Some questions regarding potential Dark Angels

Brother Dimetrius

Greetings Brothers.

I might be doing something with the 1st legion in the future, when I have time (which will be sometime in 2016 by the looks of it...). But since planning is half the fun I reckoned I might fire some questions your way.

1) I might be interested in doing something with a demi-company in the 1500-1850 range. Nice & fluffy and the cheapness of the basic Marine in the dex might make this possible. This means 3 full tac squads, an assault squad and a devastator squad + command & support. Is there anyone here who has gone this route and has experience to share?

2) I have the Dark Vengeance box, and while nice the basic marines are a bit, well, boring. How do they mix & match with the dedicated tactical box? I'm aware that a new one is coming but the principle remains the same.

Thanks in advance!

I played a 1850 point battle using a lot of marines and the dakka banner.  It's a bit 'cheap' but works really well.  With careful positioning, you can have circa 30 bolters (3x tacticals & command squad) firing at salvo 2/4.  When you have Blood Angels charging into 120 shots, you're bound to roll some 6's and hey presto, no more death company!  If memory serves, I took a 5 man dev squad and a couple of Razorbacks which worked well.

The thing with our codex is we have some awesome units in the Ravenwing & Deathwing.  Maybe an expansion down the line some, but DWKs are immense (especially with a mace-wielding IC with the Zealot rule)!

1) Demi-Company Route:

I have gone this route, but I find that you lack the support necessary if you don't take Terminators and a LandRaider. They really are the king of the battlefield. Devastators and Tacticals are solid, but the Assault Marines lack the punch of Deathwing, especially coming out of a LR.

2) Tac Marine Poses

The DV Marines have quite a but of DA specific iconography moulded on them, the actual tactical box does not. However, mixing them up is not precluded and the new box coming out has plenty of nifty poses that will look very nice. Mixing the squads together won't look out of place and will at least separate the double-up poses you get in DV.

With the revelation that Codex Marines will no longer be able to field bike armies, I think you'll find a lot of Space Marine players turning up on your doorstep.

Which is cheaper, buy one Dark Angel codex and one Sammael? Or buy one Space Marine Codex, one White Scars Codex (assuming that they will get one that allows them bike troops again), and whatever overpriced resin HQ they make for White Scars.

Simple answer really.

I've made a 1750 points list consisting of

Librarian lvl1 in termi armour.

Techmarine with bolter flamer and harness

8 marines with flamer sgt with bolter flamer in a drop pod (tech go with them)

10 marines plasma ML

10 marines plasma ML

10 marines plasma plasma cannon

8 assault marines 2 flamers vet sgt with PW

8 assault marines 2 flamers vet sgt with PW

5 RWBK hunt master with melta bomb

Devastator squad (8) with 4LC

Whirlwind

Whirlwind

You can add an aegis at 1850

I'm seriously thinking about replacing the vet status of the assault sgts for 2 more marines in the dev squad so that I can split them

Lately I've been thinking an Assault Squad might do reasonably well with a Dark Talon backing it up.  Have the Dark Talon drop that stasis bomb on whatever the Assault Squad is about to assault, and then for turns afterwards there's the rift cannon.  Plus, the DT can go into hover mode to stay close to the Command Squad's dakkapole to get the buff to its hurricane bolters.

Some will say they're not.

To me it depends of the theme of your army. They have a decent amount of A and can saturate the enemy very well. Of course they cannot hit & run like bike but the number of A make them more likely to win the fight during enemy's turn.

The CC beasts of this army are the RWBK. If your opponent fears more your assault marines because he doesn't know the potential of the BK then he will let those latters survive.

If your opponent DOES know the potential of the BK be sure he'll concentrate on them, hence leave room for your assault squads to advance. Moreover, don't forget the Drop poding tactical squad arriving right in his lines and the 50 other marines shooting on him supported by 2 whirlwinds.

The assault squads are not a multi tool unit like BK that can work whatever the list. However if you give them a nice environment like here they can work nice.

Archived