Returning to 40k, feels good to be Unforgiven again.

3DJutsu

Hey all, just recently came back to 40k after an absence of a few years. A bit of lore on me, back in early 2000 is when I started playing 40k and I originally started playing with Dark Angels. Can't remember what drew me to them originally, but I think it was their fluff. Whats not to like about the Emperor's 1st Legion, the Sons of the Lion, the Unforgiven? Yea, sure we might cyclonically nuke a planet from high orbit to keep our darkest secret safe "scour a planet free of all chaos influence", but they more than make up for it in spades with their unwillingness to back down from any fight.

The thing that most drew me into them is that they are notoriously stubborn and methodical with their strategies. Though in all my years of 40k I have yet to prove that I'm even remotely worthy of being an example of a Son of the Lion. I have yet to win more than a few matches. XD

I've also played Tau, Tyranids, Necrons, and Regular Space Marines.

Part of it stems from my rashness and poor tactical decisions. But I've never REALLY applied myself to 40k like I do with D&D or Video Games. First game in many years last week ending in a crushing defeat against Space Marines w/ Space Wolf Allies. I conceded the game in the bottom of the 4th when I had only Belial and my TDA-IC left on the board. And he had only lost two squads.

Another problem is that have trouble playing the MISSION, I tend to play deathmatch every. frakkin. game. Don't even realize I'm doing it until it's to late. The final problem is that my dice hate me, but thats what I get for playing with unpainted, partially assembled models.

In all my years of 40k I have yet to have a fully painted army. =(

And sorry about all the text, I'm not very good with expressing to I tend to ramble a lot... excessively so.

With that being said though...

I'd like some advice on how to save money at 40k. With a kid on the way in addition to the toddler I've got now, money is getting tighter. I have some ideas like buying that product that's superior to Insta-mold to save on bits and help with making things like the Forgeworld Outrider bikes for my BK's. What are some other ways I can save?

What are some of your strategies that you find successful? Not just the ones that are becoming the meta, like the Dakka-pole, but off-the-wall, out-of-the-box kind of things that are unique or unexpected.

And finally, Facebook or Blogger? I used to run a Blogger for my Tau to keep track of their progress but would facebook get more views?

Thanks guys, now if you'll excuse me I have a Legion to assemble.

Having two kids of my own and being in the Military (never the highest paying job) I can say scour Ebay. Not always but you can sometimes find great deals people just trying to get rid of stuff. Be patient and look often and you can find a good deal sometimes. A lot of the stuff is the same price as the 20% discount stores but occasionally you find a true gem. Good luck with the kiddo and finding cheaper models. I'd give you tactical advice but not playing in 6th yet I'm not the best person in the world for this. Hope it helps.

DoC

I use to buy recklessly, and like you never really "completed" anything in 40K. I know what is like to have kids, I have 3 of them. I quit and came back many times.

The thing you need to do, is have an objective. What do you want to do? Do you want to collect 1000 points, 1500, 2000 or 10 000? What do you want to play? Play competitively, or just for fun or both? Once you have done that, then pre plan what you want to buy. You might have to forge your Timmies, or Starbucks. Do you want new or used? I find the Dark Vegence a great buy. Also as DoC sgt said, what about used? Ebay, Kijjijji and what not is a good place to look if you are patient enough. 

But have a plan. I didn't and kept quitting alot since I never got anything done. :P

I would have to agree with a lot of what is said above when it comes to the Savings you can get on Ebay. With the new Starter Kit, you can reliably find Tactical Squads for around 12 USD, and characters or other units like Ravenwing bikes and Deathwing terminators for not a lot more. Depending on what you play, I would suggest getting the basic FOC down with Starter Set units purchased on EBay, that way the special characters kits and erc. will still cost a lot, but you'll have more to spend on them out of your budget.

The way i am building my deathwing army (haven't played since second edition, so 15 - 18 yrs ago last time i've played) i got most of my stuff off ebay, if you can find right price with right shipping costs its usually cheaper but some stuff you can't get like i need Beilal and that model just ain't for sale on ebay, so i had to order that at local game store that deals in gw products, other than that i did a  combination of amazon and ebay, still need drop pod then my 2k pts list is completed

Just rememeber when buying on ebay, it's buyer be ware. They can come in crappy condition. You might not get exactly what you expect. Also you may save $5 getting on ebay or what not, but then you will not be getting the extra sprues in most cases. So make sure it's really what you want to get.

If anything, if buying brand new, just means you have to save a bit longer.

So if you say you could pay $75 for a book but now it's $90, you can afford the $90 book as well. We all complain (me included) about the price, but all it means is we just have to save a bit more to get things brand new. While we complain about the extra $20 or $25 more for price increase, we really piss this $20 or $25 else where with no problems. 

