New Guy

Hello all,

I am somewhat new to 40k, have about 1500 points of Marines painted and having a good time with it :)  I am looking to get into the background stories a bit more.  Just wondering what to pick up first from the Black Library.  I would like to start at the Horus Heresy but I don't have to.  Just looking for some suggestions to get me stated.

THANKS!

Well, do you have a specific chapter that you like or want to know more about?  That can narrow down the choices.  

But to just name my top 5- the Soul Hunter trilogy, First Heretic and Betrayer by A D-B are a joy, Prospero Burns by Dan Abnett was quite good, and Fear To Tread by James Swallow was pretty entertaining, too.

The Horus Heresy series has been quite good, though I haven't read the whole collection by a wide margin.  I can't recall reading any that were bad, but some are definitely better than others.

On a different note, I always enjoy seeing other peoples' work, so if you fancy it do please throw some pics of your first army up in the WIP or Hall of Honor subforums :)

Fifteen Hours

Helsreach

Ciaphas cain series

Night Lords series by Aaron dembski-bowden

Horus Heresy books that I'd recommend reading:

The first three books

Mechanicum

The first heretic

Aurelian

Betrayer

Angel Exterminatus

Legion