stab wound to his abdomen falling to the ground, screaming in pain. His brother screamed in rage and beheaded the one who stabbed his brother. Valentar was fending off the leader of the leader of the slayers. Sevros went to back his young battle brother, up. They worked in perfect unison. Sevros would strike high and Valentar would strike low. Putting the boy off balance.

Sevros had an opening for a strike and was about to take it when the second remaining Slayer came from behind, attempting to stab him in the back. He saw the attack coming by a hairs breath and side stepped his attack just as the leader saw his opportunity with an opening and struck. He impaled his fellow slayer on his sword as Sevros twisted his back in an odd pattern to avoid both blows.

The second slayer looked stunned at first and then fell limp to the ground. The leader, now alone as his squad had been destroyed, screamed in fury. His strikes desperate and tears streamed down his eyes. 

A loud crack stopped the fighting cold. The three boys locked in melee turned to see Azrael standing with a bolt pistol in his hand, pointed in the air.

"The melee is over."

The Chaplain glanced in his direction but nodded once. Speaking up

"Aspirants stand in line!"

The leader of the slayers glared at Sevros with the utmost hatred. But obeyed and stranded in line with the rest of the boys. Octavus was standing again with Damius. They had Tornus under either arm.

"Aspirants, you stand victorious today. Brother Michaeltaenos will see to your wounds." The Apothecary was already on his way down to treat them. He began with Tornus who was in the greatest danger.

"You have proven strong enough to pass along into the very lowest ranks of our order. Should you prove yourself over your next trails to become Astartes, you will receive an honor that few in the Imperium of man can claim. It has only happened a few times in the long memory of our chapter that six Aspirants were to come out of a single melee. Consider yourselves fortunate to be given this rare opportunity."

The Lord of the city was no where to be found. Apparently he had lost interest in the fight early on. Azrael and his honor guard had left to the thunderhawk presumably. 

Tornus was deathly pale and the Apothecary was still calmly dressing his wounds. His brother waited by his side, being careful not to interfere with the Apothecaries work.

Valentar barely stood on his own feet. His weariness almost beyond  his limits. Octavus stared at the Chaplain.

"We leave in ten minutes Aspirants. Be ready with that, he went the same direction Azrael went.

The slayer leader burned with a frenzied hatred as he continued to glare at Sevros. 

"You killed my brother. I will make you pay!" Sevros thought for a moment and then realized who he was referring to. The boy who he had stabbed by accident when trying to kill Sevros.

He was going to reply when he realized Octavus and the rest of his squad were following the Apothecary as he carried the limp boy in his arms.

The fight was now over. But Sevros had the distinct feeling it was far from finished.

To be continued...

(As I have me tied before. I write these stories on my phone so any spelling or grammar errors will be fixed when I can get to a computer and look at them. I hope you enjoyed the first chapter. There is more to come!)

Chapter 2

Ten years later...

The Thunderhawk kept hitting heavy turbulence. Forcing Sevros to bounce roughly in his deployment restraints. This was his twenty seventh mission. However he doubted much combat. A Scout observed and infiltrated. The heavy combat was strictly reserved for his brothers who had earned the right to call themselves full Space Marines. He was the lowest rank of Astartes. A scout Marine.

He had fifteen confirmed kills so far. Not even a warm-up for a seasoned Space Marine.  He had spent the past decade learning what it meant to be a Space Marine. He had every exercise memorized. He knew the battle rites. He knew the oaths. He knew tge tactics. His heart burned for combat. The Veteran Sergeant of his squad of ten battle brothers, Sergeant Formian, had chastised him frequently for what he said he "asks for a phoenix but offers bird feed" Claiming that he was not ready for the right to purge the galaxy of the enemies of the Emperor. 

Sevros was not very popular among half of his squad. They kept calling Sevros "Azraels experiment" it was no secret that the Supreme Grand Master himself was watch him. He had caused Sevros more problems than he cared for. It was during this time that he was suppose to learn the brotherhood of his squad. These men would be his only family for the rest of his life. While brotherhood was shared throughout the entire chapter, a squad had the closest bonds. A squad was expected to know every battle brothers strengths and weaknesses to a point. You fought and died together. 

He had tried his best to bond with them but they kept him at arms reach. Making matters worse, Formian encouraged them to. The only saving grace of having Azrael showing whatever it was he was showing. Sevros doubted it was favoritism. Had kept him with the squad he had formed during the Tournament. 

They made good tactical sense being kept together as a squad. Their brotherhood had been forged in blood. They had become famous for their fast progression in their training. The ire of the second half of the squad had spread to encompasses them all. They adapted to the shock of leaving a backwater planet and seeing the glories that was the Space Marine army. They handled the gene modification as well as one could hope. Save for Sevros who was born with the Gene-seed already inside him. 

Sevros had been a place of concern for the first four years.  He was very close to being written off as too small to become an Astartes. Then after his twelfth birthday his body began to rapidly grow, making up for lost time. Now he was level with Octavus, whom had not stopped growing himself. Octavus was eight feet tall thanks to his gene modification. According to the Apothecary,  both of them still were not finished growing. A normal Astartes was averaged at nine feet tall. But neither boy seemed like they would stop there. 

What was the difference between the two was Octavus was a block of muscle. The ideal space marine. Sevros was thinner and more broad in the shoulders. His face was still gaunt and pale, as if he had not eaten in weeks. His hair still a ghostly white.

The rest of his squad from the tournament were progressing more along the normal growth  of an Astartes.  

The mission was another recon mission. Reports of Tau had been reported on a planet under the protection of the Dark Angels. Little more information was known. The fifth company was ready to deploy if the scout team found anything. Sevros had never seen another Xenos besides Orcs. Usually it was isolated groups of Orcs who had split off to loot smaller settlements. 

The Thunderhawk bounced again as it hit another bad patch of turbulence. They were cold to their LZ. The recruits all checked their weapons despite the constant bouncing. They had trained for such a occurrence. Sevros's sniper rifle was still in good working order. He and Valentar had both been armed with sniper rifles. Octavus and the brothers Damius and Tornus were all armed with bolters. 

