Kill Points

Please forgive me as I am sure that this is probably addressed somewhere within the forum but my search-fu is weak. I know that the general consensus is that each squad within an IG platoon is worth a single kill point. Where is this ruling in print? I have searched the FAQs and rules and I don't see a definitive answer. One of my regular opponents is an IG player and he argues that his IG platoons count as a single kill point in similar fashion to squadrons. I, of course, disagree but I can't find any supporting evidence. Please help!

Thanks

Are you referring to the Victory Points gained in Purge the Alien missions for destroying a unit?  If so, then you can find it on pg.127 of the BRB.

"At the end of the game, each player receives 1 Victory Point for each enemy unit that has been completely destroyed.", BRB, pg.127

Since each Command Squad, Infantry squad, Heavy Weapons squad, and Special Weapons squad, and Conscript squad is a seperate unit, you will score 1 VP for each one destroyed.

Yes, that is the mission that I am referring to. It says each unit but it doesn't define what a unit is exactly. My opponent argues that since it was bought as a single Troops choice that it counts as 1 VP only when the entire platoon is destroyed. I counter that if it can claim an objective it should count as a VP. Again...it is vague. I think that there is probably a little edition crossover from previous editions as well that adds to the confusion. We have only recently started to play on a regular basis.

Thanks for the quick response!

A "unit" is defined on pg.3 of the BRB.  One of the defining criteria of a "unit" is the requirement that it maintain "unit coherency", which is itself further clarified on pg.11.  Unless he is treating all the squads in the platoon as one massive unit, he knows what a unit is and is just trying to game the system or hood-wink you.

Or is he willing to say that an honour guard squad is 0kp because it doesn't take up a foc position? Neither would any transport vehicle, neither would a combat squaded marine squad- or at least only 1 kp for both 5 man units...

in other words. a platoon command squad and 5 squads of infantry is 6 kill points, if deployed seperatly. If he joins them all together for a 50man squad, then that is 1 kill point.

If a marine squad combat squads, then they are worth 2 kill points. Same thing stands for imperial guard.

As an IG player myself, I can confirm that each squad in a platoon is counted as an individual unit once deployed or brought on from reserve. They don't have to maintain coherency with each other, or take morale checks for other squads losing members, and they are worth 1 kill point each. Sounds like your opponent has misunderstood the rule, though whether accidentally or on purpose I couldn't say!

Archived