Beyond the Emperor's Light - a Deathwatch log

Hello all,

Following a post in Amicus, where I received help above and beyond what I'd hoped for from the esteemed brethren of the B&C, this is the beginning of a brief - but hopefully rewarding - log chronicling the assembly of my Deathwatch Kill-team, for use in a Killteam league at my local FLGS. This squad will eventually fill a role in my C:SM army when the new 'dex lands as well, so whilst the Kill-team for Killteam (heh) will run only seven members strong, the whole squad will be a full 10-man unit. I'll be posting each member of the squad as I finish painting them.

Therefore, without further ado, the first member of Kill-team Prosecutor...

++++++++

Watch-Captain Luko Deblehev, Sons of Dorn

The banners hanging from the walls of the Solar Hammer's chapel rustled gently as an artificial breeze passed through the room, the oxy-cyc system maintaining the chapel's temperature at a level low enough to protect the holy texts within the chapel's scriptorum from the ravages of aging. The chronometer in the eastern antechamber slowly ticked towards the fourth hour of the morning, when the strike cruiser's transhuman passengers would assemble in the chapel for dawn prayer before the commencement of morning firing rites.
One of the cruiser's inhabitants had risen early, however. Beneath the chapel's central ciborium, Luko Deblehev knelt before an altar to the God-Emperor of Mankind, making his morning prayers in silence. The stone statue decorating the altar loomed over him, a representation of the Emperor in ornate, rune-embossed armour, a single hand held upwards in a benevolent gesture. It had been carved by stonemasons a thousand light-years away, said to have been hewn from stone drawn from Holy Terra blessed by the Ecclesiarch himself.

The truth of this mattered not to Deblehev, who rose from his kneeling position as he completed his prayers. The statue had been fashioned by artisans for a purpose; it was a means to an end, a tool to be used for worship and nothing more. It was not the craftsmanship which had gone into the statue's fashioning which gave it worth; it was the manner in which it served the purpose of its creator, and in this respect, Deblehev thought, the inanimate object before him was not unlike himself. Purpose was what gave him worth; purpose as a means to an end, as a tool of the Emperor's great design, to serve the Imperium and to carry His light into the darkest corners of the universe.

Pain streaked down the left side of his abdomen, shaking him out of his contemplations. Where the broad lateral muscle of his back met his abdomen, pain flared; the blow dealt to him a week prior by the Ork shaman had been a powerful one, slowing him momentarily as he sought to slay the alien monstrosity. Deblehev could still feel the Ork's death throes, if he closed his eyes for a but a moment - it had struggled fiercely, clawing at him with its taloned paws, its desperate grunts growing in strength and urgency as the alien's throat was crushed in the Marine's grip, before ceasing abruptly as the vertebrae popped and snapped.

A klaxon echoed somewhere in the depths of the Solar Hammer and again Deblehev snapped out of his reverie. He knew he would be joined soon by the other members of his squad. A data-slate at his side bore their names and service records, although he had no need of reminding himself, having personally selected them from the service roster as soon as the communiqué from Talasa Prime had arrived. Tormor Baatar of the Rampagers, with whom he had served previously under Watch-Captain Arkhan; Eshan Taelok of the Mortifactors; Belzen Surt of the Sentinels - an unknown quantity, although his service record was exemplary; Untol Barak of the Lamenters; Ulic Karadon of the Raptors, ashen-skinned and sable-eyed; and Caelius Sulla of the Invectors, the sole survivor of Watch-Captain Marduk's ill-fated mission into the Ghoul Stars.

