Dark Angels Successor Ideas

Runebeard

Hi guys!

Having been out of the hobby for a few years, I've had a renewed urge to return having read my way through many of the Horus Heresy novels recently.

Currently in the planning stages, I've decided to return to space marines and the knightly stature of the Dark Angels, but as I'm not completely sold on the standard colour scheme, I thought a successor chapter may serve me well.

Here's my current colour scheme ideas (having narrowed it down from about 8!!!):

sm.php?b62c=@hIAEG_hyvFn.hYbiB@@@@@@@hGxVO@_@@..@@@@@@@@@@@.haLvy.haLvy@@@@@@@@@@__@@@@@@@@@@@@@_iakk7&

sm.php?b62c=@hd3IG_hyvFn.hYbiB@@@@@@@hXbsb@_@@..@@@@@@@@@@@.haLvy.haLvy@@@@@@@@@@__@@@@@@@@@@@@@_iakk7&

sm.php?b62c=@iakk7_hyvFn.i8khi@@@@@@@hXbsb@_@@..@@@@@@@@@@@.hzOfe.hzOfe@@@@@@@@@@__@@@@@@@@@@@@@_@&

These are very open to changes by the way, so don't feel bad about criticism - every little helps!

I await your comments with baited breath.

EDIT: Meant to say I'm also open to ideas regarding the name, though I'm looking at a name involving either Knights/Angels or some other symbolism of them anyway.

Im fan of #1 and #2, altough I would prefer to see the shoulder edge trim in the colour of the shoulder pad instead of white. And maybe paint the hand in black as well so you could com up with a cool repentance story connected to that ritual. Good luck! 

For me, Number 1, I instantly say Blood Angles. Could be different when you actually paint them, but with limited ability with paint program, screams BA for me. 

Number 2, I thought NO WAY, then kept an open mind because of limited ability of paint program, and thought, well maybe, if a bit more  dark "greener".

Number 3 I thought of Grey Knights at first glance, but then thought, this can be a unique DA successor. Like an "Elite" version of DA. Just the purple has to go, it looks to "royal" or "Kingly" and not very DAish. 

Maybe if you have some fluff to go with this, it might help out. 

I am big fan of number 2 out of the 3. 3 looks too much like an emperors children successor and 1 is very blood angel like.

I am currently working on a DA successor and I am using a little bit of creativity with it. I am rocking bronze and gold and I am going for a Spartan theme. Knights wield spears and massive Spartan shield looks incredibly cool.

If you went for the second one you could rock an epic theme for them based on the plane they are from. For example being that kind of blue you could have them based on an Aztec theme perhaps...

The first one was meant to be mechrite red to make it that bit darker but it doesn't come across in the painter.

I liked the 2nd one initially, but I think im starting to go off it a little.

With regards to the 3rd, I've swapped out the purple for some other options for your perusal:

sm.php?b62c=@iakk7_hyvFn.i8khi@@@@@@@hXbsb@_@@..@@@@@@@@@@@.hcLAt.hcLAt@@@@@@@@@@__@@@@@@@@@@@@@_@&

sm.php?b62c=@iakk7_hyvFn.i8khi@@@@@@@hXbsb@_@@..@@@@@@@@@@@.hcXvU.hcXvU@@@@@@@@@@__@@@@@@@@@@@@@_@&

sm.php?b62c=@iakk7_hyvFn.i8khi@@@@@@@hXbsb@_@@..@@@@@@@@@@@.hIAEG.hIAEG@@@@@@@@@@__@@@@@@@@@@@@@_@&

Still very open to suggestions at this stage.

Also, I was thinking of playing on the 'lion' theme of Johnson and name them the "Pride" of the Emperor, with lion themed heraldry. Let me know what you think.

Cheers for all the input so far.

The first option looks Great. Looks like a really fresh design. I really like the idea of pursuing the Lion theme.

http://sciborminiatures.com/en_,shop.php?art=1289#i/conversion_parts_2012/big/lion_shields__01.jpg

This a great website for getting themed shield and items to tack onto Terminators etc. These ones are very much Lion themed.

I think you are really onto a winner with these. Will there be a WIP thread?

Edit -  Also where are the templates for the Space Marines from?

Of the second batch of pics, I like the first one the best. Test it on a SM and see how it comes out. Sometimes what looks good on a painter doesn't come out good when painted. 

See how it goes, and see if you enjoy painting that way. 

Archived