Compant Master vs I.Chaplain

marvmoogy

Hi all, 

Hoping you can help....

I've just been through my codex tallying up points costs for my HQ units.  The current meta seems to be to go for an IC as the de facto choice in a greenwing army...but why?

From what I can see, the IC is 20 points more expensive for a similar stat line (all the same apart from -1 WS).  In fact, looking through it, you're paying 20 points fro -1 WS and a Crozius.

Seeing how the company master can take Relic's (hello Monster Slayer / Mace of Redemption), why would you take a chaplain over the master?

Interested to hear your thoughts as ever, 

Well I am currently building a Spartan Chapter based on the rules of the Dark Angels. Deathwing Knights as the shield wall Phalanx formation, yes please.

Personally I much prefer the Company Master. The Chapter Relics for Dark Angels are bad ass. The Monster Slayer even though it could be grossly unreliable, it is potentially the coolest thing in the Codex!

But then I haven't actually played a game with them yet. I am currently putting the finishing touches to my first two Spartan Knights.

You're paying 20 points and -1WS for a crozius and the Zealot special rule. They have the same wargear options, including access to relics.

Not exactly. The Company Master has a greater range of options (artificer armor, storm shield, relic) but both of them can take chapter specific wargear and terminator armor. Also, the Company Master can't take a bike while the chaplain can.

The reason why most people take the int Chaplain is that he is a force multiplier due to his zealot rule. Re rolling to hits (or to wound, sorry cant recall) on the first round of combat can make a huge difference. The Company Master on the other hand, doesn't do anything for the force. He's just a beat stick with no eternal warrior that will be eaten by most other duellists.

Hope that helps!

You're paying 20 points and -1WS for a crozius and the Zealot special rule. They have the same wargear options, including access to relics.

Pretty much this. For a few points more you get a reliable reroll in melee.

Plus a IC dual wielding Maces (Crozius Arcanum and Mace of Redemption) leaves for some potentially awesome looking models teehee.gif

• 4 weeks later...

Actually...if you're only playing with one HQ character, 90% of people would go for a special character to unlock bikes or termies as troops.  The other 10% would take a prescience librarian with a PFG.  As a second character, it's generally that libby or an interrogator chappy...but almost nobody takes a chappy as their only character, and almost nobody takes a company master at all.

Archived