All Drop Pod Army (Or Mostly Drop Pods)

Brothers,

So the topic question is simple. If you were going to set up a large army list of approximately 2000 - 4000 points from our codex and had 7 Drop pods and pretty much all units to use what would you bring for an all comers list? I've got two Nephilims I was thinking for adding Anti Air and just because hey at 4K you can bring units that are expensive but they look awesome. I have just about every greenwing model you can think of or build so I ask you tacticians out there throughout the Rock. What do I bring? I've used 5 Drop pods before in 5th edition I have not played a game in 6th edition. I don't mind bringing one or two of the Deathwing or Ravenwing squads but I want it to be mostly Drop Pods and Greenwing with support like Dreads and maybe a few tanks but not sure what to bring.

Thanks For any and all help and any experience anyone has in mostly or all Drop pods in 6th edition would be appreciated.

DoC Sgt

For reliable, hard hitting, and awesome AA, turn to forgeworld.

For just under the cost of a 9 man tactical squad with no upgrades you get two twin linked auto cannons with sky fire and interceptor as long as it doesn't move. For the same cost of a ten man tactical with just a power weapon on the Sergeant it's two twin linked las cannons. Or for a melta bomb under the basic 5 man Deathwing squad, you can get a contemptor with two heavy 6 assault cannons and a cyclone missile launcher, creating a 24" radius circle of doom for any flyer.

That's what I use for anti air personally

If you were going to set up a large army list of approximately 2000 - 40000 points from our codex

If I was allowed 40,000 points in an army... ohhhhhhh boy....!

Jokes aside, if you don't want to include Forgeworld stuff, I'd definitely say at least one suicide Veteran Squad all equipped with Combi Flamers to really lay into the heart of the enemy and really hurt whichever unit you see is the most dangerous (and that can be damaged by flamers). If they survive then you can always assault with them later into something else (giving a few of them Storm Shields could work if you want to waste some points, I suppose).

The trouble about Drop Pods is that the unit inside, can't assault on the turn that they land - however if you can use Forgeworld rules and models, use the Lucius Pattern Drop Pod for a Dreadnought and load in a (Contemptor) Dreadnought to really bring in the pain. Treat it as a Suicide unit so give it a Heavy Flamer (or the Graviton Gun) in one hand and any other template or "meaty" weapon such as the Plasma Cannon, Assault Cannon or Twin LInked Autocannon.

Nephilims are cool - I'd still rather take something like nine Black Knights over them just because they can do so much more and are a really good "all-comers" kind of unit. The place where a Nephilim seems to really shine for me is when it has the Avenger Mega Bolter attachment instead of the Twin LInked Lascannon. Giving it the Anti-Infantry role seems to work out better for me than the Anti-Air role the fluff seems to suggest that it's so good for. Until the Missiles get buffed or something, we're just not going to be using it as a reliably fast Anti-Air (though forcing an immobilisation onto a vehicle or aerial unit is pretty hot...).

Definitely stick in at least one Whirlwind in your list - it's too good to pass up for:

Eldar, Dark Eldar, Tau, Imperial Guard, Tyranids, Chaos Cultists, Scouts and Orks/Gretchin. It's only not so great against Marines but even then, it'll at least be taking one or two model away per turn (and getting to snipe with it is awesome!)

As for other Drop Pod alternatives...

Unfortunately, not being able to assault on the same turn means you can't always rely on something meaty like Deathwing Knights or an Assault Squad. Similarly, giving a Command Squad the Banner of Devastation and loading up a bunch of other Tactical Squads with Bolters isn't reliable either - rolling Reserves sucks when you can't get them to come in on a crucial turn.

The best things to Drop Pod in, I feel, is the Tactical Deathwing unit. Gaining Twin Linked on their Storm Bolters and Heavy Weapon's an awesome thing to behold and they're (more) likely to survive if they have a Storm Shield or two in there (take up to ten for dual heavy weapons!).

Two Twin Linked Heavy Flamers and Eight Twin LInked Storm Bolters sounds very nasty... Sure, it's Deathwing Assault rather than Drop Pod but still...

If they survive, you can almost guarantee everyone'll move the HECK away from those Heavy Flamers! (Good way to push Units from one flank to the centre etc.)

Bigga,

Edited the points for 4K not 40K worth of points. Though Apoc seems interesting I have to get back to my local area and see what the meta has turned into. I haven't been "home" in 3 years so yeah. I'm not a huge Contemptor model fan but I think the rules are cool. I like standard dreads better (the helmet head thing just doesn't do it for me no idea why) Has anyone used the standard dread for a Contemptor count as? I've got black knights and 4K I'd probably throw them in for some plasma grenade fun...........maybe Dark Talon instead of Neph? Magnets are a beautiful thing. I was thinking of a 10 man DW Tac Squad as a hammer support unit and I forgot to mention the 3 Whirlwinds I want to add.

Faceman I was thinking the same thing for a "Command Squad" Vets kitted out for CC and Azzy and Zeke to give them all a 4++ and WS5 -7.

Wish we had Sternguard that would round out the drop pod army wish perfectly. (Special issue Ammo is a beautiful thing) I will probably end up Allying them in through C:SM depending on my LGS but I have no idea if they are sticking to Allies or what. I've got the models for most if not all of it I just need to get off my butt and paint and put together. Everyone thinking Combi Flamers and Meltas? Just let the Plasma stick to an actual Plasma Gun?

