BA Deathstar - Usable?

Calnus

So, found myself with ~400pts free in a 2k list I was building and came up with the following:

Captain, Power Sword -115

Terminators x5, TH & SS - 225

Sanguinary Priest - 50

Comes to 390 like that, or add MB to get 400.  Looks to be a fairly efficient little deathstar, with heavy invul saves, FnP, and a combination of I5 AP3 attacks and I1 S8-9 AP 2 attacks.  And best yet, throw it in a Stormraven to demolish something turn 3+.

But I'm not seeing a lot of deathstar type units in my local meta and have never used a unit like this before.  Has anyone played this kind of unit, and do you think the above combo works pretty well as a deathstar?  And how should it be employed, in an ideal setting?

To be honest, I think its probably about the best/only use for a BA captain I can think of.  Almost purely for the I5 power sword to beat challengers in power armor.

But if you crash with a dread, the dread takes a penetrating hit (s10 against rear armor from Crash and Burn)...I'd rather have invulnerable saves. 

Sure, the priest is probably doomed, but as I believe you get to pick where wounds are allocated when your transport blows up, you can keep the wounds on that 3+ invul to minimize damage.

And I don't own any Land Raiders, instead have 2 Stormravens. 

Any experience actually fighting with or against a unit like this?

I fought with that unit minus the captain. And I must say, having a 3+ 5+ against any S7 AP 1 or 2 or less shots is pretty amazing. However, if I were to include an HQ I would probably use a Reclusiarch. Power Maul, 4++ save, and a buff to the squad when charging, AND they become fearless. The only difference between this and the captain you made is 15 points.

Archived