This mission would be a challenge. Of the assembled Marines, only two excluding himself had journeyed beyond the edges of Imperial space previously, Sulla and Baatar. What awaited them in the Traverse, in battle against the recently discovered xenomorphs nicknamed 'Wendigo' by the Traverse's inhabitants, Deblehev could not guess. Their first deployment was to the fortress-world of Madrigal at the Traverse's heart, manned by a Chapter of the Adeptus Astartes Deblehev had only encountered once before. From there they would take the Solar Hammer into the depths of deep space, hunting for the homeworld of the alien beasts plaguing the sector, assessing the aliens' strength in warfare for the Imperium to determine the strength of the countermeasures it would employ. As the doors at the far end of the chapel irised open and the first of Kill-team Prosecutor entered, Taelok's broad shoulders filling the portal, Deblehev knew that the mission ahead would require the utmost of him, both as a Space Marine and as a Captain of the Deathwatch. The horrors of dark space beyond the Imperium's borders, where even the Emperor's light could not reach, could unman even a member of the Adeptus Astartes; Deblehev had seen it before, many years ago. As his squad assembled in a semicircle around him, Deblehev swore to himself that whatever terrors might come to pass, whatever indescribable evil and aberration lurked in the stars beyond the Traverse, he would not be found wanting.

http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj598/Mjolnir771/P1010602_zpsbc4919cf.jpg

http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj598/Mjolnir771/P1010539_zps7d2fa843.jpg

http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj598/Mjolnir771/P1010540_zps853f3d29.jpg

Battle-Brother Tormor Baatar, Rampagers

The sweat trickled down the back of Tormor Baatar's neck, the cooling systems in his power armour having failed hours ago. The heat of the tunnels through which he now stalked would have been unbearable to a lesser man, but Baatar's transhuman genetics - and the scent of alien blood which tickled tantalisingly at his nostrils - drove him onwards. For seven days they had stalked the Barghest through the tunnels of this waste removal system. Watch-Captain Sulak had been the first to die, caught by the Barghest when the plating beneath him had collapsed and sent his power armoured form tumbling into the thing's lair. They'd found his helmet, blood and spinal fluids spattering the inside, but nothing else. The damned thing was huge, and fast too, much faster than any one of them. The Deathwatch kill-team sent to this world to hunt down the beast now numbered four; Baatar, Mugasi of the White Scars, Terredon of the Night Watch and Vostak of the Star Phantoms. Vostak had seen the beast last, two hours ago, in the drainage systems a kilometre behind them. He'd emptied dragonfire rounds into the ducts where it was hiding, staining the pipes with its blood, but it had escaped, barrelling into Terredon and escaping through the maintenance shafts. The tunnels here stretched on for hundreds of kilometres, pumping away the waste and refuse of the swarming hive city above. How the Imperial Governor had managed to acquire one of these beasts as a gladatorial pet was anyone's guess; the Inquisitorial agent embedded within the Governor's retinue had been right to send the priority alert to Talasa Prime, but by the time the Deathwatch had arrived the xenotic horror had already escaped and slaughtered hundreds. Baatar had never seen violence like this before. Individually, even the Genestealer xenotypes of the Tyranids paled next to the sheer destruction and brutality a Barghest could inflict.

Mugasi's auspex beeped, the gushing roar of the wastage system around them almost swallowing the sound entirely. It had detected movement that did not match the squad's AFF signatures. Baatar slowed his pace, scanning the pipes to either side for openings through which the beast could emerge. Mugasi depressed a switch on his bolter and the shot-selector rotated the drum magazine to a red-cased clip - Hellfire rounds.

'Fifty metres northeast, bearing south-southeast. Gone again.' murmured Mugasi. Baatar nodded. It would be in the tunnel system running adjacent to theirs, through which Vostak and Terredon were making their way. Baatar switched the vox-bead in his helmet over to the squad level frequency.

'Vostak, come in. Contact at your twelve and closing, auspex reading patchy. Moving to flank. Engage at will.

'Acknowledged. Be advised, switching to Hellfire.'

Baatar motioned to Mugasi and the pair moved on again. Hellfire rounds, whilst giving them the best shot they had at hurting the Barghest at range, could detonate over a wide area and the phosphorous materials within each round could easily cause collateral damage at close range.

The auspex beeped once more, louder and higher-pitched.

'Thirty metres northeast, bearing west - '

Beep-beep.

'Twenty, closing!'

No more words were necessary as the two Marines scattered, moving to opposite sides of the tunnel and crouching. The blood pounded in Baatar's veins; vengeance for Sulak was near, the beast's scalp would adorn his armour before long.

