So I'm travelling...

Hellios

So I'm travelling again... and I need a small army. So I think I'm going to take my DW. I want to make the army as small as possible, so I want to drop everything that isn't in TD. (No LRs, DPs or Dreads). Anyway, I feel this will make DW tougher to play, and I've not played a pure TDA DW list in 6th.

I'm looking at taking 1,500-200pts with me. Ideally any lists over 1,500pts would just be adding models  to the 1,500pt with my 2,000pt list using all of my models.

So Brothers... What I want to know is your thoughts for weapon configurations for DW squads (including command squad if I take one) in a pure TDA list.

Assuming the command squad is carrying the Banner of Fortitude (because in an all-infantry Deathwing army, why wouldn't you?) you might want to consider storm shields in place of the storm bolters.

Actually it's BECAUSE my SB has the SoF that I DON'T give the storm shield.

2+ save 5++ AND Feel no pain... I mean it's enough to give resilience to your TDA...

I don't see the point of making them lose more storm bolters shots (hence attacking item) for more SS (defense items)...

Making it infantry only will make it harder but I think you'll still be able to have a fun list.

With that in mind a command squad with banner of fortitude is definitely a good idea.

I'd think about the following as a decent basis.

Belial (sword of silence and storm bolter or thunder hammer and storm shield)

Deathwing command squad, champion, banner of fortitude, cyclone missile launcher

5x Deathwing terminators with assault cannon, 1 chainfist

5x Deathwing terminators with assault cannon, 1 chainfist

5x Deathwing terminators with cyclone missile launcher, 1 chainfist

5x Deathwing terminators with heavy flamer, 1 chainfist or 5 Deathwing knights

All that comes to 1500pts and should be decent enough to work fairly well on the table. In games that small it's worth just getting as many squads as you can so min units work well. Now personally I like a librarian normally but since the command squad takes up a very large chunk of points I think he's probably going to have to wait for larger games. The strategy with the list will be to have Belial and the heavy flamer/deathwing knights Deathwing assault right into the heart of the enemy lines. The rest of the army deploys within range of the banner and walks around the table exchanging fire and either advancing or maintaining distance. Tactical terminators make for great flexibility and although storm shields make them much tougher against low AP weapons it's actually going to be massed fire that is directed at you most of the time.

For the next 500pts I'd add the librarian with a couple of nice toys (auspex and melta bombs are nice but I'm really tempted by the lion's roar and foe smiter) whichever of the squads I gave as an option (heavy flamer or knights) plus a couple of extra terminators to add to squads.

Good luck whatever you decide on.

Hmm...well, I'd take a ten man assaulty squad with two heavy flamers and belial to start.  Then take five knights.  Then naked five man tactical terminator squads until you get close to 1500 before thinking about equipment...then after equipment, extra knights.  When I do that, I come up with:

Belial

10xDWT with 3 claws, 3 hammers, a chainfist, and two heavy flamers (belial's unit) (DWA)

7xDWK with relic (DWA)

5xDWT with CML

5xDWT with CML

Comes in at 1497.  Two tactical squads provide fire support while the two fighty units DWA.

At 2000?  Drop the relic, add two more tactical squads...one with an assault cannon (DWA), and one with a plasma cannon (fire support), and one more knight.

Archived