DW termies / DW Knights versus Wolfguard - What are my chanc

Valaskjalf

Hey guys

Playing against SW soonish and Im pretty convinced that I will be up against some Wolfguard. As I havent faced them before, but can only go from what Ive heard, it appears they are pretty formidable.

So I was curious as to my chances against them and whether regular DW Termies would be a good match or if I should rather go for DW Knights. If I go for the regular Termies and give them SS/TH it could give me the AP2 and "double up" I need, the problem is the lack of attacks. When charging I could squeeze out 5 attacks with the DW Company banner, but then Id also need lightning claws for the 5th attack, by that I lose the high strength.

I considered DW Knights but they still seem like a 1-trick pony...Smite mode is awesome, but if I roll poorly and dont take out most of the WG squad, Im pretty much toast as I then revert back to my rather underwhelming AP4 attacks.

Could any of you guys give me some advice? Perhaps some of you guys have done a math-hammer to point me in the right direction? Would be interested to see what the outcome would be. Thanks!

Wolf Guard are 'simply' veterans, each of whom must (I believe) select different wargear to his fellows. The worst melee weapons you'll face are Frost Blades, which are +1 Strength Power Weapons and Wolf Claws, which are essentially Lightning Claws that can grant re-rolls to hit OR to wound, depending on the owner's preference in each combat.

Other than that you're facing the usual Terminator weapons if they choose Tactical Dreadnought armour, or any of the 'Tactical' weapons i.e. Plasma Pistols, Flamers, Plasma Guns, Meltaguns, Power/Frost weapons, Power/Chain Fists etc. if they stay in Power Armour.

They also have Counter-Attack.

If you know they'll be in Power Armour, take Lightning Claws. If you know they'll be in Terminator Armour, take Thunder Hammers and Storm Shields.

Wolfguard come stock with power weapon and stormbolter. If he pays out the ass he can get stormshields and AP2, but will likely go for bodies.

I would run a single command squad with the Banner of Fortitude, since that gives you FnP across a 12" bubble, and then TH//SS x3 with the Plasma Cannon and Sargent for 5 man squads. Use split fire on the cannon to aim for higher density targets and the sarge and his storm bolter to paint your charge target. Try to shoot Logan to death as he is a CC beast.

Paul

thanks for the quick reply...So nothing out of the ordinary then. DW Should be able to handle them quite efficiently? Was thinking of PF's on the DW perhaps on TH/SS on the guy in the front. I was expecting WG to have an ungodly amount of attacks, but I suppose that's why they are usually run with Logon to beef them a little.

They can be armed in pretty much any way the player likes (and do not need unique armaments unlike the space wolf hqs). But they are usually fairly expensive if kitted out heavily. Usually they function as a mix of sternguard and terminators if that helps your decisions on tactics.

Cool thanks Paul...Im reluctant to get to close and personal with the SW in general, it seems softening up with Plasma and making use of some RW could be the way to go? But I guess getting in assault with them is semi unavoidable so I was wondering what would be best to counter them up close. Good to hear they dont have the super unkillable terminators I was expecting.

On that point, when facing someone with a very flexible army like SW with an abundance of LF's and Runepriests with JOTWW whats the key to tackling them with our Army? The only weakness to them seems to be general lack of 2+ saves, but they seem so well-rounded and cheap that Ive already given up on the idea of running too many DW squads. 

Archived