Modifying Bases & Stands

A quick question (well, questions) in light of the whole "use the bases the models are supplied with" thing.

Would it be against the rules to shorten the stand on a flying base? What about cases where the vehicle is supplied with 2 different bases or even stands? Could, say, a Land Speeder be mounted on the smaller of the two stands? Could I cut down the lenght of the stand? What about the flying stand for a flyer? Could I shorten it or make it longer?

Lastly, what about using the smaller flying base stands for Assault Marines or such? Would that be OK with the rules?

Please assume a rather strict interpretation of the rules, as can be found in tournaments. I know there's always "talk it over with your opponent", but I prefer solid ground to stand on, as it were.

I think that it depends on what sort of games you are playing.

If they're predominantly friendly ones with your mates, then I doubt it matters at all what you do with regards to the height of your flying/skimming stands.

If it's comp then that's different and I would expect that people would be less inclined to allow variation.

The simple fact is that there are advantages and disadvantages to increasing/decreasing the height of your models, and most of them revolve around line of sight.  (lower = easier to hide but can see less in return and vice-versa)

With skimmers I personally choose to use a dreadnought size base (60mm) and put the shorter of the two stands on it because it makes it easier to construct a nice looking base and the model ends up more stable.

With flyers, I would imagine some comp. players will kick up a fuss if you don't use the base as it comes, but if you've checked with the TO and it's allowed, nobody can legally complain.

With regards to your Assault Marine question, using the base of the flying stand may be problematic as it is slightly larger than a normal 25mm infantry base.  However, as they're primarily a melee unit, I see no problem with using the shaft of the stand on a 25mm base to make them look like they're in mid air.

As with so many modelling decisions, it depends on what you intend to use the model(s) for.

But it boils down to:

- Height - as there are advantages and disadvantages to being either lower or higher and these arguably cancel themselves out, most people are unlikely to have a significant problem with varied height, so long as they are aware of how true line of sight works.

- Width/Length - a model is supposed to be put on the size base the model comes with - 25mm for a Marine, 40mm for a Terminator etc. - Now I personally put all my Iron Warrior Infantry Characters on 40mm bases regardless of what armour they wear so they stand out from their minions, but aside from those singular models everything is on the correct size base.  My rule-of-thumb is - a few exceptions are OK, en-masse isn't, as it represents intentional modelling for advantage (greater spread of models to reduce the impact of blast/template weapons etc.).  Now I've never had anyone complain about this, so most people I've encountered seem to agree that it's a fair rule-of-thumb.

- - - - -

As a point of note, there is nothing stopping you having a scenic base for friendly play and display purposes and buying a second base to keep standard for comp play.

My interpretation of the rules (and this may be from 5th edition so I might be wrong), was that models were always supposed to be played on the bases they came with. So in the case of most flyers, they have just one base they come with, and that must be used (without modification). As for the things like speeders that come with two different sizes, then in my mind you get to pick one of those two to use. Obviously adding detail/decoration to bases is allowed, but modifications to the pins and things would not.

Now on the other hand, I never play tournament games, just fun games with friends. So rules on bases are pretty much ignored. I'm fine with someone using whatever they have available. We've even had times where people have used GI Joe models for units (infantry, tanks, etc).

Long story short, for strict tournaments, consult with the TOs, but I'd recommend just using the given bases without modification just to be safe. For friendly games, do whatever is ok with the people you're playing with. And as Dam13n said above, there's nothing stopping you from having two bases for each situation.

I would say, it's modeling for advantage.  With Flyers, even though you ignore the base, you still cannot stop your flyer within 1" of enemy models.  So a smaller flyer base would allow you to get your flyers in spaces most other players could not.

The height of the flyer determines Line of Sight.  While technically this is still modeling for advantage, you also suffer an equal drawback.  So a taller flyer would be able to see and shoot more, but be able to be seen and shot easier.  Vice versa for a shorter stand.  You'll limit your own LoS as much as your opponents.

It is more significant for flyers because of the gun angling for targetting rules. A flyer modelled skimming along the ground can shoot at targets straight in front of it that one flyiong high up would find impossible (due to the 45 degree rule).

Games workshops official stance has been for a while now 'put it on the base it came with'. I usually agree.

Some people interpret this, erroneously in my opinion, to mean you need to have the base the current model is sold with.

As for flying bases for assault marines or tau suits- Ive not seen the base used, just the stand. I wouldnt be upset about it though, and I doubt many others would.

Thanks for the feedback, I got more or less the answer I expected. Good to know I wasn't too far wrong then.

It is more significant for flyers because of the gun angling for targetting rules. A flyer modelled skimming along the ground can shoot at targets straight in front of it that one flyiong high up would find impossible (due to the 45 degree rule).

This is indeed the primary reason I ask.

The thing is, the way flying stands are used in conjunction with a flyer means its easy as pie to just shift the model on its base slightly as you move and change the angle- theres nothing that keeps you from firing at anything within an inch of your base.

Right. Up and down angle I wouldn't stress about too much. Pivoting left or right on the stand would be stretching the intended rules a bit.

So, pitch isn't an issue, but yaw is objectionable? What about roll?
You can roll a little on the stand, you cant change yaw without moving the stand itself.

Archived