GW is like buying a car. If you can afford a $35 000 car, you can afford a $40 000 car. (then again, we don't get a loan for GW stuff, so maybe it's not a good compression :P)

One more thing, I would get the Dark Vengence box set brand new if you can afford it. Don't forget you also get the complete rule book (no fluff but all the rules are there) in the box set, dice, so it's a really good start if you don't have the rule book. Otherwise, scour ebay for the mini rule book as well. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Warhammer-40k-Dark-Vengeance-Space-Marine-Dark-Angel-Tactical-Squad-/130933316376?pt=Games_US&hash=item1e7c3bdb18 not selling anything, just using this as an example. It was the first thing that came up when I typed Dark Angel on ebay. 

So you can see so far this costs $12.75 as of time I linked it. So now you have to think, how much will the bikes cost, how much will the death wing cost. How much all the Chaos units will cost (can be used as "counts as" DA for now till you get more DA), and how much the rules will cost as well. You may find out buying everything separately, is not as cost effective as buying a complete new DV starter set, and you get everything all at once. 

*edit* here is another link. Not sure what comes with this, since I haven't used ebay in ages, so not sure if this is a good deal or not. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dark-Angels-Army-/161057220688?pt=Games_US&hash=item257fc22850

hopefully these examples help you out. :)

I may end up investing in a few DA DV armies offa ebay. They appear to go for roughly $40 for all the DA models. Which is a steal regardless of the fact that they're Snap models.

I may end up investing in a few DA DV armies offa ebay. They appear to go for roughly $40 for all the DA models. Which is a steal regardless of the fact that they're Snap models.

Is it really a steal? So lets say $40 for DA, 40$ for Choas, that is $80. $20-25 for the rule book, that is $100. I guess you can say the rest of the stuff, dice, beginer books would be $20, or say they are free and DA and Chaos are $50 each. 

Do you already have the rule book? Do you just want the DA stuff and not the Chaos SM stuff? Unless you just want the DA stuff and not the Chaos stuff, the Chaos stuff looks awsome to me so I would consider getting the DV box, and start from there. While I was looking, not sure if you have the DA codex yet, but it seems you can get it for a good price on Ebay as well. 

Also look at the second link, Brother Degas thinks that is a great deal there. 

Is it really a steal? So lets say $40 for DA, 40$ for Choas, that is $80. $20-25 for the rule book, that is $100. I guess you can say the rest of the stuff, dice, beginer books would be $20, or say they are free and DA and Chaos are $50 each. 

Do you already have the rule book? Do you just want the DA stuff and not the Chaos SM stuff? Unless you just want the DA stuff and not the Chaos stuff, the Chaos stuff looks awsome to me so I would consider getting the DV box, and start from there. While I was looking, not sure if you have the DA codex yet, but it seems you can get it for a good price on Ebay as well. 

Also look at the second link, Brother Degas thinks that is a great deal there. 

For me it's a massive deal. $33 for a Tactial Squad, for $7 more I get a full Tactical squad with a weapons loadout they probably would have gotten anyways, a 5 strong DW squad with AC and CF, 3 strong RW squad with a PG, a Librarian that could pass for Ezikiel, and a Company Master that could sub in for Azrael. All resplendent in Dark Angels iconography. 

I've already got the rulebook, dice, ruler, and a multi-template. I've also no desire to start a CSM army just yet, but someday maybe I'll go for a Tzeentch and/or Slaneesh flavored army(ies). As for the second link, I only for for Buy-it-now's. I'll only ever bid on an item if it's something I don't mind fighting peope a few days for. But for stuff that will cost me probably the same amount as a BIN, might as well just purchase it.

Then you got a steal and a great deal. 

Not fimiliar with "buy it now" deals. I guess I should look into that, and try it myself. So how come you use buy it now?  Does that mean there is no more bidding?

Now start painting and lets see your army :D

Then you got a steal and a great deal. 

Not fimiliar with "buy it now" deals. I guess I should look into that, and try it myself. So how come you use buy it now?  Does that mean there is no more bidding?

It's up to the seller whether they set up an auction or just set a price at which you can "buy it now".

+1 to buying on eBay, but set yourself a price you won't go beyond and don't go beyond it.  I've seen people get sucked into competing against other bidders and driving the price of an auction up to the point where, including shipping, they're paying more than retail price.

Keep an eye on those shipping costs, too.  No sense buying something on eBay and paying as much/more than retail once you factor in shipping costs.

+1 to picking up Dark Vengeance.  The 6th ed rulebook is $75.  Dark Vengeance is $100, comes with the rulebook and a ton of sweet models.  Interesting note: the DV Ravenwing Bikers have the same fairings as RW Black Knights.  If you have some plasma guns you can stick in there instead of bolters, you've got a start on your Black Knight squadron.

Having already had some unassembled bikes kicking around (including an old-school 3rd ed Ravenwing Bike Squadron), I ordered some Black Knight fairings/weapon mounts on eBay to make them Black Knights.  Just alerting you to the possibility of doing so.  I miss Battlewagon Bitz, but there's at least one guy with an eBay store filling the niche for now.

Planning to use the FW Legion Outrider bikes as my Black Knights, my order of Instant Mould came in recently so I can replicate to farings off of the one Outrider I bought. Still gotta buy the bikes though. Corvus hammers and all that.

Archived