feel no pain stacking +++ ?

reagelz

Hello I just have a quick question, and I was just wondering if feel no pain stacks?

In the case of Dark angels: I could take Azrael, I would give him the FnP warlord trait. I would also take him in a command squad with an apothecary, and I would give the squad the banner of fortitude (gaining +++)? If the Fnp really did not stack, what would be the point of buying an apothecary for 30 pts, and then the banner for 85 pts?

Sorry, I have not been so active on the internet and have not yet seen any discussion or rule clearing on this particular question. 

I believe that falls under "only one roll".  I cannot find a page reference specific to FnP but you must choose whether to take your cover save or your armor save and when that one fails you cannot roll the other.  If you have a mini covered by two FnP rolls then you choose which one to take and then you cannot roll the other... The rule for FnP on page 35 implies this by: "If a 4 or less is rolled you must take the wound as normal."   It doesnt say you get another shot at rolling a FnP roll, it says you take it.

I think the OP is asking whether having FNP (5+) twice (via SoF and Apothecary) means that you have FNP (3+); to which the answer is no. As far as I know, the only way to buff FNP saves is via the Chaos Daemons Warpflame special rule, which explicitly improves FNP under certain circumstances. The analogy would be with cover saves: does your Ravenwing Jink cover save stack with an Aegis line/area terrain cover save? No, it doesn't - you use the best one available to you, but one does not add to the other.

In answer to the OP's other question (why bother taking apoth and SoF?): redundancy. Taking both means that the enemy has to kill the apoth and the standard bearer in order to rid your command squad of their FNP. You might think that worth the extra 30 points or not - if not, and assuming that you want the banner anyway, then drop the apoth...

Archived