Last question is for a Command Squad anyone use just a Apoth and 4 specials or just a Dakka pole and compliment it?

I appreciate all the input keep it coming please!

Personally, I never feel like I'm getting my money's worth with the Standard of Devastation... Especially with how I always want to maximise (read as: throw 200+ dice) so I generally stick with an Apothecary no matter what. It may seem like a points sink but usually, opponents always find some ingenious way to snipe your Banner model, lol. That and I really like the model and the idea of fluff behind it too!

But the Power Armour Command Squad is pretty squishy... if at all possible, take the Ravenwing or Deathwing one - even though they both cost SO much more... they survive and in an all-comers list, that's the most important thing.

If you still want to drop pod things as much as possible though, suicide Command Squad with all Flamers along with a Suicide Veteran Squad with Combi Flamers is going to be such a killer... but potentially Victory Points for your opponent...

Dark Talons are very support role - they don't take on as many infantry as a Nephilim do in my experience but sheesh, are Dark Talons really handy if you can time them well with the Stasis Bomb and Black Knight Grenade Launcher (Stasis Bomb to reduce that Weapon Skill, Grenade Launcher to reduce Toughness!) for an easier time dealing with tough opponents. If you get two Dark Talons, Two Land Raider Crusaders AND a Banner of Devastation though, that's a pretty solid firing wall and not TOO difficult to position...

On a French DA forum, a member made a 2000 pts full drop pod list. It's a REALLY powerful list.
(With of course some drawbacks but which list doesn't have some?)

You never mind not being able to charge... After a round of flamers or rapid fire weapons, the remnants of the target won't be a terrible threat...
Don't forget that in v6, GW reminded you that all the templates determines their hits in the same time, not one after the other that may imply that a 10 man squad may suffer 15 hits...
Personally I love my tactical squad of 9 with flamer, sgt with combi flamer, techmarine with harness and combi flamer. It's 4 template the turn they arrive + 16 bolter shots. Even marines has to fear it!
You don't mind DS on enemy units or terrain due to the special rule of the DP and you don't mind scattering since you deploy the tactical within 6" from the pod...

Really powerful

+++EDIT+++

Here's the list

Librarian (Divination) [65Pts]
Librarian (Divination) [65Pts]
Com squad 5 plasma Drop pod with localization beacon[220Pts]
Con squad 5 plasma drop pod [210Pts]

Tactical squad melta, combi melta drop pod [125Pts]

Dread, TL HF, HF, drop pod[150Pts]
Vets (10) 2 meltas 4 combi meltas drop pod with localization beacon [275Pts]
Vets(10) 2 plasmas, 6 combi plasmas drop pod [305Pts]

Assault squad combi flamer, 2combi flamers drop pod[105Pts]

Assault squad combi flamer, 2combi flamers drop pod[105Pts]

Total: 2000 Pts

+++EDIT+++

Assault squads drop pod added

Well, since there is 11 squads, you must deploy 6 squads with the 1st wave and 5 squads with the 2nd wave.

Obviously, the 2 drop pods with beacon will be deployed at turn 1. On the opposite, the tactical squads will be deployed after because they here to hold objectives and eradicate the remnats (not as many special weapons as the others). since they're only 5-man strong, they as to prevent being engaged as most as possible.

So turn one is :

Libby with command squad x2

Vets squads x2 (splitting when they arrive)

Dread

Assault squad x 1

After is

Tactical x4

Assault squad x1

It looks like the assault squads are not in drop pods, so would count toward the reserve limit, so my guess is that both Assault squads start on the table, with everything else in reserve. 9 drop pods means 5 on turn 1......I would guess the Dread and 2 vets and the command squads, as Avoghai stated above.

In which case, correct me if I am wrong as I don't have my BRB to hand.......don't the Librarians still count towards reserves even if they join the command squads?

Well since they embark in the drop pod, they are considered as compulsory reserves. So they do not count toward the 50% limit.

Hmmm, I'm not convinced they are.....I'm pretty sure that Independent Characters still count as a unit.... wish I had my BRB here to check! Will have a search through the OR sub-forum.....

Yep, you're right - just checked the BRB FAQ and even though the Librarians are units they don't count towards the reserve limit if they are in drop pods.....so everything can start in reserve as you said. As far as deployment goes, you count the number of pods, not units (I have the codex with me so have just checked the Drop Pod Assault rule), so its still 11 pods for a 6-5 split

smile.png

Good god 11 pods! I've got 7 didn't even think of 11. Maybe 9 though. Transporting all those is going to be hell. Anyone come up with a good load out for Vet Squad out of a pod? Obviously combi's but any tried and true load outs yet? I was thinking of doing Assault Squads with it leaving them on the table. I figure with the mediocre nature of the Assault marines and 6! Drop pods landing in the enemies face they probably aren't going to be a high priority for shooting. Which gives them time to get across the board without being shot to death. Then they can hit something like a troop choice and probably wipe them out. Any dedicated enemy assault units I need killed I suppose I can just plasma shoot to death. What do you all think of two dreads for Support fire? I was thinking Assault Cannon and Heavy Flamers for dual purpose. Maybe make them Venerable for that BS5?

Archived