Sergeant Formian's voice came over the ship community system. 

"We will not be able to land the Thunderhawk. The servos are mucked up from the storm. We will have to jump out. It will be low and slow enough that the use of Jump Jets will not be necessary. Don't let that fool you though. Its a long enough that you will need to land carefully."

"be prepared for quick insertion in 30 seconds..."

The Sergeant exited the cockpit. A rough looking man with four studs over his brow, denoting a century of service for each stud. Scars covered his face and head which was shaved. He had been mauled by a Tyranid hive tyrant he had engaged with his bare hands. His weapon swallowed whole. He had managed to beat it with his fists until he was saved by a timely rescue by a Deathwing terminator who crushed its skull with a thunder hammer.

Despite how he treated Sevros. He liked the man. He was fierce and would not back down from any foe. No matter how big.

The ramp opened up to reveal tree's just barely missing the hull of the thunderhawk. They had slow down as much as they could. Timing would be key. Jumping before or after the sergeant said would most likely end in a quick death in colliding with a tree at high velocity.

Formian spoke up again.

"Jump in 3, 2, 1,....go go go!"

To be continued...

The drop was a lot further down than he imagined. That was immediately clear when he reached terminal velocity at fourth feet in the air. Somewhere in the back of his mind instinct told him his body would not survive such a drop. 

He managed to control his wild spiral in the air and calculated when he would need to tuck his legs to control his roll on the ground. 

Just a few more seconds and...

His feet struck the ground making him somersault several times before he slowed down and was able to stand. 

"That was not so bad.." He muttered to himself.

Several grunts behind him announced the rest of his squad. A single loud thud drew all of their attention as Formosan rose from a crouch' his fist leaving a deep rent in the ground. He had elected to drop like a stone rather than roll to a light stop.

"Avoid rolling like that to much. Your weapon can get in the way or even get damaged. Hope you are damaged before your weapon is. You never know when you will need to use it." He drew a chain sword and bolt pistol in either hand.

He gazed at his assembled squad. Making sure he had all nine. Himself being the tenth member.

"Form a perimeter. Don't keep gawking at me like a bunch of serfs. This should always be your first instinct on a mission. You all know this by now. Don't think I won't have you banished for incompetence just because you are not far from becoming a full space marine"

Or worse. Sevros thought to himself. He remembered seeing a Servitor as a young boy, who had been a neophyte who had always been more interested in the female serfs than his training. A mistake he refused to make. His entire life had been training to become a Space Marine. Now he was not far from his goal. He was eighteen years old. Still a child in a Space Mariner's eyes. But he had progressed far despite what Formosan thought of him. 

He knew all the battle chants by heart. He knew every rite a Neophyte was suppose to know. Even some that they weren't until they became full Space Marines. His father had trained him to become the perfect Astartes. He would fulfill that wish or die trying. The only gift he could give a man who was cursed to raise a child when he was raised for serving the chapter and by extension, the imperium of man.

The squad quickly established a perimeter. Sevros peered through his scope. Not much was visible in the forest canopy. The trees were dense and the rain made things worse. The Thunderhawk was well out of sight now. The rumbling of thunder drowned out the whine of its engines.

Formian walked up to him and spoke in a rough but quiet tone.

"Any visuals?" 

"No sir. The rain is making it hard to see anything. It would be easier to just look without my scope. At least I can see a wider area that way." Sevros replied in a hushed tone.

Formian reached a two fingers to his left ear and began to raise the Thunderhawk via Vox.

"Damn" he spat. "The weather is affecting Vox. We will have to stay scout as one. I was going to break us into combat squads but much good that will do us if we can't talk to each other. "

Formian began issuing quiet orders for the squad to form up. He had Sevros and Valentar at point. The rest of the squad formed up into a V behind them.

The forest was provided to be a challenge. The terrain was difficult to cross and made the mission infinitely more difficult. It was easy to ambush his squad of lightly armored scouts. For eight hours they scouted the surrounding area without a single track to indicate a Tau presence. 

They were forced to take shelter in the ruins of some temple that had been devoted to the Dark Angels as saviors from some forgotten deed that had done for the natives. The rain came down as a heavy stream. Rain they could handle with little discomfort. However the lightning was striking randomly and had already hit one Neophyte. Through sheer luck or the will of the god emperor himself, all he had was minor burns and his armor was scorched in areas.

Two scouts were providing watch near the entrance while the rest of the squad went deeper into the temple ruins. The structure was heavily damaged but it defiantly held its base layout. A testament to the ingenuity of the natives. Though he had the feeling that Tech Marine influence had seen to reinforcing the structure.

Formian stood before a statue of a Space Marine and went to a knee and bowed his head in reverence. It was damaged heavily with age and Sevros could not make out any discernible details. 

"This is a temple devoted to the Primarch himself. With him is his closest allies."

These statues were in even a state of further disrepair. One was completely destroyed. When Sevros examined the destroyed statue he noticed that age had not ravaged it like the others. It had holes caused by bolter rounds. Someone had made sure that this statue would be beyond recognition. Formian plaid little attention to it. He still was gazing at the statue of Lion 'El'Johnsan. The Primarch of the Dark Angels.

Most of the scouts either started resting now while they had the time to do so. Or were cleaning their weapons, making sure that the weather had not fouled them. His fellow tournament winners had elected to clean their weapons first. Sleep later. Sevros elected to look around a bit more. 

The temple was not very large but there were two chambers he was able to explore. The first was empty with the exception of moss that coated nearly everything. The second was covered in rubble. He kicked over a few stones with his boot. He had began to dismiss this room as well when he saw broken form of another statue. Much smaller than the rest. It had been used as an idol back when the temple had been used.

The idol resembled a Space Marine from before the Horus heresy. His power armor was a make Sevros had only seen in pictures. Something familiar struck a cord within him. Perhaps he had seen this man in a book in his childhood. He was missing an arm but the other held a plasma pistol in his hand, crossed over his chest. His head bowed.

He considered keeping it before thinking better of it. He had no room to carry it with him and it would just raise my jeers from his squad about collecting useless junk when he should be focusing on the mission.

