Ravenwing Tactica Help. Prot crosses the table!

Prot

The Vengeance speeder sucks for the points outlay. don't get it whatever you do.

I've never come up against triple drakes yet, but a good friend of mine is always going double drake vs me and I combat it with double Nephilim. to a certain extent it depends on the reserves rolls but it at least gives him pause for thought.

Just rely on them failing their grounded tests. Use the Nephilim to knocked them to the ground and then ravage them with melta and plasma fire from the bikes. that's the only way I can ever kill em - get them on the ground!

A shroud speeder is good to run alongside a Dakka Banner and a couple of RAS. I generally don't have the fast attack slots free for one though, as I got 2 x Nephilim and a Typhoon squad which does me alright.

We are talking about Baledrakes here right? Because I played with them a lot and never had a grounding test.

2 Nephilims seem like a lot especially for their points. I'm no expert on Dark Angels, and that's why I started this thread but I gotta be honest, I just have stronger belief in an Aegis line and a Quad cannon. What I've been doing is combat squading a Tactical squad and either putting them behind an Aegis or even a Bastion and it seems to be more flexible and even ... more durable?

Ah okay, no worries. I just wondered because this was news to me.

As a side question, in re-reading the Sam rules and the Ravenwing Attack Squad rules, and how he turns them into a troops selection;  I was wondering if the Attack Bike and the Landspeeder purchased with the Ravenwing Attack Squad also count as troops? If so, I have to wonder why I wouldn't go that route? It seems like an obvious choice, unless I'm missing something?

Yup, they get included as part of the troops FoC choice. Normal scoring/deny rules apply though so no shenanigans ok? I often include single Typhoons as harrassment units to assist the 'Wolf pack' of bikers. Kamakazi MM ABs are also great armour smashers too.

Yeah, the speeders aren't scoring, even though they are troops.

Really? But the attack bike is? This is confusing to me.

I am really excited about this project and some of the items I've purchased have come out of this thread. For instance, I'm avoiding the plasma Speeder as it comes across as a dud here, and in my playtesting, but I will be trying the Shroud. Also decided to pick up a Nephilim even though in my testing it has been.... a touch lacklustre compared to the other flyers I have played/faced.

I am really excited about this project and some of the items I've purchased have come out of this thread. For instance, I'm avoiding the plasma Speeder as it comes across as a dud here, and in my playtesting, but I will be trying the Shroud. Also decided to pick up a Nephilim even though in my testing it has been.... a touch lacklustre compared to the other flyers I have played/faced.

Yep, Page 123 of the BRB. They're Vehicles, so they can neither be scoring or denial units

Well the attack bike is a scoring unit as it is simply unit type: bike; so its the same as the normal bikes.....of course Sammy has to be your HQ for them to be scoring.

So, let's take an example of a Ravenwing unit, with Sammael as a HQ choice....

Ravenwing Attack Squadrons in the same Primary Detachment as Sammael are troops choices not Fast Attack choices. If you purchase a 6-bike unit, attack bike and speeder, they all count as 1 troop choice as far as the FOC is concerned. The bike squad, attack bike and speeder, from that moment on, are counted as separate units, for calculating reserves, VP and everything else. The bikes and attack bike are scoring, the speeder is not as it is a vehicle. You can also combat squad the bikes if there are 6 of them, to make 2 x 3-bike scoring units......

....it's what sets us apart from Codex Bike armies smile.png

EDIT - ninja'dph34r.png

Okay, thanks for the clarification.

Speaking strictly of anti-air, what's the best way to handle it Ravenwing style? I ask this because most of my opponent's have a minimum of 2 flyers (except a Nid dude) and most of the competitve games sometimes end upagainst 2 Heldrakes, or 3+ Necron flyers.

Right now I see this in a few possibilties from my experiences with other armies:

1. To heck with them, ignore air support or anti-air. (I have gotten away with this with my other armies at times, but with Ravenguard this may be suicide considering Heldrakes can delete bikes on demand.)

2. Go with the Aegis/Bastion Quad gun. Or try some other 'ground based' solution?

3. Nephilim's. A little over priced imo, but capable and at least it can't be shot down by bolters (I'm looking at you, Eldar flyers.) And I really don't understand the Blacksword missiles. 

I really enjoyed the fluff page for the Nephilim though.

Archived