Vindicators in RW

Blicket

I was wondering if anyone had tried 3 Vindicators followed by PFG IC on bike in their lists. If so how did it perform. I am thinking with all the 24" range it fits well, and if you want to risk an IC with an suspect could really add to the flavor.

sorry double post I'm newb.

the problem i have seen with vindicators, even in pairs, is that they are incredibly sucky at what they do. The str10 ap2 blasts only cover a few guys, and the short range means that people can literally stay an inch out of it's range and it can't do anything. the side armor is weak as hell, and it blows up first turn.

take something long range to compliment the short range of RW. like typhoons or predators.

the problem i have seen with vindicators, even in pairs, is that they are incredibly sucky at what they do. The str10 ap2 blasts only cover a few guys, and the short range means that people can literally stay an inch out of it's range and it can't do anything. the side armor is weak as hell, and it blows up first turn.

take something long range to compliment the short range of RW. like typhoons or predators.

That's the first time in my 10+ years of playing that I've ever heard someone say a Vindicator is "sucky at what they do."

They are great at what they do and if your opponent decides to shoot everything they have at it, then its done its job :D

It all depends on what your scatter dice rolling is like.....mine is awesome for deep strike at the moment, awful for pie plates smile.png

I would say, however, that spreading out the Vindi's would be a better plan so that more of the table is covered by the bubble of S10 blasts, which negates the effectiveness of the PFG. On the other hand, I have run a Techmarine attached to a las/missile devastator squad, in base contact with a Rifleman Dreadnought, Whirlwind and Razorback, with a 3 Typhoon squadron of speeders within range of the PFG......my opponent had no blast weapons of any sort, so grouping together wasn't a problem. I called it the Techmarine blob of doom, and in the first 3 turns I lost a single hull point off the Dread, and an autocannon (which I repaired the following turn) smile.png

That's the first time in my 10+ years of playing that I've ever heard someone say a Vindicator is "sucky at what they do."

They are great at what they do and if your opponent decides to shoot everything they have at it, then its done its job biggrin.png

I never had good experiences with them, even after a year of playing. My last game that had them saw the tanks die horribly to an orbital bombardment, so they arn't on my "best" list.

Also, they are about the price of black knights anyways.

They are great at what they do and if your opponent decides to shoot everything they have at it, then its done its job biggrin.png

I never had good experiences with them, even after a year of playing. My last game that had them saw the tanks die horribly to an orbital bombardment, so they arn't on my "best" list.

Also, they are about the price of black knights anyways.

True. But the Vindicator will draw the ire of a lot more shooting that just a squad of black knights on the board. And if he takes a lot of your opponent's shooting he's doing a job right there, firing magnet smile.png

You should keep trying them out, they're a really strong vehicle available to a space marine. They're just like Land Raiders though, take one and its dead, take two and you'll have one to use biggrin.png

I honestly think there is nothing wrong with Vindicators, anything to draw fire from your scoring units is a good thing. However I would never go Triple Vindicator. Maybe double Vindicator and an Auto las predator. That's a lot of AV13 for an enemy to worry about.

One is ok; two is four times better than that; three is nine times better than one for only three times the cost.

Our playstyle has changed a lot since the new dex dropped and I use them far less now but the principle is still the same for Vindies tactics in isolation... Deny half the table to your opponent through fear or soak up a round of shooting.

I agree that spamming them seems a little over the top, but if you want a face smash list then three are still a very valid option. I'm loving the uber cheap Whirlie now instead for horde harassment duty so there is plenty of competition in the HS slots. I have only limited successful use of preds, we use tonnes of LoS blocking terrain so it's- over the top or in your face are my go to weapon options but they can certainly add another dimension to the fire plan (Hell take one of each).

Archived