Suddenly, the vox-net erupted with the roar of bolter fire. Baatar heard Terredon shout an oath, and the noise of the Barghest screeching filled the vox. Before he could react, the wall to his right next to Mugasi exploded, pipes and sewage valves bursting outward as a huge, red-eyed form tore through the wall itself. Mugasi fell and turned as he did so, his bolter already spitting acidic death at the Barghest as it ripped through the partition wall, scoring great wounds across its chest. The beast roared so loud the noise dampeners within Baatar's helmet buzzed with static. Baatar had one brief vision of the beast standing at its full height, towering over the Marine beneath, its torso and limbs horrifyingly powerful, veins seeming to burst from beneath its skin, beating with the rage of the beast itself.

Then it killed Mugasi. It slashed the bolter from his hands, and pistoned a huge leg through his gut, ramming through the soft abdominal armour and out the other side, shattering power armour as it went. A throttled scream of agony left Mugasi's lips before the beast reached down and tore his head from his shoulders as if it were nothing. Before Baatar had even had time to react, Mugasi's head flew past him, staining his visor with arterial blood.

Baatar reacted without thinking. His bolter was raised, pointing at the beast's head. Hellfire rounds erupted from its muzzle and obliterated the Barghest's head in a staccato volley of death, the alien's skull melting away beneath the flesh-eating acids within the bolt shells. He worked his bolter up and down the beast's body, the explosive rounds ripping through flesh and bone, limbs and internal organs flying outwards in a haze of pink mist.

The bolter clicked empty. Baatar switched the clip over to Kraken penetrator rounds, stalking forward to see if the beast still lived. It did not. Nothing in that bundle of gore and viscera could be called alive. Beneath him, Mugasi's corpse lay, his blood intermingling with that of the Barghest's. Ahead, he saw armoured shapes moving behind the wreckage of the hole torn in the tunnel wall. Vostak emerged from the shadow, supporting Terredon, whose right arm had been torn away at the elbow joint and had suffered huge rending wounds to his leg. The Star Phantom looked down to the pile of steaming flesh that had been the Bargehst, and nodded to Baatar.

'Good work. A shame about Mugasi.'

Baatar did not respond. He looked down to his fallen brother's corpse, and a sudden surge of rage washed over him as he saw the beast's blood staining the exposed flesh of his kinsman. He would not suffer an alien's impure blood to stain the death-place of a battle-brother. Baatar stooped low and pulled out the headless corpse of Mugasi, dipping his fingers into the blood still spurting from the fallen Marine's neck. He made two streaks on his own shoulderpad, where the chapter symbol of the Rampagers still shone through the filth of the sewage system. The rite was simple; thus stained with his brother's blood, his armour would forever more house a part of Mugasi's spirit. Though the White Scar would return in death to the valleys of Chogoris, through Baatar's armour his spirit would reside in this world too, free to live vicariously from the joys of the hunt as Baatar slew the enemies of the Khan and the Emperor wherever they lurked amidst the stars.

'Farewell, kinsman,' whispered Baatar. 'The hunt shall continue.'

http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj598/Mjolnir771/P1010594_zpsf03e84f6.jpg

http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj598/Mjolnir771/P1010591_zps69614c21.jpg

http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj598/Mjolnir771/P1010592_zps44e1c162.jpg

And finally a little teaser for the next guy. May The Yak's beard grow and his wit never fade - he saw fit to bless Kill-team Prosecutor with a pair of transfers bearing markings of the Raptors, facilitating the recruitment of Battle-brother Ulic Karadon, the Kill-team's dedicated sniper.

