Should we scrap our Dark Angle codex?

HsojVvad

This is not a DA codex sucks thread. I like it a lot. I am just thinking would it be better to be...... I can't believe I am saying this, be with the SM codex, and have a supplement. The reason I say this, is from what I hear, since I never got the Eldar or Tau supplement, would it be better to have a DA supplement with 170 pages of pics and fluff and 2 or 3 pages of rules. 

I thought maybe having about 175% more pages of fluff and stories would be nicer than the 50 or so pages we have now. Having a supplemental would mean SM just can't pick and choose from DA (if I am correct here) and it will still be a unique codex/supplement. 

So what do you guys think? Would it be nicer to have 170 so pages of pics and stories, or is having what we have better? For those who have the Eldar and or Tau supplements, what is in there that could have made DA better? 

I was thinking Black Templar might be better off. If they get a supplement they will have over 170 pages instead of a 100 pages. Do you think they will be better off in the end? 

I am so hoping DA will be getting a supplement so this will be a moot point then. :)

Eh I see it both ways. As we are now, it's real great that we have a Codex, and we have plenty of stuff to make us unique. Would we benefit from being a Supplement? Eh, maybe? If we got extra stuff like Thunderfire Cannons and that cool looking new Skyfire tank, sure. Do I want to be just another Supplement army though? Not really. I like that we're a seperate thing, that we don't have Stern/Vanguard and all that such and such. This can all be fixed through rules if we were a Supplement though, like I hear Black Templar can't take certain C:SM units. Also I think the BT are being rolled into the Codex, not becoming a Supplement, so that's different. If it's more fluff you want in a book though, I'd say get some of the DA books from Black Library. I get it though that that's not the same thing, it's quite  diferent really but it's the closest thing we have while being a normal Codex.

Lastly, I have yet to read any Supplement, be it Iyanden or Farsight Enclave, so I can't really judge how many special rules are in there or reall how different they are aside from getting different units for troops, and choosing Wraithknights/Riptides for HQs.

I think though that I'd prefer we stay the way we are now, and get a Supplement of one of our Sucessor Chapters. Guardians of the Covenant, Angels of Absolution and Angels of Vengeance all look cool, though I have no idea of any Chapter of ours the specializes in anything Supplement worthy.

No. Just, no.

We're Unforgiven. We always stand alone. I don't just mean that in a cheesy fanboy way either. After everything we went through to get this codex; the waiting, the uncertainty, the rumours. we waited so long for this and the codex is ours, in that way that most gamers have that attachment to their models that never really gets talked about. I feel for the Templars; I suspect the more hardcore Templar players out there don't care if getting a supplement gives them new toys. What they wanted was a book of their own, a sign that their beloved chapter is recognised as being one in a thousand, not an extension of the Codex Astartes.

I love my new codex. I don't want new toys, I want to be a Dark Angel, stood apart from all others who are not Unforgiven. It's not about rules or new weapons, it's about brotherhood and solidarity. For me at least.

and having to pay for two 30£ books instead of one to play DA instead of green marines? with all respect for the OP, but to hell with the supplements.

its one thing that GW will never see 1 cent from my part

before 6th edition, would not really have been much of a change as long as we had our DW Termies in the Codex and everything else could be done via Chapter Traits. Our Bikes could have gone back to being standard SM bikes tbh.

However, now post 6th edition, we have a lot more stuff that makes no sense rolling us into the SM Codex. So No, I do not want to be rolled. And considering that our codex is viable its not really a worry. 

"The perfect is the enemy of the good," someone wise once said that and its still as true today as it was then. For all the reasons people above have stated there are major darwbacks to having a supplement codex, even without having read one myself. there is some parallel universe where there is a dark angel codex, where all the point costs are effiecient, there is perfect synergy between units and every build is competitve to a GT winning standard. We dont live in that world, we live in one where our codex is good, and has some fun new units and choices but not everything is perfect. And heres a news flash.... theres porblems with chaos, theres probs with Demons, theres some probs with Tau (see their flyers) and Eldar (HOWLING BANSHEES?)... C:SM wont be perfect either.

In the end though, this is a false choice when it comes to deciding between one versus the other. Allies let your cake be described by schrodinger's equation ( eating and not eatin may occur simultaneously), which means this whole context of this thread is quite foolish to me. If youd like to get some space marine units you just need an HQ form that codex and your set....

No you shouldn't scrap your angle codex brother, you're being obtuse; sorry couldnt resist that joke. . What is important to remember is that the DA have their own codex, which grants access to toys and mechanics that the standard space marine codex does not have; giving you a uniqueness that does not synergize with a "vanilla" codex. All terminator "deathwing" armies for example; and you shouldn't wish to be rolled into a standard codex because of it- look whats happening to the BTs.

Whatever happens to the BT remains to be seen, whether or not they get a supplement in addition to being rolled into the standard codex. They are rumored to be losing a lot of the mechanics that made them unique at the same time: emperor's champion losing all character and not even being cumpolsory anymore. no more unique, BT only vows- instead a transition to bland USRs, many of which it would seem neuter their viability in melee, the very thing theyre famous for fluff wise. No more cenobyte servitors, so their chaplains cant carry around cool relics like grimaldus does anymore. At this rate, there will probably be a limitation on the number of mixed squads and number of dedicated transport land raiders they can take! Would you wish that same fate; becoming devoid of character and a swift neutering to the mechanics that made your army shine on like a candle in the face of a dark, unforgiving universe? Would you wish that shame on the brothers of the DA subforum?

The templars, and all sons of Dorn will overcome this obstacle and thrive if for no other reason than to spite it; you want stories of valor and honor? Pick up the sword and bolter, and carve them out for yourselves. You may be the first legion, but your brothers throwing in the towel on their perfectly legitimate codex casts a grave shadow on your chapter that you may not be the best; prove em wrong!

Not trying to be a negative nancy here folks, but you should be proud of the codex that you get and make models/art/fiction/etc. to supplement it that the community can be proud of. This talk of bandwagoning onto new codexes is for the birds, stand by what you have, and weep for those that arent getting a codex anytime soon (like sisters)

170 ebook pages do not equal 170 hardback pages.

D'OH. That is correct. I feel like arse now. Please lock the thread. I thought it was actual 170 page Hard Cover book. wallbash.gif

No worries, brother ;). It's a pretty common misunderstanding, helped along by GW as you might imagine.

Archived