pre heresy sons of horus

shades of gray painting here. long time reader, and first time posting. i have been painting and playing 40k for about 13 years and just love everything about it. my first post is the Sons of Horus. this is a commission i have been doing for a friend. all models were assembled and off their bases. when doing special armies i like to create my own fun bases. let me know what you think. if you have any questions i am more than happy to answer. i have pictures of finished models as well as in progress. usually i do five marines at a time.

here are some pics of marines that just have the armor started. there are 30 marines in total, the loken abby battle, and the justaerin terminators. when these are all finished there will be another forge world order for some contemptors and i believe jump infantry.

http://i1284.photobucket.com/albums/a576/shadesofgraypainting1/IMG_1960_zpsc81918d3.jpg

http://i1284.photobucket.com/albums/a576/shadesofgraypainting1/IMG_1961_zps90ae51aa.jpg

Nice work. Impressive shading on those mk3 legionaries. The Umbra pattern bolters are something I've rarely seen with mk3, they usually get overlooked for the bigger, chunkier Phobos pattern. Looking at these though they really suit them. Looking forward to seeing these guys progress. What mark of armour are the assault squad going to be? And are they going to be painted up as Reavers? 

yes. i was planning on painting the assault guys up like reavers. half with jump packs and half without. the order was going to be the thirty man deal. so whatever armor that is. i will be posting the diorama of Abaddon and Loken on the completed forum. check it out. everything is being painted at the high end table top quality. 

The shade of sea-green you got is nice, very rich. The metal portions of the armour could use a slightly stronger highlight though. I'm also seeing quite a few mold lines, man. Watch out for those.

All in all, great job, bro. Keep up the good work!

The shade of sea-green you got is nice, very rich. The metal portions of the armour could use a slightly stronger highlight though. I'm also seeing quite a few mold lines, man. Watch out for those.

All in all, great job, bro. Keep up the good work!

the mold lines drive me crazy. i am just trying to work around them. for the most part been painting them as battle damage. the owner gave me all of the models assembled and primed black. so i have just been dealing with it. 

Nice painting brother, have you thought about doing some istvaan v thread work?

how do i go about doing that? new to this whole posting on the internet thing.

Pretty much post your WIP link in the thread and all finished models single/squads get posted in there. No limits or constraints other than trying to stay with the istvaan v fluff

Pretty much post your WIP link in the thread and all finished models single/squads get posted in there. No limits or constraints other than trying to stay with the istvaan v fluff

Archived