E_E Reboot : Dark Angels 6th Edition Works

ellis_esquire

Hi all,

Nice to be back and see a few familiar faces, as well as new ones around!

So, its been nearly a year and I felt it was time to get posting again. Some of you will recall my 5th edition angels, but i've taken some time to take stock of where my painting is at. Am I painting primarily for armies, art or competitions? This is an ongoing question for me, and sees me playing with different styles, but will post up some testers up this week and over the next few weeks for our enjoyment.

Also have been busy working on a couple of nice Dark Angel pieces for Golden Demon this year that I can't reveal yet (shock factor is worth a lot) but look out later this year. Maybe i'll get to be in white dwarf again but not a tyranid this year (see my tervigon pictured in hall of fame - ed: blatant boast :/ )

But will kick off with a couple of logos I've been working on for my avatars and commissions side. It incorporates the E_E but also DA themed:

http://s15.postimg.org/ci754911j/08499_ellis_logo_page_1.jpg

http://s21.postimg.org/esfvt9roj/08546_Ellis_with_Gothic_Watermark_page_1.jpg

So which do we prefer?

Hey there, welcome back, was a fan of your Dark Angels before I became a member on the B&C, really like the OSL effects on all your miniatures.

As for the Logo's I really like the first one as the E's give the impression of claws grasping at the sword hilt and the second one the E's don't really have the whole DA feel to them, but both are very nicely done.

Look forward to seeing your progress in the future.

DR

• 1 month later...

E_E, everything is still looking great! Like all the details you've painted, but the one thing I'm really interested in: the feather on the left shoulder, is that part of something, is it a bit or did you make that? You do still have a little attachment nub right on the bottom of the right foot, but that's super-minor. I really love the way you did the power effect on the storm shield coming out from under the boss! That's awesome, and I will definitely be looking at making a similar (but with power bolts, not the nice OSL you have) pattern, because it looks very nice and makes a lot of sense for the field to be projected from there.

Awesome work, let's see some more. Eyeballs are greedy!

• 2 months later...

@Primacy - a few years no.

@Bryan - Thanks man!  Yes i always struggle with Storm shields as they create an invulnerable bubble.  How do you paint that?  Keep tuned ive got some great ideas!  The feather is from the Goblin Spiders in fantasy range.

Well finally got round to picturing my Deathwing Finalist at Golden Demon this year.

http://imageshack.us/a/img28/6114/qa88.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img577/521/2czs.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img855/2319/3jg2.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img41/9503/m8ss.jpg

Enjoy!

Absolutely stunning work on the land raider I must say. :)

E_E, I am not a great fan of the enhanced lighting effect that you and a number of ther hugely talented painters appear to favour. I am referring to the effect on the lenses of helmets etc. Mainly from a realism pont of view, that degree of luminescence would be a massive tactical disadvantage to the battle brothers. I know it's hard to balance realism with the ability to effectively demonstrate that luminescence but I would rather not see such glare from the amrine lenses.

I think the power weapon efect on the thunderhammer also should be tones down a little.

On the land raider it's an entirely diferent story. This is the first time I've seen anyone reflect the front lights on to the tracks so effectively. The luminescence emanating from the inside of the raider on to the ramps is quite eerie and wonderful. Same for the lascannon coils but the vision slits on the cupolas should e muted ... again from atacticla point of view.

I think the impact of the lighting effects on the tank would be emphasized to a far rgeater degree of the marines lens', the cupola reflections and the power weapons were muted.

The free hand of course is in an entirely different league. Just fantastic.

Don't take my coments personally, especially from someon who couldn't  paint at 10% of your level even to save my life.... It's just a personal opinion.

A pity you couldn't enter this in the Currus Belli competition... well, there's still time..you can paint up another land raider!! :)

SG

Wow...As much as I am drooling, I think perhaps the source lighting is a bit overdone.  Not that any given example of it is less than perfect, it's just that there's so much of it that it's distracting.  But the murals on the side of the land raider...are enough to make angels weep tears of joy! 

Hey guys thanks for the responses - can always trust my battle brothers to keep me on my toes.  I hear what everyone's saying about my OSL - it is not quite so bright in real life lol.  I guess that's why I didn't get a demon for this but then its hard to compete with things in vehicle like Contemptors who have more 'character' and opposability (real word?) than a tank you know?

I hear you ont he tone down Shadow guard - great crits my man - I got confused about the whole currus belli challenge - ill have a look at that because i'm half way through a razorback.

Yes Tanhausen a LOT longer than an hour lol - but its my passion so hey.  Expect to see a LOT more Dark Angel freehanding coming up as its really my strong suit i'm starting to think.  Really getting into conversion options in the DV box set at the moment so that might be up soon!

Archived