Starting My Dark Angels

Aothaine

Hi everyone,

So, after several years of trying to decide on what army I should play and the inability to afford an army, I am not ready to jump head long into WH40K again. I have put it into phases...

Phase 1: 2500 points of Deathwing - I plan I starting out with 1000 points of Deathwing and adding two TDA squads at a time. I will be using magnets on the arms so I can mix and match between DWTSs and DWKs and special weapons. This phase will take me about 7-10 months to purchase, paint and get on the table. 

Phase 2: 2500 points of Ravenwing - details to come later.

Phase 3: 2500 points of Greenwing - details to come later. I am thinking about making Third Company.

The painting designs I plan on using are in the follow videos.... I will be using air brushing and brush painting methods to get the colors I want.... but the tutorial in the following video is how I plan on doing most of the work so far... The sword in the following video looks amazing!

I plan on on adding glow effects using the method found at the end of this video...

Phase 1 Initial Breakdown...

$99.00 I plan on getting Dark Vengence, selling the chaos models.

$120.00 Deathwing Command Squad x 2

These three purchases should be very close to 1000 points with just the Terminators.

I'll be checking on Ebay and local interest in purchasing the Dark Angel models from other Dark Vengence Boxes to get a good number of models on the cheap. I need to make sure that I have enough extra bits from the Command Squad boxes so that I can make any modifications to the DV Terminators if needed.

I still need to figure out the load out of the DWT squads though... Since the CML cannot get flak is it better just to grab assault cannons and heavy flamers? 

My main goal here is to make my first army small model count and somewhat sustainable. 

Anyway, this is the goal so far.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Aothaine

Edit: Does anyone think that the turquoise eyes and glow will look bad on the bone colored armor? Will it clash with general plasma color or maybe to much of that color with the plasma cannon glow? If the color for the eyes wont work, what colors would you suggest?

Welcome on board!

Some quick thoughts:

- Planning on a 7-10 month frame seems quite a feat to me. Unless you're a strongly self-motivated person, I suggest just painting a model at a time. Churning through squads is quite soul breaking...

- The vids you linked are obviously of a good quality (way better than myself...but that's easy to do hehe). Don't know how adept you're at painting, but again: do a test model, give it a good shot...and once you're sold on the what and the how, its MUCH MUCH MUCH easier to replicate.

- CML or assault cannon...they have very different roles. One allows you to reach at 48" with a decent pew pew while the other puts even more pressurein the 24" radius (which works well with your bolters). I suggest you magnetize as you very well plan on doing :)

Hope it helps!

The 7-10 month time frame is mainly the financial burden. All in all, 3500 points of Deathwing will consist of 4 DW Land Raiders, 3 DWTS maxed at 10 man, 1 DWK squad at 10 men and Belial with a command squad. This is just a quick run down of the math... as I only want about 2500 points I will most likely drop the numbers in the DWTS down a bit and or even only have two squads... still not entirely sure.

I did the math, the first model will take me about a week to paint. After that I will go into chain painting and I should be able to finish the first 1000pts minus Belial in three weeks. After that it will be much much quicker. Luckily Deathwing is quite easy to paint.

You seem to have a pretty strong idea :)

My only warning: painted armies are for a while...enjoy the process if possible.

Said by someone who has pulled all-nighters in order to have a few models painted for a GT...

Have fun painting :)

- Planning on a 7-10 month frame seems quite a feat to me. Unless you're a strongly self-motivated person, I suggest just painting a model at a time. Churning through squads is quite soul breaking...

That must make me weird msn-wink.gif I've got a spreadsheet with all of my painting planned out for the next 18 months.... although I reserve the right to swap the order round if I feel like it. I've been running the spreadsheet since December 2012 and have stuck to it quite well so far....

@Aothaine - the good thing about Deathwing with magnetised arms is that you can build them, spray prime them and then play with them while they are being painted. Its not like there will be fiddly bits which won't be accessible if you fully build them. The only other piece of advice is not to buy too much in one go, or you'll end up like me with 18 month's worth of painting to do! biggrin.png

@facmanpob

I guess its a bit of tournament 3 colours mandatory army burnout...when you have 20+ terminators lined up and 1 week to go it ain't fun.

So now I just paint for the hell of it...and I'm learning to enjoy my humble efforts.

*** refuses to look at the boxes and storage drawers packed with sprues ***

@facmanpob

I guess its a bit of tournament 3 colours mandatory army burnout...when you have 20+ terminators lined up and 1 week to go it ain't fun.

So now I just paint for the hell of it...and I'm learning to enjoy my humble efforts.

*** refuses to look at the boxes and storage drawers packed with sprues ***

Don't want to hijack the thread but it was looking at the boxes and storage drawers that forced me to make the spreadsheet.....its my way of tracking progress and keeping me motivated outside of contests like the ETL and PtR. But yeah, getting backed into a corner and having externally imposed painting deadlines is no fun smile.png

Your fine. The thread was mainly to state my intentions and get some advice. With the painting methods I have listed above, painting these guys wont take to long. And chain painting them means that most of the first 1000 points, which is 15 terminators, will be at the same stage in the painting process.

Hi there,

I consider myself somewhat of a speed painted.  I won't ever claim that my work is professional quality, but I can easily put the brush down.  

If I wanted to push myself, I could probably paint 40 Terminators in 7 days, but that would be a MAJOR push for me.  20 in a week is a pretty easy feat if I'm in the mood.  My methods are pretty standard.

1) Music, or something else to listen to.  I also enjoy doing this with Movies, as it gives me something give the eyes a break every now and again.

2) Assembly line painting.  I go through and do all of one color that I need to before I move onto the next one.  I generally go with the rule of "largest surface area first" and the base color gets slopped on, as I can cover up the bad spots with other colors down the road.

3) Brushes of the right size.  Nothing is worse than trying to paint small details with large brushes.  This will make you want to tear your eyes out.  

I am also a firm believer that a good primer makes all the difference in how well your paint will stay on the model.  I personally use Krylon primer.  I know some don't like it, but I don't have chipped models or the like.  Just throwing it out there.  

I've painted something along the lines of 8,000 points of Deathwing, with about 5,000 of that being in the last few months.  I will continue down that path until I have the full first company + support.  I really like my Terminators.  

Hope they turn out well for you.  Get some pictures going, as I'm sure that we'd love to see them.

Best,

Paul

@JeffJedi - Don't want to split my money up that much as most games at my LGS are 1800+ points. Also, I want to stick with the low model count army for a bit.

@Pbenner - Assembly line painting is what I meant by chain painting. ^_^ It will be fairly easy to accomplish and I should have my Dark Vengence box in the next couple of weeks. I'll be sure to toss up some photos to show my progress.

Archived