Vjanik (The Wolf Eater)

This Little WIP Thread is dedicated to Vjanik the Wolf eater,

This is a collaboration between 1000 Heathens & Myself.

the idea for this sprung up from two places.

First was me sitting up one night thinking about how far the bonds of loyality between cousin marines could go.

In this case I thought of a space wolf and a world eater, both similar yet different.

each had some bonds of brotherhood within there packs and units.

both could similarly go into beserk rages, either from the mark of the wulfen or from the butchers nails.

I wondered if these similarities could surpass loyalty to a Primarch or even the emperor.

Second was my love of the idea of units or even single officers being seconded to another legion which within a couple of books isn't an uncommon thing, sort of like service in the deathwatch post heresy.

so I asked the question and a lot of people were against the idea of a wolf turning traitor,

until Heathens presented this....

Darkness. The smell of hot breath and old blood, not his but still familiar. A rattle of chains. Darkness, again.

Vjanik tried to keep his eyes shut, but the images, nay memories, that rolled in his mind were of far less comfort than the reality before him. A harsh voice, from the throat of a man who spent his whole life screaming in rage, filled his ears, "You're awake. What do you remember, little lost Wolf?"

He didn't want to speak to the bastard, but he felt compelled to voice his sins, to lift the weight of the horror from his spirit. Broken, scabbed lips parted from fangs as he raised his voice. "I... I remember breaking from the void. Our scout vessel was cast from the Soul-Ocean by a great riptide, so powerful that to remain would have meant death. I remember our auspexes screaming, ships of the XII falling upon us. Boarding pods broke the skin of our ship, and I and my kin rushed to halt the tide. After that..." Vjanik clenched his eyes shut again, a low growl of a pained animal emanating from him.

A snort from the harsh voiced one. "Having trouble retelling the tale? I was there, I could tell you..." Vjanik interrupted him as he snapped forward, held from the blue and marble traitor's throat by the chains around his arms. "Lydløs! You cannot understand, you are not Volk!" Vjanik fell back against the bloodstained wall again, his breathing becoming deeper and panicked with every second, a sub-sonic whine behind it all. His golden eyes turned up to look at his gaoler. Cast in the heraldry of the XII, the Eater of Worlds before him was not smiling or laughing at his misery. Instead, behind the tic-tic-tic of the Nails vomiting pure pain into his skull, Vjanik saw something far worse in his eyes.

Compassion. Understanding. Respect.

"Oh, I understand, and I'll never forget. The violence of the boarding action woke up the wolf in you; the real wolf. Not the demure creature your kind pretends to emulate, but the wild animal that is completely free. You tasted blood, and you were liberated. Not just my brothers died at your hands, but every one..." Vjanik thrashed against his bindings, doing anything to keep the words from reaching his ears, making as much noise as possible. It failed to help. ".... of your own kind. You slaughtered your kin, and ate their flesh, and howled with freedom, and only stopped when my men beat the consciousness from you. A dozen of my men died to preserve you from yourself." The son of Angron crouched down and looked Vjanik in the eyes. "You lost your mind. And you loved every second of it. We, cousin, are more alike than you realize."

Vjanik's face curled in misery and hatred of self, trying to look away. "No," a denial in the face of truth, a truth that he could still taste between his fangs. "I could never...I wouldn't..." The XII legion warrior placed his hand against his head, clenching his hair and forcing him to look. Not at him again, but at the grey-clad forms behind him, piled like cordwood. Vjanik looked straight into the lifeless eye of his beloved Jarl, the other eye lost along with half of his head, bitten away. Claw marks and toothed gouges covered the other bodies and their warplate. Cold blood still fell in coagulated clumps from massive wounds. Vjanik howled in sorrow, the sound filling the holding bay with misery.

Harsh-Voice spoke again. "You are cast out, orphan of Fenris. You are an oathbreaker. You are a kin-slayer. You are heart-sworn to Hróðvitnir, in your kind's tongue. You are an Eater of the Dead." A roar of a chainblade, a spark of hope that Harsh-Voice would end his torment. Instead, the chains holding Vjanik's arms fell away, cut in a hail of embers and metal fragments. The chainsword fell before him, teeth still smoking. "And you are a brother to the XII. Listen to the bloody howl in your heart, spit on you misery, twist your pain until it is a weapon, and make your choice, cousin." Harsh-Voice stood before him again, staring, the muscles in his face silent for the moment.

Vjanik reached down for the chainsword, and came to his feet armed. Dried blood flaked from his brow as he ran fingers through ratted hair, drawing it away from his eyes. Harsh-Voice still stood there, looking back at a kindred soul. "Make a damn decision, Gore-Wolf. I have a war to get back into."

Gripping the chainblade tighter, Vjanik made his choice. The mad wolf in his heart howled with glee.

Freedom.

===================================================================================

.... or something like that. I'm tired, lol.

so im pleased to introduce the first WIP shots.

http://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/y524/Taron_James_Beer/IMG_06671_zps185dd9f8.jpg

this is the idea of a pose, charging legs shield and frost axe in front, Frost axe known as Wolfsbane.

http://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/y524/Taron_James_Beer/IMG_06701_zps64172c8e.jpg

please note that the chest will be cut in half and im attaching the wolf pelt.

everything is currently blue tacked into place so im open to changes.

http://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/y524/Taron_James_Beer/IMG_06721_zpsba8fa735.jpg

and lastly 3 choices ive narrowed it down to for the head. im going to let everyone vote and by the end of this week whoever has the highest becomes Vjanik's new head

Well, if you're going for a charging pose, I'd choose the top head. Personally though, I gotta vote for the bottom one. Something about it just... the forlorn look on it, like he kinda regrets his actions, but does them anyway.

This is a great idea, Brother, and one I'm glad somebody's done - the World Eaters and the Wolves do have more in common than they realise.

I'm torn between the bottom and centre heads, because something tells me that this chap is relatively old and wizened, like a Grey Hunter or a Wolf Guard, to have been sent to the Eaters of Worlds. But that suggests loyalty as well. The top head screams Blood Claw to me, which would be better for the reckless attitude of a Berzerker.

My only issue with those heads is the fact that I'm not a braids fan, but then I don't play Space Wolves. I'd be tempted to go for the goatee/mohawk head in the Wolf Guard Terminators set rather than any of these selection. Might be because I can see the mouth. Plus, it might fit better than the beards.

But if I had to pick, it would be the bottom head.

Archived