Setting the statue down on top of the rubble, he made his way back to his squad. He stood watch with his fellow squad members. They had been peering into the rain, steadfast in their duty. He did not say a word and just observed the area with them.

The rain had began to lessen and the lightning had stooped all together. He was watching a pair of birds flying agitated at another bird wandering to close to their nest when he saw the barest movement in the bushes.

Quickly he raised he rife and peered down the scope. He had almost missed it when he saw it again. A Kroot was looking straight back at him. It began to slowly crawl back into the brush but Sevros had already squeezed the trigger of his weapon. A loud rapport followed and the Kroot's head jerked back violently.

Instantly the squad was up and weapons were drawn.

"Report!" Formian bellowed.

"Kroot scout sir, I saw it just as Sevros drilled it in the head." One of his fellow scouts reported.

As if to confirm his claim. A loud crash came off four hundred yards away as a Tau battlesuit flanked by a squad of Kroot came into view.

"Defensive positions!" Formian yelled just as the area began to lite up in fire as the battlesuit started shooting at his squad. 

To be continued...

Debris peppered his armor as the Tau Crisis Battlesuit continued to rain down fire on his squad. The Kroot charged their position while the Battlesuit provided suppressing fire. Sevros managed to fire off a couple rounds at the charging Kroot. The Xenos scum fell but more were ready to take their place.

They were pinned quite thoroughly. Their armor was not meant to take on a Crisis Battlesuit. Sevros was of the opinion it was little better than the flak vests a guardsman wore. But he never voiced his thoughts in concern of being punished for heresy. Now the thought of execution from his own rather than at the hands of a filthy Xenos seemed preferable.

Gritting his teeth he raised from his prone platoon and began firing at the Tau Battlesuit with a fervor shouting.

"I will be damned to die at the hands of Xenos!"

His squad rose in a chorus behind him. Singing the dirge of Caliban. A song for the loss of their home world. A battle that was never discussed. Only to remember to never forget the loss.

The squad rallied behind him. Even the unkillable Sergeant Formian did not seem to care that a recruit had just did what he should have done and rallied the squad from their predicament. They showed the Xenos scum that even the inexperienced scouts of the Dark Angels never backed down.

The Kroot charge fell just short of the newly established firing line. They died like they filth they were. A large heap of twitching bodies. The battlesuit continued to fire into his squad. Only one Marine was hit. He fell to the ground but continued to fire at the armored foe. Apparently the shot was only a graze. Just enough to knock him off his feet. 

Valentar fired his sniper rifle three times. Two shots hit the chest of the battlesuit, doing no noticeable damage. The third shot however, hit the battlesuit in the head. All that remained was a stain of Xenos blood. The battlesuit continued to fire for a few moments before it fell over, dead.

Immediately Formian began issuing orders to move out. The scout who had been hit was the same one who had been struck by lightning earlier that day. Tornus helped the scout up with one arm. The scout had a rwnt in his armor that followed his rib cage but never actually pierced it. Sevros decided right then and there that he would never think badly of their armor.

Tornus made a joke about the Neophyte. Calling him a "Stump" to stubborn to know it was dead. The rest of the Neophytes laughed and the unfortunate nickname stuck.

The rest of the squad had instantly started opening up to Sevros. Even if it was only a little. They praised him for breaking the pin that the Tau had on them. A clap on the shoulder here. A word of praise there.

Even Formian seemed to approve. Though he said nothing. But instead he gave him lead of a combat squad. A combat squad of most of his fellow tournament winners. Hardly a surprise though that it was them. Valentar stayed with Formian's squad. He was the only other sniper rifle in the squad. Instead he received the newly renamed Stump. Formian had said "if you can keep this sorry scout alive, you might be worth your salt."

Formian was able to finally raise command. Not gaining much more information except that the Tau had not left the planet. He turned to address the squad.

"Command is still running blind. We are their only eyes and ears. Neophyte Sevros will lead squad B and follow the trail the Xenos left behind. Squad A is with me. We are going to go to a village klicks east."

He looked at Sevros and spoke to him. "You are not to engage the enemy under any circumstance. This is recon only. Understood?"

Sevros bowed his head "Yes sir."

Squad A began heading east. They disappeared quickly into the forest. Their green armor blending in well with the foliage. They were soundless and nearly invisible. They would be instant death to the unwary. 

Sevros had his squad form up around him. Damius volunteered to take point. Sevros had no arguments. He had a good eye when it came to tracking. Even if the Tau left a obvious trail behind them. Not seriously considering any threats to them. The planet was further from the more populated planets and was still primitive enough to not require a Imperial Guard presence.

The trail lead on for several miles north. Far away from any civilization remembered seeing on the map of the area.

What were they after then?  Sevros wondered to himself. 

There was not much of use on this planet. It was not particularly rich in any resources other than a potential area to be converted for agriculture. Though Tau were more infamous for converting civilizations to their cause. They rather wait for a planet to have established farms or mine so all they have to do is steal from humanity's hard work. Rather then do any themselves.

The trail started crossing other trails made from different Tau patrols. Sevros ordered his squad to slow down and spread out. So they would avoid all walking into a potential ambush. They reached a clearing, staying in the shadows of the trees. Sevros blinked in surprise. Dozens of tanks hovered in staggers rows. Avoiding any concentrated bombing runs. Hundreds of Tau firewarriors stood in neat rows. All facing one direction. To the west. 

He aimed his rifle in the direction they were at attention at. At least three dozen Crisis Batrlesuits formed another set of neat rows. No Root were in sight. Sevros had heard that the Tau looked down on their allies. Using them as fodder while they aimed rail weapons at their targets. 

This was not what caught his interest though. A Xenos he had only heard of from the stories of old veteran sergeants like Formian. An Ethereal sat in a throne like chair that hovered slightly off the ground. A staff clutched in one hand, it regarded the assembled masses pensively. It was flanked on either side by what he could only guess were Tau commanders. 

This was bad. Very, very bad. The Tau had came in force. But more than that. An Ethereal had taken the field. That was nearly unprecedented. There was something of great value to them on this planet. That was beyond doubt now. 

