Mk Viii errant armour torso test build

Hi this will be first post to the forum as I am a newbie here so today I'll be working on MK viii torsos. will update as I go along.

So have laid out all the spare torso fronts I had from the current tactical box and there is one clear winner for the errant armour although it is minus a gorget although there is one present on another...
1043887_621853594499032_1460458204_n.jpg

filed and sanded off the icons not Sure I am going to transfer the gorget across or just green stuff one thinking green stuff

1010047_621857481165310_736781463_n.jpg

green stuffing gorget first attempt didn't erm... work gonna be awhile before next update ...

The MK VII plastic chest you have used is good as it has the power cables over the belly encased whereas oddly the ones on the tactical squad box set MK VIII are exposed.

I have found that putting actual MK VII helmets (or any really) inside a MK VIII plastic gorget can be a little tight, with little room for positioning and also riding high with a sort of giraffe neck (as you can see). As such green stuff may look a little bit thick or actually be too thick. Now inspired I think I shall try and get plastic tube of the correct diameter/thickness and cut it in half and then use that as a base.

A FW brass etch Imperial eagle would look great on that filed chestpiece...as would a brass etch Minotaur's symbol. In fairness all sorts of brass etch would look great on there.

As an aside you seem to have edited post #2 to a full stop. And I thought I was a nutter msn-wink.gif

Could someone please put up a picture of the closest helmet to mk viii available on the tactical marine squad sprue or one from another plastic kits if there is one please.

Not sure, I'll look through the Mk VII ones tomorrow and see which fits best, both in appearance and actually fitting the head in the hole.

I think when I did one for another project (and as unpainted he will be assigned to my new project) I actually drilled out the entire whole area with a large diameter drill bit and then filled it with green stuff. That way I got the head in lower so only half or so of the grill/mouth was exposed (as it appears in the art). Had to do it on a low speed or the friction would melt the plastic ;)

You could try basing your conversion on a Grey Knight power armoured torso and backpack; they look very close to Mk8 to start with?

For the heads, you need to take a Mk7 and trim the power cables off it - the point of the collar on the Mk8 is to conceal the neck joint and the exposed helmet cables, so leaving them on the heads in your versions will only make them too big for the collars, and consequently throw the Mk8 "look" off. Good pic of Mk8 here in case you're not seen it already! ;)

And to clarify: I'm not that your efforts here are bad or anything, it's just it could save you a lot of work and wasted material! sweat.gif

As the Major said, and a good point, no exposed cables. Anywhere :)

Great idea on the Grey Knight backpacks. Just looked at a the sprue and they look very armoured/shielded and high tech. Saying that so do some of the Dark Angels ones from the Vengeance boxed set.

Love that old sketch too.

Yes I am using that sketch for reference material and the original Mk viii metal mini ,
from what I have seen of the Grey Knight plastics there is a lot of the iconography to file and sand down and they have a more medieval and Templar feel than the Japanime look of Mk viii. Where as I desire a very sleek modern looking suit.

I have heard rumors Mk viii will feature prominently in the new marine tactical sprues so might be doing this all for naught there is a very good post on here of a near true scale Mk viii (using a plastic tube collar.

will do some updates tonight smile.png

most likely going to do a Howling Griffons force mainly in night fighting livery...

also seeing a lot of fancy looking near mkviii (covered torsos) in the Eternal Crusade concept art

http://eternalcrusade.com/Content/html/concept_1.html

• 1 month later...

The Eternal Crusade guys very much look like the new sternguard 

been distracted but here is Charcaradons Devastator I built 

16275_640189752665416_991350700_n.jpg

He is meant to be looking pissed off as he has just blow apart a transport but considers it a dishonourable kill. 

Archived