The vessel bearing the said transfers was a little strange though - seems to be a card representing a Xenos beast of unknown classification... ;)

http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj598/Mjolnir771/P1010580_zps01540c77.jpg

Battle-Brother Ulic Karadon, Raptors

Karadon adjusted the scope on his bolter, increasing the magnification incrementally as the Tau convoy passed through the street below. He would have one chance to make this shot count. He crouched in the ruins of the old belltower of the city's Ecclesiarchy cathedral, a once-great bastion of the Imperial creed, now little more than a ruin. The speed with which the Tau had struck this world, and this city in particular, had bypassed the meagre defence offered by the planet's defence forces. The Deathwatch were here ostensibly to fight a delaying action by any means they could whilst Segmentum Command organised a relief fleet, but Karadon knew that the real reason behind the Kill-team's rapid deployment to the besieged world was to effect an abduction. The scattered planetary defence forces had left little in the way of useful intelligence, but if the PDF's commanders were to be believed there was one of the mysterious Ethereal caste leading the assault. Watch-Captain Deblehev had identified the Ethereal's likely position as being within the main Tau battlegroup pushing deeper into the fallen city, pressing on the Imperial Governor's palace and the beleaguered defenders entrenched around it. Those men would die, Karadon knew, going to their graves whilst their Governor threw the remainder of his forces into the meat grinder around the Palace, hoping to buy time for the relief fleet to arrive.

That it would not arrive in time was not something Deblehev had chosen to share with the Governor, nor did Karadon see the wisdom in doing so; if the Governor's sacrifice bought time for the Deathwatch to take hostage one of the Tau Ethereals, the knowledge gained from the interrogation and dissection of the alien leader might save countless more lives in engagements with the Tau across the Segmentum.

As the last Hammerhead passed beneath his position barely twenty metres below, Karadon checked his squadmates' positions on the HUD within his helm. The rest of the squad had taken up flanking positions in the bottom floors of the guard towers either side of the street, ready to detonate the bangalore torpedo traps set by Karadon hours earlier. They had been lucky indeed that the Tau had chosen to pass this way; their Pathfinder scouts had passed within metres of his traps, but they had not discovered them. They made good trackers, but they were no match for a Raptor's fieldwork, and for their incompetence their comrades would pay the price.
Now the first Devilfish passed down the street, clearing the first intersection, approaching the second where Karadon's traps - and the rest of the Kill-team - awaited. Karadon had seconds to determine whether this was the vehicle bearing the Ethereal. The markings on its sides corresponded with those Karadon had studied prior to the mission, and designated it as a transport for their Fire Caste soldiers. Unimportant. Not his target.

Two more passed before the fourth Devilfish entered the street - and from the first second its garish markings appeared in his telescopic sights, Karadon knew it was the one. He clicked his vox-bead twice, indicating his squad-brothers to prepare. The markings on this one were unlike any he'd seen previously - it had to be the leader's transport. Not daring to risk open vox communication in such close proximity to the enemy, he put his faith in the plan he and Deblehev had concocted- the bangalore torpedos would immobilise the Devilfish, Baatar and Taelok would breach the transport and secure the target, whilst Sulla, Israfel and Surt would hold the foe off long enough to retreat into the sewers.

The vox-bead popped once. The rest of the squad was ready. Karadon flicked open the detonator and held his thumb over the button, counting down the seconds until the Ethereal's Devilfish passed exactly between the twin torpedo traps. Three...two...

One.

http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj598/Mjolnir771/P1010581_zps21365b12.jpg

http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj598/Mjolnir771/P1010586_zpsa39fc8f7.jpg

http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj598/Mjolnir771/P1010584_zpsa796b2ba.jpg

http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj598/Mjolnir771/P1010583_zpsac56a5c0.jpg

The old Rogue Trader ones I have (from a long gone Land Raider) face left like that one smile.png Nice models happy.png

Oh boy, very awesome!

Surt looks like a full badass alright. You are doing my Sentinels a great justice! One tiny nitpick: could you put the dagger in the other direction? I reckon he's much more likely to grab it with his left hand than his right (since his right should be going for the pistol if it's not holding the heavy flamer!).

But seriously, he's awesome. Thanks heaps!

Where are Surt's and Ullic's legs from?

Haha I knew you were going to say that. I did try to reposition the knife but it actually didn't fit on - I'll try and move some of the gear around tomorrow as it's bugging me too, heh.

Thanks for the feedback dude! smile.png

edit: Some other thoughts I've had about Sulla - thinking of adding a couple of severed heads to his belt as the Invectors have a habit of taking trophies. Other ideas for personalisation welcome though - their no-bull:cuss tendency is tricky to represent in paraphernalia without going overboard in decorations.

Archived