Help w/ Iron Hands army list?

Urathis

Hello all!

I am new to these forums and have been drawn here by fellow Astartes players on my hunt to find a good resource to use for my Iron Hands army project. I have looked about (and searched) these forums and found what appears to be a great start for a homebrew supplemental codex for the IH, but it has been bogged down to where I could not follow some trains of thought clearly or understand what there were going for. One member on this forum has a link to an outdated army list/suggestion build that I found useful, but there were some rules I was not familiar with/and or could not find them in the big rule book.

Here is what I have so far as an army list goes and I would greatly appreciate any input you can offer!

HQ:

Master of the Forge (with servo-harness) serving as an Iron Father

-May use the statline from Master of the Chapter unless I can find more specified rules that could turn the tide from a regular tech marine

-May be accompanied by 4 servitors (2 heavy support, 2 close combat)

Techmarine (bolt pistol and CC weapon w/ servo arm)

-May be accompanied by 2 servitors (heavy support)

-May also be part of a Devastator squad (w/ lascannons)

(Optional) Librarian or another Tech Marine (pending on opposing army)

Troops:

2 tactical squads of Marines w/ sergeant in power armor (as per fluff/suggestions around the Internet)

-May have heavy bolters, flamers, missle launchers, etc

-Sergeant to have Thunder Hammer or Terminator specified weapons (pending on ruling with Master Artificer)

Elite:

Venerable or Ironclad Dreadnought

-DCCW and possibly lascannon or autocannon

Heavy Support:

Thunderfire Cannon

-This would be where my 2nd HQ would be nearby to support when necessary

Rhinos and/or Land Raiders for transport of tactical squads or other models

This is a very amateurish build I know, but I come from playing an entirely different race so I am still getting the ropes of Space Marine tactics and army builds.

Hail brother. Before we get started in helping you, we are going to need a little more information. First, we need to know what your point limit is. We also need to know if there is a certain direction you want to go with your army. Do you want your army to sit back and shoot, to get in close, do you prefer flyers or tanks, etc.? I personally built my army around a planetary assault force, so the only units that I use are those that can deep strike (mainly drop pods) and flyers.  Also, what is your favorite unit? I personally like to build my armies around my favorite units to get the most out of them. Personally my two favorite units are the Honor Guard squad (which I use to represent a techmarine covenant fluff-wise) and the Ironclad dread.

Answering these questions will make it a lot easier for us to help you :tu:

Glory to the Omnissiah!

Hail fellow Astartes!

Typically I go for a mix of 70/30 with 70 being shooty and the 30 being made for CC. I prefer to obliterate my enemies with the wondrous machinations of the Mechanicum when possible but nothing is more satisfying than saying hello with a thunderhammer. I would like to eventually come to field predators and whirlwinds to obliterate my foes and possibly a stormraven or thunderhawk to challenge the skies. As far as points would go I would say the fair estimate of a 1500 pt game.

My favorite unit would have to be hands down are the techmarines. They are schooled in the mysteries of the Mechanicum and their servitors help boost their effectiveness in battle provided they are properly equipped for war. My second favorite type of unit would be the Venerable Dreadnought. I would forgo any Terminator squad or HQ to be able to field a fearsome Dreadnought on the battlefield and to equip the ancient warrior with weapons of brutal killing efficiency would make me proud to spend the points on him.

Are you looking for a purely fluffy list or something that can hold its own while still having the very distinct Iron Hands feel to it? Also Tac sergeants cant take thunderhammers any more :(.

But for a 1500 Iron hands list

MotF with conversion beamer

a techmarine to ride with some marines or do whatever

2 Ironclads in pods

2 Tac squads in razerbacks and maybe one in a Pod

a TFC and a pred or 2.

First off welcome to the community.

I play Sons of Medusa (an Iron Hands successor chapter) and what i run is
MotF

Captain

Tactical Squad 

Tactical Squad

Tactical Squad

Tactical Squad

Devistator squad

Thunderfire Cannon

Thunderfire Cannon

Iron Clan Dreadnaught

Venerable Dreadnaught

Techmarine

Techmarine

Aegis Defense Line

My plan of action is to just sit back and shoot. It has worked for me pretty well so far and it's a really fun army to play and i love the models.

Thanks for your suggestions, brothers.

As far as my list goes I definitely want to create an army that holds true to the fluff but can still do some damage as I like to keep as close as I can without too much deviation. As unfortunate as it is for tac sergeants to take thunderhammers I will definitely take time to figure out how to go about doing this. I was thinking of adopting Wolf Guard rules and establishing a Morlock squad which can accompany the Iron Father or HQ or conversely split and attach to squads (still relatively new to Space Marine rules so I will double check myself and make sure this is "legal" as far as that goes)

I used to run my IH/SoM out of the SW codex. I just didn't take fenrisian wolves/thunder wolves etc.

I like this idea, but I think BA's could pull it off even better--taking Terminator-armoured Sanguinary Priests to act as Veteran Sergeants, bestowing their squads with FnP; a fluffy choice representing all their bionic implants. BA's also have access to a wider variety of Dreadnoughts, including the awesome AV13 Furioso, which also lends itself to the Iron Hand's love of the ol' metal sarcophagus.

However while BA and SW can both nail the TDA-clad Sergeants angle of the Iron Hands; SW's Iron Priests can't take Servo-harnesses, and only the Vanilla codex has the Master of the Forge, Ironclad Dreadnoughts and Thunderfire Cannons, all of which would make great additions to an Iron Hands list. And when you factor in the rumoured Iron Hands supplement that may well accompany the vanilla codex later this year, I think vanilla is the way to go. yes.gif

Archived