Deathwing and Drop-pod Assaults- Rules advice/opinion

plasmaspam

Apologies if this has already been resolved in previous DWA threads, after a search and study of the forum I couldn't find a definitive answer.

Q: Does DWA + DPA allow us to "reserve" an entire hypothetical Deathwing army of - Belial, 2x DW Squads, 2x Dreads in Drop Pods

Since:

• Up to 50% of units (rounded up) may be reserved at deployment (i.e. at least 50% of units (rounded down) must start on the board)
  • Pods (and the units in them) MUST start in reserve AND don't count as reserved
  • DPA allows 50% of Pods to auto-arrive on 1st turn
  • DWA I assume doesn't need further discussion

Would you say then that:

• (Big-50% "reserved" for DWA) + (Small-50% "reserved" for DPA) = 100% "reserved" at deployment
  • Or would the Reserves rule force opening deployment one of the DW squads

"Q: Do units deploying via the Deathwing Assault special rule count toward the limit of units you are allowed to keep in Reserves at the

start of a battle? (p44)

A: Yes.", C:DA FAQ

This has been debated extensively in the +OR+ forum, but this FAQ makes it pretty clear.  You would have two units (because a unit and its Dedicated Transport count as a single unit) which must start in Reserve (Dreads embarked in Drop Pods), and three units (Belial, 2 DW Terminator squads) which may start in Reserve, of which only two could be Reserved to deploy using DWA.

No, it doesn't allow for it, here's why:

The Pods don't count at all, therefore they can start in Reserve.

Then you have two units of DW plus Belial in one unit to DWA. Units in DWA must abide by the 50% Reserve rule because they count toward it, therefore, 2 units/2 = one must start on the board. Belial can join the DWA unit, or can start on the board and still be within the rules, heck, thinking about it, if you really wanted to, Belial could probably remain detached as a separate unit, then you could put both DW units into DWA (3/2 = 1.5, round up to 2) and risk him in the first round, but all your stuff would be able to use him to come down cleanly if he survived.

Edit: ignore the Belial part if he doesn't count as a unit if kept separate, I can't remember right now.

And :ph34r: 'd

Thanks both!

Yes - thinking on how you've both argued, the Pods aren't even part of the equation given that they MUST start off the table, but simultaneoulsy aren't considered "Reserved", so it's 50% of the remaining units.

@ Bryan Blaire - "Independent Characters are also counted as a single unit regardless of whether they have joined another unit or not" (Little Rule Book p124)- which I interpret as meaning you couldn't hide Belial in a squad to reduce the ratio.

Archived