Death Wing color.

Grimdarkness

Let me preface this be stating I am not a fan of the bleached bone of the deathwing. I have never in my life seen a tan/brown ash produced.

Beside the old question of did all one hundred suites get repainted I'm thinking of painting my DW an ash white or a really light gray and am hoping that maybe other's have done similar and if so do they look like DW and is there a lot of flack from the fluff nazi out there.

I've never used the DW and I am hoping that this idea can work and I can finally field the first company in games either all in ash white or a mix of first legion black and plains world gray/ash white.

Thanks brother's. 

From a fluff point of view the colours are suitably close in my mind and besides they're your models and you can paint them in every colour you want.

But if you want to adhere to the fluff, like I said it would be close enough for me.

In addition I remember when the SM Captain in Terminator Armour was released and painted in DA livery (by the Eavy Metal guys) it was actually more white then bone and looked great.

Anyway just my two cents...

They have been done in white on this board with great results. From a fluff point of view, the ash white is actually closer to the fluff.

The bone coloring is probably due to color theory and to help tie them in better with the boys in green since the warmer bone color has that touch of red that helps it to go well with green.

I'm painting a command squad ash white for my ETLII vow so keep an eye out for my WIP thread. I'm almost done with the armour colour and I'll put up another progress report in the next two or three days.

I painted a squad for last years ETL in a brown/cream style and it looks ok but is harder to accomplish than the ash white scheme and I'm indifferent to the way it looks now.

What I've almost done is a black undercoat, codex grey, black wash, fortress grey, top down highlight with 1:1 fortress grey/skull white, edged with skull white. I've done one model to make sure I didn't have to strip them all back and start again and the overall effect is near white but distinctly not white going to almost black in the recesses with black joints. But I'll finish all of the armour, reset my photobucket password, and get some decent pictures up.

In my experience bones are never the tan colour that GW use for their Deathwing models, so if anything is non-canon they are. Bleached Bone is a poorly named paint.

That being said, either brown or grey shading works well for Deathwing white. I use a brown shade because my technique has evolved from using bleached bone as a base coat. If I was starting now I'd probably go for a grey to black shade instead.

Mine are more brownish.  It just looks good.  Nothing wrong with fielding an entire army of apothecaries, though.  Hell, paint them green and say they're the first company of a successor.

Archived