Starting A Collection: Dark Angels 3rd Company

Brother Sandalphon

Looks like you have close to half a company right there, along with a Deathwing and Ravenwing squad. Make sure you get a hold of the codex so you will know what to build before you get too far ahead.

You can use the extra heavy weapons and special weapons to have a few options to switch in and out of your squads. You may want to pick up a Standard Bearer model to make a Command Squad (use Dark Angels Vets models if you have them.)

Most people will steer  you towards Ravenwing Black Knights since they are pretty good. That's a good amount to build and paint right  now though.

You will need a Command Squad.

I recommend getting the Space Marine Command Squad box, along with a Dark Angels Chapter Upgrade frame. This will give you everything you need to make a DA Command Squad: Standard Bearer, Champion, and Apothecary. The Upgrade frame will give you enough bits to customize the Squad into proper Dark Angels.

Personally, I recommend 2 Dark Vengeance boxes. You get so many Dark Angels models that it is worth it.

Good luck and welcome to the Dark Angels!

For putting it together, I recommend a pair of flush sprue clips, a hobby knife, a small set of hobby files, Super Glue, and CA glue.  That should get them assembled...  ;)

Paul

Alright, thanks for the responses everyone. I'll pick up a command squad this week and see where they fit in points wise. Now, my friend has decided he's going to run world eaters instead of iron warriors, and I know he plans on getting Huron Blackheart for his warlord. What advice can you guys give me?

Good luck on your project.

The question I have is will you be collecting a full 3rd Company or just a partial force?

If you are going to go for a full company then you need a lot of motivation and it is hard going. Also you need to convert the DV tacticals as they end up all looking the same.

There are a few of us here who have the honour of being part of the Full Company Club (mine is the 4th cause I just love doing the checkers :()

I'm almost complete with my battle company... But mine has a variation. 6 tactical, 1 Assault and 3 devastator squads. With so many FA choices, and little use from assault squads anyway, I figured 3 Devastators would work well to round out my company.

Good luck on your project.

The question I have is will you be collecting a full 3rd Company or just a partial force?

If you are going to go for a full company then you need a lot of motivation and it is hard going. Also you need to convert the DV tacticals as they end up all looking the same.

There are a few of us here who have the honour of being part of the Full Company Club (mine is the 4th cause I just love doing the checkers :()

Ooh, 3 more Tactical Squads and I can haz cookie?

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat1080018a&prodId=prod2080038a

^

An official, GW-stamped full battle company. Note: Their "one click collections" are a bunch of BS because they charge you the same price as each thing pieced out. However, they serve as a pretty good rule of thumb with what you'll be buying.

Only other things you'd want to be careful if following that list is we're dark angels, so, you'll probably want to get an upgrade spruce or two for some robed guys to spice things up (note: upgrade spruces give you all you need to assemble 5 full guys besides, so keep that in mind if you get some), and we don't get Ironclad Dreads. We do get Mortis Dreadnoughts though, which even though they are a forgeworld thing, it's easy enough to kit up on your own using just the regular kit + an extra arm off forgeworld for the additional shooty army. The rules are available online right here.

• 1 month later...

It's been a while, but I'm happy to report my company is complete! After several of my own models and several quite judicious purchases on eBay, I managed to complete my task. I only have a few rhinos though, and I plan on expanding the motor pool with some a Ravenwing attack squadron and several vehicles in the future. My painting isn't too well, I admit, but I'm pretty happy with everything! I'll start posting pictures soon when I get a camera that can upload.

Alright, thanks for the responses everyone. I'll pick up a command squad this week and see where they fit in points wise. Now, my friend has decided he's going to run world eaters instead of iron warriors, and I know he plans on getting Huron Blackheart for his warlord. What advice can you guys give me?

Deathwing Knights.......

Well...it seems that someone beat me to making a post about what I intended to do with my DV box. I, too, am planning to build the 3rd, with elements of the 1st and 2nd (eventually I'll build those Companies as well). So far 1st Tactical/3rd Co (the one from DV) is finished and now I just need to decide how I want to use the new box of Tac Marines I got. I could make them into my 2nd Tac Squad, or do a combat squad and use the rest for 9th Squad, as I still have some Dev weapons floating around from an earlier project (plus enough bitz to put together 4 marine bodies).

Given that Tyranids, DE and Orks seem to be the main opposition where I play I am thinking that my 9th squad (fielding as two combat teams) should have 2 missile launchers per squad. One will take 2 las cannons and the other will take two heavy bolters (I think). Plasma cannons always tempt me until I remind myself that they usually scorch the bearer into a shrieking gas ball.

Archived