Ven Dread + drop pod question

Mantras

Fellow unforgiven.

I have a quick question to ask: I have been given the FW DA Venerable Dreadnought as a birthday present, and am in the process of magnetising the various weapon arms to give me a few options.

HOWEVER, I am looking to utilise it as a naked dreadnought in my current list (MM and DCCW). The questions is, therefore, I do I paint him Deathwing Bone, or DA Green? I want to be able to use him as both ideally.

Which begs the following question : What colour do I paint his drop pod? White or Green?

(Or to save all of this, do I paint him Ravenwing black? Ha!)

All feedback appreciated!

The simplest answer is: whatever you think makes it look cooler! If anyone denied you a venerable upgrade because of the paint scheme, then they would be a prime candidate for a Dreadsocking! smile.png

Dreadsocking - classic sweat.gif

Rule of cool - as FMP says, whichever colour you want.

The other option is to go for the Vet. in DW colours and then check out the well known auction site for cheap AoBR dreads for your green force.

Mine is black ie : the former legion colour as used to be painted theTDA prior to the plain worlds incident.

2 reasons for that :

- I was tired of painting bone :D

- I find that the metal sculptures all over the sarcophagus don't really contrast on a white base.

So I've just explained this colour by the fact that the warrior has been integrated into a dread BEFORE the plain worlds but since it was not his recruiting planet and that he was really attached to the original legion color and history, he didn't change the color and just painted an arm as a tribute to two heads talking.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y50/Masteravoghai/Dark%20angels/40876867-ADB1-4B44-9F44-1F9B8BD0C0A3-21871-00001B21A6486A97.jpg

That way I can still identify the ven by saying

"Only the non green" (therefore including him)

"Only the white dreads" (to consider him as standard)

Each dreadnought has a story and the paint scheme should match that story.  Perhaps your green dreadnought was a company master before internment and still has the heraldry of the company he served with (and probably still serves with).  I always reasoned that the venerable status and rules represented an individual who has served the chapter for many years as a dreadnought and is more familiar with how to operate it.  A non-venerable dreadnought would be one that hasn't spent much time as a dreadnought and is still adjusting to his new existence.  Neither of these conditions should really have any relation to the color they are painted.

As for the drop pod, it's a chapter asset and I figure that it would be green.  The dreadnought doesn't ride in it very long.  If the Deathwing terminators rode in drop pods I would see them getting some and painting them white but otherwise I just don'e see them spending the time for one or two drop pods.

I think we can thank Stobz for that term, iirc biggrin.png

Dreadsock

transitive verb

a : to beat via the use of an old metal Dreadnought at the end of a long sock with successive blows swung around the head so as to bruise, shatter, or demolish

Dreadsock

transitive verb

a : to beat via the use of an old metal Dreadnought at the end of a long sock with successive blows swung around the head so as to bruise, shatter, or demolish

In a few years we'll see more and more comments like "metal dread? What are you talking about?"

And all those who will understand will start to feel old... :rolleyes:

My own rule is that if it isn't a suit of terminator armour it doesn't get painted Deathwing white. My Dark Angel land raiders and dreadnoughts are therefore painted green.

I agree with Cypher* that venerable status shows the experience of that particular dreadnought and is not connected to the company they currently serve with, and that Dark Angel drop pods are green apart from the burned bits.

*I'll book myself into Cell 42 later.

Cactus I agree with you on that - referencing the 'Deathwing' story text yes, where it is explicitly only TDA armour to be repainted in honour. And in fact only the same number of suits as those that were used in the purging if memory serves. Yes I know the modern visual manifestation by GW is different - and they now even declare that the 'Deathwing' story some kind of 'fable' to impress Scouts blink.png.

Anyway - as to the OP: your army, your colours yes.gif.

Cheers

I

I go with devising your own backstory for the justification of your paint scheme.  

I have the FW chaplain dread and he'll be painted black, with a bone Plasma cannon and I'm not sure what colour for his converted 'mega dreadnought sized' crozius.

To my mind, he was a Chaplain attached the to Deathwing so when interred, kept his black armour.  The Bone gives reference to his service with the First (and keeps a good visual clue to his venerable status) so I can utilise him as either a normal dready or a venerable.

But, as facmanpob says, Rule of Cool will always win out in the end :)

Don't the dreadnoughts have their own names/history, separate to the name of the occupant? It seems to me like if the dreadnought is from first company, it should be Deathwing colours. If it's from another company, it should be green (regardless of what company the occupant belongs to). In that sense, being interred in an unoccupied Deathwing dreadnought would be a serious recognition of merit, not unlike being made a member of the Deathwing proper.

The pods, on the other hand, should be green, I think, since the Deathwing generally use teleporters, and the livery of the DA fleet is green (I think pods should be considered fleet assets).

Dreadsock

transitive verb

In a few years we'll see more and more comments like "metal dread? What are you talking about?"

And all those who will understand will start to feel old... rolleyes.gif

I feel old when i say to noobs that i had bought the Rogue Trader book when it was aviable at my LGS.

Yeah it doesn't matter what color you paint them, its up to you.

Personally, if I'm going to field a Dreadnaught with The Deathwing I would like him Deathwing colors and if I field a Dreadnaught with the Greenwing I would like him to be Green. This requires multiple Dreadnaughts though and isn't really practical sweat.gif

As to the Drop Pods, all green. I already make my self follow a specific color scheme for most of the Dark Angles, so I let my self off the hook with this part teehee.gif

As everyone else has said, paint it how you want and create head-canon to back it up. Like I'm painting guys as all the different successors, but as I suck with transfers they will all continue to rock the winged sword shoulder pad. So I created head-canon that my "successors" and the Dark Angels proper are even more "sit on it" to the HLoT and more blatant with their legion-ness.

Archived