Logic told him to report this immediately. But some deep part of him all but screamed at him to take action. But what could he do with such overwhelming numbers? A squad of Death wing Terminators would be outmatched a hundred to one. For his half of a scout squad he was thinking of nothing less than suicide. 

The Ethereal began to speak in its native tongue. Sevros had no idea what it was saying. He tried to calm the battle between his mind and his gut. All it did was make him feel ill. His additional organs did much. But the battle of the mind versus instinct was not part of their function. 

Damius looked pale. No fear showed on his face. But he looked sickly. 

"Whats wrong?" Sevros whispered

"I...think I can understand what it is saying. I don't know how...I just kept trying harder and harder to listen and suddenly it's words formed into something I could understand. " Damius whispered back. 

Sevros had an inkling of what he was speaking about but he did not dare speak it in front of his squad. He trusted Octavus and Tornus. But Stump was still an outsider. He wanted to be able to trust him. But he was not confident his moment of inspiration would win over the rest of his squad so easily, let alone stump.

"Well what is it saying?" Sevros said quickly before anyone had time to process what had just happened to Damius.

"It is talking about how they stand on the edge of change. Something about a weapon that will forge a new era for The greater good. How it alone has the map where this weapon is" Damius's voice started to get strained the longer he was trying to listen.

Sevros rested a hand on his shoulder and nodded. "That's all I need to know."

Damius's face was turning red with effort. But he relaxed when Sevros let him stop listening closely. But he still feared what might happen. A psyker was typically amongst the imperium of man. Worse yet, they had all been screened by the Librarians since they first arrived on the Rock. To develop talents for it now was bad. He knew not if they would kill him for it or not.

Tornus looked worriedly over to his brother. Not knowing what had just happened. Thankfully Stump was not paying attention. He was getting an accurate count of troops with Octavus. So they had exact numbers to report.

Sevros set aside his thoughts for only the mission. He needed to get that map before the army started moving. Right now they were not expecting Space Marines on the planet. But they would know something was not right when their patrol did not report back. That time would be happening very soon.

He looked at his squad. Damius was looking marginally better. Tornus was still watching his brother. Concern crossed his face. 

"Damius, Tornus. Report what we have found to command once you are at least two kicks from here. I don't want the Tau picking up our transmissions."

Surprise shown on all of his squad's faces. "Octavus, Stump. You can go with them or help me get that map. If you do it will be against orders though."

Octavus said he would join him before Sevros was finished. Stump was silent a long moment before nodding. Damius and Tornus objected, saying they wanted to help as well but Sevros stopped them.

"Five of us will be noticed. Three is pushing it. But it is possible. Besides, command MUST know or we.may very well condemn this planet and possible others."

Tornus opened his mouth to speak but shut it again and nodded. The two brothers departed silently and Sevros looked again at the Ethereal. 

Time to see if today was the day he died...

To be continued...

(I know this is silly but I have not felt this inspired when writing a story in a long time. I keep finding myself drawn to writing more after spending hours writing a page of a chapter. I am happy to hear that some of you are enjoying my story. I know I get some of the facts wrong about the 40k universe but I do try and research as much as I can when I find a place where I do not know much about it. I try to correct facts I get wrong but its not always easy.

I hope you continue to enjoy Sevros and his path to his destiny. I plan on adding more depth of character to his squad in the future. I just wanted to wait until they reach the point of where I can branch out their individual stories.

Thanks again guys!)

Night came on swift wings. Damius and Tornus had only been gone for an hour and then sun of this planet had already disappeared behind the horizon. Sevros only hoped that the Tau were at the mercy of the night like humans were. Even with his enhanced vision, the dark was nearly blinding.

Thankfully Octavus had a night vision device on hand and Sevros's scope had a night vision function. Stump was at the mercy of Octavus's guidance. 

The Tau might have not been aware of their presence. But they still followed a protocol of no illumination of any kind. Apparently they were going to wait as long as possible to reveal their presence. Sevros did not want to find out what their night vision technology was. So he lead the diminished squad from the south. It was where they had the least amount of technology posted. One of their tanks was the only thing guarding this direction. That and at least a hundred fire warriors. 

Octavus had pointed out that the entire detachment of stealth suits had left just before the sun completely set. Sevros had a feeling that they had been sent to find the missing patrol. Not wanting anyone to find out. He hoped Damius and Tornus would be able to avoid them. 

It was very slow going. They crawled the entire distance. The tank was now only feet from them. He knew that this close and this low to the ground would be impossible for them to see clearly. However strange floating devices called "seeker drones" would pass by the tank every five minutes. It would take twice that time to crawl past. Once they were right next to the tank, Sevros got up into a crouch. Octavus and Stump following suit. He peered down his scope again. The drone was approximately three minutes from another pass. 

Waiting until the drone was as far away as possible, they ran as fast as they could towards the mobile command center where the Ethereal was. The command center was a skiff of some kind with a flat platform where the commander could observe and had a sub level that worked as private chambers. Two battlesuits stood guard over the elevator that would go to the second level.

Most of the Fire Warriors had gone into tents doing whatever it was that Tau did for sleep. Some were still out for whatever reason. Could not sleep or maybe they were on night watch. Some even seemed to doing some sort of prayer together. Sevros tried to ignore the culture they possessed. All Xenos were enemies of man. 

Weaving a path And dodging patrols, The squad managed to make it to the edge of the command center. It hovered ten feet off of the ground and had no suitable foot or hand holds. Sevros thought furiously about what to do now. The concluding was something he was not particularly happy about but he saw no other way. Grabbing the combat knife from his belt, he jumped as high as he could and stabbed his knife into the hull. 

The knife made a loud scraping sound. He had not even dented the hull. However his knife was now jammed in a tight crease of the armor. Even if the plan had not worked as he had imagined, he still accomplished his goal. Using the knife as a means to pull him up. He was able to find foot and handholds from various points on the platform. 

Octavus and Stump followed his same means of getting up. Using his knife as the first step to get up. Nobody had noticed the noise which was its own small miracle. They were just to the left of the two battlesuits. They were deathly still. Only the slight movement of their heads  moving back and fourth had even shown they were not some sort of mechanical looking statue. 

