Ravenwing + Guard synergy

L30n1d4s

Many people have talked about/used the Azrael with IG blob squad for competitive play, but I think there are actually some other very strong possibilities when taking DA with IG allies.

One of the prime combinations in my mind is Ravenwing as the base force with a guard allied detachment to provide backfield objective holders, fire support, anti-flyer, and other enablers. Many synergies fall out of this easily, for example:

1 - Black Knights and IG artillery --- With Skilled Rider and Turbo-boost, Black Knights can get in the enemy face turn 1 with a strong chance of survival (even better if you have a nearby Darkshroud.... 2+ cover save FTW ;) ) . Turn 2, the Black Knights hit a selected unit with Rad grenades and then IG artillery goes to work.... against MEQs, Rad Grenades makes Collosus Mortars cause ID against T3 Marines while ignoring their armor and cover.... against T6 MCs (i.e. Tyranids), rad grenades drop them down to T5, making them go "poof" to a single unsaved wound against a Medusa or Manticore.... against T3 like cultists, eldar, IG, etc, Rad makes them T2, in turn meaning that Frag Missiles are wounding on 2+ and causing ID to them.

2 - Psyker Battle Squad and Ravenwing Land Speeders --- The PBS can drop a unit down to Ld2 relatively easily, in turn allowing the Land Speeders to dakka that target with Heavy Bolter, Missiles, Melta shots, flamers, or even assault cannons and, with even a single unsaved wound, they are almost 100% chance they will fail their morale check and fall back.

3 - Ravenwing Bikers/Banner of Devastation and Vedenttas/Melta Vets --- Ravenwing with Banner can deal with any hordes or foot slogging troops through sheer weight of fire while the Vendettas and Melta Vets deal with any vehicles or TEQs that the Ravenwing can't handle, including enemy aircraft.

4 - Sammael/Black Knights and IG Blob/Lord Commissar/Aegis Line --- Sammael and the Knights play Linebacker by shooting/intercepting assault units that the enemy sends toward your backfield while the Commie/IG Blob/Aegis line provide strong deployment zone objective holding and long range fire support with heavy weapons/Quad Gun.

Anyway, those are just a few examples, but I really think Ravenwing and IG play to each other's strengths well, with the DA 2nd Company providing exceptional mobility/firepower and countercharge capability and the IG providing heavy anti-tank, long-range fire power, and sheer bodies on the deck to hold objectives/soak up damage.

Funny enough ive been looking into guard myself. I dont think its something that is tremendously kind to your opponent and i have always had a problem with list that are just static gunlines, So i think it might be a great way to turn the tables. When you can get 10 troop units for 50-70pts, the possibilities really start to open up.

Archived