Ludo's thread for hobby-related things

Dosjetka

I had a WIP log with a number of updates about a year ago, but that fell out of favour and was forgotten. Instead of reviving the old thread, I'll start anew with this one. Hopefully I'll be able to post at least an update a week, but I'm being very optimistic with that.

Anyway, the best way to start a WIP log, according to my most brilliant self, is to show off your current work table. I don't have a dedicated hobby area at the moment, so here's one I made earlier:

http://i.imgur.com/7TVrM0I.jpg?1

And here's the first member of the Assault Squad I'm working on at the moment: Veteran Sergeant Arash.

http://i.imgur.com/4ERnmFQ.jpg?2

Not sure which Chapter this chap is part of, but that's not too important right now.

Anyway, comments and constructive criticism are welcome, as always smile.png

Thanks for looking!

very nice, BBL! Where are the head and mace from, not sure I recognize them? What Chapter are you working on at the mo? I thought you were doing IW CSM?

Thanks Lysimachus :) The head is from the Forge World Raven Guard upgrade set, and the mace is built out of the Forge World Cataphractii power mace with the original mace head chopped off and replaced with the one from the Dark Angels upgrade set from GW.

And yes, the Iron Warriors are in the works, but I've only planned on painting up five of them for the moment because I only have so many legs and torsos :) Also, I'm a Loyalist at heart, so it could explain my many (as of yet unsuccessful) forays into the subject ;)

Concerning the Chapter, I honestly don't know. I may go full-on DIY with him and his squad.

Also, I'm a Loyalist at heart, so it could explain my many (as of yet unsuccessful) forays into the subject msn-wink.gif

Concerning the Chapter, I honestly don't know. I may go full-on DIY with him and his squad.

laugh.png

You should definitely do a Crusade army (official/DIY/combo of both?), would suit you down to the ground!msn-wink.gif

• 5 months later...

Right, here goes nothing!

WIP picture of Brother Harun of the Doom Legion Chapter, 5th Company, 6th Squad.

med_gallery_45765_9166_512292.png

Should be finished and based by tomorrow evening, if all goes well. Hopefully the weather will be good too, so I can take some better pictures.

Anyway, thanks for reading and happy new year! smile.png

EDIT: Added better picture.

Hah, thanks Darth Potato ;) And the plan is to go beyond just a stand-alone model, especially since the majority of the model is done very quickly (which has been the stalling point for many a project).

He looks great Ludo ! I would love seeing a Doom Legion force painted that nicely.

Can you show use his chapter heraldry up close ? That is a free hand right ?

Oh, and I love the green lenses thumbsup.gif

Happy New Year !

batu: Thank you, my friend :) Good to see that you're still around! Got any projects in mind? Concerning the Chapter symbol, yes it's freehand, though it's very rough so I'll try and smooth it out tomorrow before taking any pictures of it. And thanks, I'm quite happy with the lenses too!

Olisredan: Cheers! I've made myself a proper wet palette and so can get really smooth finishes with minimal fuss, which is great and so much less frustrating :) And yes, I used a black wash for the armour recesses. The bad lighting/flash/digital modifications may give the impression that I used a blue wash, but that's not the case.

The Yak: Thanks chap! There is another Doom Legion army from last year by a member called Scythas. Check it out, it's a lovely army to look at! And I wish you a good year too thumbsup.gif

deathspectersgt7: Thanks! And see below for the Chapter symbol.

forte: Cheers! And I've developed a real soft spot for the Mk6 of late, so I know how you feel.

Dange: Thanks mate, really means a lot coming from a painter like you!

batu: Care to share some hints? msn-wink.gif And yes, the fluff is rather interesting, but I haven't read the short story yet. I'll be doing so soon though!

Anyway, I've been busy today and here are the fruits of my labour!

med_gallery_45765_9166_327368.pngmed_gallery_45765_9166_412632.png

Chapter symbol close-up:

sml_gallery_45765_9166_247776.png

What's this? A base? From me? Must be the New Year! biggrin.png (still drying, looks like messed-up rice pudding... *ahem* will be painted in desert tones to contrast with the somewhat dark Space Marine standing on it)

sml_gallery_45765_9166_693508.png

And very WIP picture of the next squad mate, Brother Jahangir!

med_gallery_45765_9166_408326.png

Anyway, that's all from me for today. I should be able to finish Brother Jahangir by tomorrow evening, so keep a look-out for an update then msn-wink.gif

Thanks for looking!

Oh my. That gunmetal finish is stunning. I've always liked the look of silver marines, but what you did with it takes it to a new level. And the dark green spot, the lenses, even kill markings… I'm REALLY digging this guy. I can't wait to see him based, with some buddies. I'll be watching. 

Side note, I have a dude in almost the exact same pose as your second Mk. 6 there, pointing. I put his right arm and rifle up, though. I always think of him as the younger version of the finecast beaky Sternguard. 

No hints tongue.png

The skull looks amazing. Although I think you could do a better job on the teeth / jaw, and I'm sure you can do it msn-wink.gif

The pose of the second guy is pretty cool - I will steal that idea msn-wink.gif

Really stunning, Ludo, very smooth and clean!

What happened to your IF squad though???? Seriously, you need to figure out a Crusade badge, paint it on all of them (except the IWtongue.png ) and voila, a very cool army!thumbsup.gif

JeffTibbetts: Thank you for the kind words smile.png And yes, he does look a bit like that Sternguard model you mention. Funny how random things turn out to be subconsciously influenced by the things we have already seen.
batu: Pretty please? tongue.png And I might go back and re-do the Chapter symbol once the squad is finished, but for now it will do and I prefer not tampering with it. I'll just make sure that I'm more careful on the next one!
deathspectersgt7: Thanks and you're welcome!
Strike Captain Lysimachus: Thanks for the praise! And to be honest, I'd like to just stick to one Chapter now and then perhaps do a Crusade Company sometime in the future. Otherwise, it'll show everyone that I'm giving in to my impulsive desires to swap Chapter every few weeks sweat.gif
Grimm Blade: Thanks!
Brother Tyrax: Cheers mate, I'll try! msn-wink.gif
And now for something completely different...
med_gallery_45765_9166_1447042.png
Above, you might recognise the map found on pages 12 and 13 of the Ravenor Omnibus by Dan Anbett. It is a representation of the Scarus Sector, a small section of Segmentum Obscurus where the adventures of Inquisitor Eisenhorn and Inquisitor Ravenor unfold, drawn by the talented Ralph Horsely.

Inspired by Abnett's stories, I have started to lay down the foundationof my very own story about one of the Inquisition's agents: Inquisitor Erwen Bakar (also known as Lord Renan Taillefer). As such, I have created the Hamad Sector situated in the south of Segmentum Tempestus (north of Gryphonne IV, west of Ophelia VII, far south of the Sabbat Worlds and just to the east of the Veiled Region). This is where the story (or stories, you never know with me...) will unfold and so I thought that I'd draw up a map of the area, in a similar fashion to the map shown above. Here is the result so far, and I will be working on it some more tonight.
med_gallery_45765_9166_271584.png

This sector will also double-up as the area of the Imperium in which the armies of my gaming group will fight each other, further altering the history of the sector and creating an even richer backdrop for us to play with.

Note: I do realise that the map is still in its very early stages of creation and there's not much to show/comment upon, but I did promise an update tonight and I didn't manage to get any painting done today, so here's the impromptu stand-in.

Thanks for looking!

Archived