Sevros was even less happy about what came next. They had not other choice but to kill them. Their weapons would alert the entire camp in seconds. Their combat knifes would never pierce their armor. Holding himself up with one hand on the railing on the platform and the other silently aiming his weapon at the two armored Tau, Sevros squeezed the trigger in two rapid successions. The first round hit where he had aimed, recreating the same shot Valentar had made earlier that day. They second shot was wide.  

Stump was already on the deck and firing his bolter in the remaining suit. Octavus was shortly behind him. The Battlesuit had almost got off a shot before the twin salvo caught it off guard. The noise penetrated the night like a well honed blade.

The camp was alive and in a frenzy nearly instantly. The elevator controls were right behind the fallen guards. Stump hit them and the elevator started to descend. He could already see Battlesuits igniting their jump packs towards the command center. 

What seemed like hours was only a few seconds. But the elevator was already below the surface and a eclipsing door had covered them. Heavy thuds directly over head announced the arrival of the battlesuits.

Once they reached the second level. Octavus destroyed the controls with a clenched fist. The sounds of the outside were gone. Though Sevros knew the camp was in an uproar. They were in the main level room of the command center. A large table projecting s holographic display of the planet as well as various readouts in an alien language. The Ethereal Sevros had seen earlier was leaning over the display, peering at something. The Xenos looked at them in mild surprise and uttered something in it's native tongue, Under its breath.

Sevros could not tell from his previous distance when he was looking through his scope at the creature. But it appeared to be female and wrinkled with age.

"I assume you are the ones responsible for one of my patrols not reporting in?" The Xenos had a rather elegant command of the human language. Rage boiled inside Sevros but he pushed it down. He needed the map.

"Does it surprise you, alien, that my brothers kill any whom threaten our kind?"

The Ethereal peered at Sevros quizzically. Octavus and Stump both showed their discomfort in talking to a alien. But they followed their squad leader. 

"Strange. I see no evidence of your protection of these people. You use them as stock to breed future generations of your warriors. But once you have your warriors you leave them to survive on their own when you could help them flourish rather than live in a primitive society."

Sevros began grinding his teeth. "Don't spout your heresy to me Xenos scum. I mean to protect these people with my life. Now hand over the map and I will end your life swiftly. I doubt you will get such an offer from our interrogator chaplains."

The Ethereal appeared amused. "Oh you do sound much like your elders. You are but a child compared to them. A child who fights a war he knows so very little about. I would not be so ready to say such words if I were you. I see your future young one. A future where all that you know will be changed. I offer you a chance to join us. The greater good could use more of your kind. Your species fascinates me."

"Wrong answer Xenos scum" Sevros replied with a calmness he did not know he had.

In unison all three scouts opened fire on the Ethereal. The rounds seemed to just sizzle into an invisible shield and fall the floor. Than each one of yelped in pain as their weapons became white hot. They all fell to the floor in a slagged heap. 

He rubbed his hands together, trying to cool them off. A buzz was now constantly ringing in his ear.

"You are children playing a mans game. You think that your weapons and armor and mutating your mortal form will make you warriors. A warrior is only forged in your heart. Not in these pathetic things you carry." She says calmly gesturing to the now slag weapons.

Sevros felt a laugh bubbling up. He could not hold it in. "Children are we? Maybe so. But we infiltrated your camp of trained , killed your elite guard who were protecting  you and managed to make it to the heart of your armies command structure. Do not regard a Space Marine so lightly. Especially one who has nothing to lose."

The Ethereal's eyes narrowed and the smallest of snarles touched her lips.

"Then perhaps it is time I remedied such a thing. Space Marine

Sevros laughed harder. Unable to control himself. His fellow squad brothers looked at him, concerned.

"Why do you laugh ape? I have already won!"

Sevros smiled the smile of a man facing his death. "Because of three, two, one...."

One moment the room was empty, the next, twenty Deathwing Terminators filled the room with Grand Master Belial at their forefront. 

"Because, Xenos scum. I kept you talking. Meanwhile I had but the broadcast of my vox to maximum. It is a rather slow and extremely dangerous thing to do as it can fry my brain in the process. But if someone is looking, like the entire fifth company, and they happen to have a compliment of Deathwing Terminators with the grand master of the first company on board. Well its not all that difficult to get a rough teleporter lock. The longer I kept it open, the better the lock. And you obliged me by spouting your nonsense."

The Ethereal's eyes blazed with fury. Her calm mask about to slip.

"Now give us the map or your death will be something sung about for ages to come in its length and intensity. " 

"I can't give it to you" she said slowly. As if explaining to a particularly dimwitted child.

"It locked in my memory. I see it with images and sensations. I only know where to go next. Not the destination."

Grand Master Belial spoke up, shattering the tension between the two.

"You will be coming with us Xenos filth. As we speak, your forces are being decimated by the fury of the cannons of the orbiting fleet. The fifth company will mop up any of what is left."

The Ethereal calmly regarded Belial.

"Then I seem to have no choice but to surrender. See to it I am not left to the devices of your chaplains, and I will guide you to the weapon. Otherwise the map will die with me."

Belial glared at the Ethereal but calmly said "I will leave that foe the Supreme Grand Master to decide."

With the Tau force annihilated, the Ethereal was bound and taken aboard the first Thunderhawk to touch down. Two squads of Space Marines piled out of the transport. Grand Master Belial and his Terminators lead the Ethereal on board. 

Sevros finally observed his surroundings since he had last been outside. The ground was scorched red from bombardment and bodies lay everywhere. Two drop pods had been deployed and their lights revealed the battlefield. The Tau had put up a fight even after they were nearly destroyed. Half a dozen Space Marines bodies covered the battlefield. But not a single Tau remained. 

A second Thunderhawk landed just as the first had taken off. As the hatch opened Sevros saw the rest of his squad as well as Tornus and Damius. Damius still looked ill. However someone else was aboard. A Chaplain stood at the forefront. He exited he exited the Thunderhawk before it had finished landing. 

