Librarian Dreads

Boomkapow

I seem to be doing a lot of these "unit themed posts" lately but they are giving me a better grasp on out units before I use them in games. So...are Librarian dreads ever worth it? I know they are elites and thus take up those precious elite choices. But lately I have been taking no Sang Priests so I rarely use all 3 slots. So what do you all think from using them in 6th edition? Thanks!

Many will say no due to their high points cost (175), that it has an armour value, too much competition in the Elites part of the Force Organisation chart, etc.

Personally I find it to be a niche unit that if used correctly, can be a decent support/tarpit for your force. In my opinion, they are best used with a "Heavy Mech" list to provide Shield of Sanguinius and some combat counter, or with jumpers to provide Shield of Sanguinius (keeps up with Wings of Sanguinius) and to eat Overwatch fire.

Other uses involve it arriving by Drop Pod and casting Blood Lance. From what I remember, using the BRB powers isn't really a viable choice due to it having an armour value.

I'm not too sure the expensive argument works because most people are running fragiosos with megna grapples in a pod for the exact same price tag.

That being said, I'd love to see 2 libby dreads flying with an AV13 wall each with shield so killing just one wont stop the cover saves. anyone used more than one?

I'm not too sure the expensive argument works because most people are running fragiosos with megna grapples in a pod for the exact same price tag.

The fragioso is a good shooting unit with decent CC potential, the librarian dread is bad shooting unit with mediocre CC abilitites. The only things the lib dreads are potentially good at killing are also the same units that normally will make very short work of a walker in close combat. 

175 pts without a transport is a lot to pay for that.

Archived