The chaplain strode towards Sevros, flanked by two Space Marines. It was one of the high interrogators. 

"Neophyte Sevros. You are to return to the rock immediately and face trial."

Sevros took a slow breath and spoke "what are my charges?"

"Disobeying the direct orders of a Veteran sergeant, the death of Astartes because of your rashness. Worse of all, you were dealing with Xenos scum without the authorization of the inner circle."

Sevros bowed his head as the two space marines put a hand on either side of his broad shoulders. Escorting him into the transport.

To be continued... 

This story is very intriguing! Besides a few grammatical/spelling errors, and a bit of a rough delivery, the storyline is sound and makes for a good read. Looking forward to the next instalment!

-Dom

....Where I can become something more then a dumb brute who kills in the service of the knights order for petty reasons.....

This line amuses me, there are many chapters (DA excluded of course) that this is actually a fairly accurate description of.(IMHO of course)

I'm liking your story so far.

(Yes I admit I have not sat down and corrected a lot of my posts as of recent. I write all of my stories on my phone while on my off time at work. This makes it extremely difficult to correct most of the time. I try to proof read but I miss a lot of auto correct failures and just basic grammar slips. But I will try and sit down and fix the past few stories.

I was not as happy with the delivery of the tournament arc. But it was meant to be a quick story and not what it ended up becoming. I might one day come back and change a lot of it. But I am to motivated to go forward than I am going back. But as it stands right now it's an ongoing rough draft.)

(Yes I admit I have not sat down and corrected a lot of my posts as of recent. I write all of my stories on my phone while on my off time at work. This makes it extremely difficult to correct most of the time. I try to proof read but I miss a lot of auto correct failures and just basic grammar slips. But I will try and sit down and fix the past few stories.

I was not as happy with the delivery of the tournament arc. But it was meant to be a quick story and not what it ended up becoming. I might one day come back and change a lot of it. But I am to motivated to go forward than I am going back. But as it stands right now it's an ongoing rough draft.)

I completely understand. I had the same type of mentality in the past (Look up "The Silver Templars").

Mind you, I should actually fix that story...

Anyways, HURRY UP! I need some new material, left my book at work pinch.gif

The Thunderhawk ride back to the rock was dead silent. His fellow brothers looked ahead. Only Sergeant Formian looked him in the eye. Sevros could not read his gnarled face. The man appeared to be seeing him for the first time and was reading exactly the kind of person Sevros was. It unnerved him slightly. Few people in his life were able to do that. And each one of them was at least able to join the Deathwing. One of which, was the Grand Master of the Deathwing itself.

The events had played back over and over constantly in his mind. Had hubris clouded his memories? He thought he had done well for an Neophyte. But then, the memories of his interaction with the Ethereal bothered him. He had spoken like he was company master. When all he was, was a Neophyte who had gotten lucky on a series of events because of the skill of his fellow squad members.

When the reached the Rock, Sevros and the two Guards escorting him, exited the transport first. The Chaplain was behind him. His eyeless skull helmet burning the flames of his fury into Sevros's back. His gaze alone felt like fire. He was escorted down several turns and passages. Before long, he was lost. He was somewhere deep within the Rock. Even his perfect memory could not recite the dark corridors. 

Time passed by strangely. He knew not if he had been walking for hours or if it were only minutes. His best guess put him between two and six hours. But even that was only a guess. 

Finally reaching the destination his escort had been leading him to. The Chaplain was the one to take lead now. He open two wide doors that opened into a pitch black room. Torches formed a large circle in the middle of the room. Several Astartes, robed and with their cowls pulled up, hiding their faces stood next to the torches. Only a few wore the sacred power armor. Those few, Sevros recognized instantly. 

Interrogator Chaplain Talentos stood in the center of the circle. He was considered to be Asmodai's successor in the sheer amount of fury and determination. No Astartes knew fear. But this man brought the closest next best thing. His guards had left without a word. No need to see that he did not run. Even armed with his choice of any weapon in the armory, Sevros could not match any one of these men even if they were unarmed. The chaplain who had collected him planet side, conferred momentarily with Talentos. Then left as silently as his guards had.

Azrael was no where to be seen. Which mean he would receive no help from him. Nor did he wish it. He was tired of his meddling. A Librarian Sevros did not know, was standing behind Talentos. 

The Grand masters of the third and fifth company stood among the circle. To his surprise, he saw at least three successor chapter Space Marines present. 

To his knowledge, this was unheard of. For a successor chapters to be present in such events in other founding chapters might be considered a form of heresy. But he also knew that the Dark Angels were very close with all of their successor chapters. Closer than the lords of Terra might like.

Talentos spoke, shattering the silence. "You stand here accused of the crimes you have already been informed of. Your sentence will be judged on all three accusations. Am I understood, Neophyte?"

Sevros could not work is mouth to speak under the gaze of the Interrogator Chaplain. So he simple bowed his head. He kept his eyes lowered. He noticed a single black pearl dangling from his first on a cord.

"First accusation is the disobeying a direct order from your veteran sergeant. You were give direct orders to not engage the enemy. In doing so, you endangered your fellow brothers and later resulted in the death of an entire squad of Battle Brothers. With a little more time to prepare, we could have destroyed the entire Xenos threat of the planet without the need to lose valuable life."

Already Sevros could feel the heat of the Chaplains rage as he spoke. Though he spoke calmly. An inferno of barely contained anger was just waiting to strike down the Neophyte. 

"Now we still hunt the planet to mop up YOUR mess. Xenos were still out on patrol. We estimate at least another hundred Kroot and half that number in stealth suits. They have already sent a distress signal off and we can I'll afford to keep the Rock here more than another day. We have...other enemies we must pursue. In all likeliness, Bartonus VII is a loss."

Sevros swallowed hard. He had doomed a planet to a very possible full invasion. An invasion that the Rock could not stop.

"The worst of these crimes though is your banter with the Xenos. You have the Gaul to speak with a Xenos?" The chaplain demanded.

"You are a Neophyte. No matter how close to becoming a full Space Marine you may have been. Suffer not a Xenos to live! Every word they speak are lies and heresy. Kill the filthy scum. Never speak with it!" His deep voice boomed inside the room, shaking the very walls. 

The Librarian behind him began to rub his temples for a moment before he continued to observe. No doubt trying to sense his thoughts. A foolish and ultimately dangerous thing to do. Since he was a child, his mind was impossible to touch. Even the slightest brush of a psyker trying to touch his mind would result in great injury or worse. He assumed the Librarian had gotten to close to touching his mind and had paid a small price for it.

It was a skill he had no control of. He rather the Librarian read his thoughts to show that Sevros wanted only repentance. 

"Before we hand out your punishment, have you any words to say?" Talentos said, finally calm again.

"Only that I deserve whatever fate you decree. I wish to only repent for my crimes. If my life is the price, so be it."

That seemed to catch the Chaplain off guard. He seemed to have expected Sevros to fight to his last breath. 

"Very well, it shall be noted." The chaplain backed away and one by one, he spoke to the circle. The Librarian had said something that caused a heated argument before he finally had to move on to the next person. 

The darkness began to weigh on him. The shadows seemed to move when he focused on them for to long. Fatigue had began to finally catch up. He could force it away but the cost would be great, later.

Finally Talentos walked up to him. He appeared detached instead of  the fury he had seen before.

"I have spoken to the circle and taken into consideration their words. Your punishment is trial by redemption. You will be lead further into the rock and are to fins your way out. This punishment is as good as a death sentence. No Neophyte has ever survived it. Even some potential Supreme Grand Master's have failed to pass such a test. If the emperor himself favors you, and you somehow emerge from the labyrinth. You will be made a full Space Marine. For   only a man can emerge from the darkness, boy."

Again, he was taken by his guards who had appeared from nowhere and they lead him deeper into the rock. The further he went the more oppressive it became until he felt like the air itself was thin and hard to breathe. It was here he was left alone. His guards were already out of sight by five feet. He knew he could not follow them if he wanted to. 

The darkness swallowed all. Sound, light and he could not but help and feel it was swallowing him too.

To be continued...

Total and complete and utter blackness awaited the Neophyte. Cold, dark and utterly primal. All of his senses were muted. But he was not afraid. Never afraid. However he felt alone. The dark was as if it wished to consume him mind, body and soul. He howled at the darkness. Not caring what it wished to do him.

"I am Sevros! I am Astartes! I will not be defeated by sensory deprivation!" He shouted in fury.

"I will slay all who oppose me! Even the dark!" He yelled once more.

The darkness answered back. 

"You can not slay, young one, what you can not reach. You should not be so rash, son of death. The darkness is your greatest ally. You simply have yet to learn its potential within you. Long ago, one such as yourself had the same gift. SEE!" His mind exploded with pain as memories flooded his head.

A man stood alone in the thick of a forest. His hair wild and his body filthy. But as Sevros looked closer he could see this man was was no man, but a boy. Taller then Sevros but no older than ten years old. His eyes gleamed with a deadly intelligence. His body gave off an unnatural glow. Sevros knew this man from countless images he had seen over his years in the Rock. 

Lion El'Johnson faced a strange beast, alone. The best was twenty feet tall with large pincer like claws but the body of a bear and the head of an insect. It looked like some sort of Chaos abomination. 

The Lion let out a howl that shook the trees and rocks around him. He charged the beast and at the last moment, ducked under it and stabbed at it's soft abdomen with a wooden spear. The beast let out a surprised howl of pain as the spear haft broke inside the beast.

Johnson rolled out from under the beast and sprinted for a dark cave. The beast was not far behind him. Taking three strides to his one. But Johnson was fast and above all, cleaver. Every time the beast was nearly upon him. He would find a way to put distance between the two. Using the terrain to his advantage. 

He was immediately engulfed in utter darkness upon entering the cave. The beast's insectoid eyes could not pierce the dark. It was here that Johnson made his stand. His speed and strength almost seem to double. He punched the creature in its ribs and a wet crunching sound resulted in a pained scream. He managed to rip off half of the left pincer and then embedded the pincer in the creature's skull. Killing it instantly.

The pain finally stopped, the memories no longer entering his mind. "This our oldest memory of the Son of the dark. It was here where we began to follow him and his children. To this day we still serve."

The ghostly form of a Watcher in the Dark seemed to materialize in front of him. It looked like a moving shadow in the dark. But for a reason unknown to him, he could see it. 

"Why show me this?" Sevros asked calmly. One never demanded any them from a Watcher. He certainly would not do so now in their place of power.

The hood creature cocked itself head to the side. "Because you are the same."

Sevros resisted the urge to shake the creature and demand it to not speak in riddles. "How am I the same?"

The Watcher's voice was smooth and yet oiley. Like listening to a feline who had learned to speak High Gothic. "You are the heir of the Son Of The Dark. You carry his legacy. But you are carry another legacy."

Sevros stood stating at the Watcher. "Impossible. The Lion has not been alive in thousands of years. He had no children. Save for the gene-seed he left behind for the chapter."

The Watcher cocked it's head to the other side. Like some sort of strange bird. "You are more. You are a superior design to theirs."

"A design? So I'm sort of experiment to you?" Sevros's anger began to creep into his voice.

"To us? No. You are perfection. Perfection rivaled by only the Son Of The Dark."

Than who mad me? Anger growing into an ocean of rage. 

"He will show himself when the time is right. For now there is one last thing you must see before you return to you brothers. "

The Watcher began leading him down corridors and various chambers. It seemed to glide in the dark. Its white robe shining like a beacon. The journey was silent. To silken for Sevros. He had to many questions.

"You act as if you knew I was coming. Like this was all planned long  ago." He said finally. As the watcher lead him through a wide corridor lined with doors, all shut.

"It was." The Watcher said simply. It did not appear to show any hint of elaborating so Sevros asked it how and why.

"Not all of the knowledge you ask are you ready for. However we can say at least that we have manipulated the events of your arrival down to the depths. We were the ones whom planet the seed of your trial. It was not difficult. You have opposition to your existence here as an Astartes."

"And my sentence to the depths?"

"Your Librarians are resistant to the influence of the warp. But not all creatures need the warp for their powers. It was an easy thing to do."

Sevros tried to ask more questions but the Watcher was apparently done talking. Sevros was guided on for a long time before they reached a room with only one door.

The Watcher approached the door and waved its hand in the air. The door open silently to its command, but it did not enter.

"Enter and listen." It said no more, melding with the dark as Sevros approached the door.

The room was empty. Only a slab of rock was in the middle of the room. On the slab was a man chained several times over to the walls. Several arcane seals dangled from the chains and in the floor a scrawling script was engraved in the floor. The man was thin but as large as Sevros. He had countless scars all over his body. His hair hung down his back in messy waves. A messy beard hung off of his face like moss. His head hung low until Sevros entered the room.

"I was wondering when you would show up. Lion spawn. I have seen your coming for over a thousand years now. Sevros, Lionson."

Sevros approached the chained man slowly. Even chained as he was, he could sense the pure madness that swirled his mind. 

"Who are you?" Sevros asked slowly.

"I am....the Oracle...yes call me the Oracle." His face showed complete composure. But Sevros was nearly buried in the psychic aura of madness. Even he, someone without ant active psyker talent, could feel it.

"Tell me then, Oracle. Why does a Watcher want me to speak with you?" 

The Oracle let out a laugh that nearly flattened Sevros from its Psychic blow.

"Because I am to tell you your future little Lion. You have no choice in the matter either. As I have no choice in telling it."

Sevros wanted to leave, but his feet were rooted to the floor. "Speak then Oracle. I have already had enough of the depths to last me a lifetime."

The oracle laughed again. Insanity driving his voice louder and louder before he finally calmed.

"Then let this be your first prophecy. You will visit me several more times over your life. Until one day you will come to find me gone and all of creation at risk."

Sevros remained silent. Mad or not. Sevros had no choice but to listen.

"Second, oh yes, this is my favorite part. You shape the destines of those around you. Already you have made one of your brothers into a psyker, when he showed no such talent. Your forced the warp to touch his mind and now he will always have to fight that until his last breath. Members of your chapter, high and low, are already being shaped around you."

Sevros was stunned for a moment, trying to contemplate what the Oracle had just said when he continued on before he could think any further.

"Third. You stand in front of your first branching path. One of many. You already have more choice than any Space Marine before you. I see a man clad in the armor of a Librarian. A book on his hip and power at his fingertips. This is perhaps the most faded path. For you have forced someone to walk this path for you."

The Oracle's eyes were distant and he sounded like he was reading text from a tome.

"One path has you leading troops into battle with the helm of the lion at your side. You fight the enemies of man unmatched in any chapter. Forging a new dawn for man. But what comes with this new dawn is a great price. For you will wear invisible chains thicker than the ones I now wear. For those chains are held by the Inquisition. They will lead to the destruction of  your chapter by your own hands. And it by this shame, you take your own life."

Anger bubbled up again in Sevros. "I will never betray the chapter!"

The Oracle shivered and he pulled at his chains in pain from some unseen force.

"Now you have closed that path and many others. Now I see but only two. Both give you freedom of choice. But at the cost of a great many things you could have prevented. I a man clad in black who inspires his brothers around him and leads against the final battle. The second is a man clad in white who jumps into the heart of darkness to save the many. But both lead to a path you can no longer prevent."

"What path is that?" Sevros asked desperately.

The Oracle's head slumped down and he began muttering incoherently. The Watcher appeared from the darkness of the doorway and pulled him out of the room with the Oracle. Showing strength that was deceptive of his size.

"Quickly, you must return to the surface. You have a destiny that will escape you if you do not return now!" The Watcher hissed. 

"I still have much to ask!"he said, desperate for more.

The Watcher continued to pull him along. "You will return one day. But not now. Move Lionson. You will have your answers. But your time is short. Your path will end if you do not move."

Sevros started moving on his own, now running down the corridors, following the gliding form of the Watcher. What was hours being guided by his escort, was only minutes by the guidance of the Watcher. The Watched guided him now down a pathway well lit by torches hanging on sconces. At the end of a long corridor, two large double doors stood closed. The Watcher stopped just a few feet before them.

"We part ways for now Lionson. Never forget who your sire is. For your potential is in his past." The Watcher began to fade into a dark corner. Its last words were.

"We always watch. Always serve."

It was gone. Simply gone. Leaving Sevros alone at the large double doors that held his freedom on the other side. Taking a deep breath, he pushed them wide open.

To be continued...

• 4 weeks later...

(I apologize to all of the people who have been following my story. Unfortunately when they had to restore the server, I lost everything from this point, on. I have been unable to back up my stories due to my computer being out of commission for a while. I write these on my cell phone, so it provides its own challenges. Proofreading and correcting errors is nearly impossible for reasons I will explain in a later post.

Since the fix, I had assumed the new servers would be running smooth and I could just back it up later, since the server crashed, I lost roughly five or six (what most call chapters, I call pages because I feel my chapters are different arcs in the story) which is roughly about 18 to 20 hours worth of writing. 

This is solely my fault and I truly apologize for this error in judgement. I appreciate the Admin team for working so hard to get the servers running again. 

I now find myself with the challenge of writing everything over again. Part of me wants to just give up. But that is not what any writer will do. You have to tough it out and learn from your mistakes. I am not sure how these changed chapters will turn out. Its hard to get inspired over what you have already written once. And now you have to write is as closely as possible. 

I was able to manage to save my last post because the server had crashed as I was writing it. So I managed to copy and paste it somewhere else. I will post it shortly, for those of you who were up to date with the story thus far.

Again, thank you for those of you who have shown interest in my story. I love hearing your feedback so keep it up. Its what motivates me to keep writing. Knowing that I am not to terrible when it comes to writing.

This does present me.the opportunity to change a few pages of the story that I was not completely happy with. I can not promise that the next few pages will be as long as the others. I might make them more streamline as they transition from chapter two to three. 

Sorry again everyone. I promise I will fix as much of this as I can.)

Archived