Sons of Antaeus - Accursed Legacy of the XXI Founding

Candleshoes

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p113/Darkbeastman/sonsofantaeus_zpsbcd68208.jpg

Adeptus Mechanicus Archaeological Expedition TH/21/36
Project Leader: Explorator Magos Marco Pteronus
Date: 998.M41, Days 23 – 38
Input 37

" At last we were within the corridors of the base and, I confess, my sense of trepidation was increasing the deeper we ventured. The facility buried beneath the mountain had obviously been the site of a tremendous battle. The walls were riddled with bullet impacts and laser burns and the remains of hastily constructed barricades lay scattered throughout the empty, echoing halls. The place was deserted, and save for the odd scattered bone, the victims of this battle had either been taken by the victors for some unguessable purpose or had long since decayed to dust. Brother Lequara was like an excited child as we explored the facility and would allow us to touch nothing. It was not until we eventually discovered a laboratorium hidden in the heart of the underground complex that we were to learn the true purpose of this place. What I believe that purpose to be is almost too fantastic to relate, but having since perused the scant morsels of data on the base's main logic engine, words cannot begin to convey my excitement to you."

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p113/Darkbeastman/Cursedfounding3_zpsb8eb7c51.jpg

A Cursed Founding Project Log Coming Soon

Hello Everyone!

Thank you for the kind words. With the new codex around the corner, I thought I might throw my hat into the ring and try to tackle a fairly unknown chapter, with plenty of mystery and room for growth.

The first two things needed before properly starting this log were a colour scheme and a chapter symbol.

The heavy mythological greek ties that the chapter name includes makes for a great beginning. For those who haven't seen the IA Article for the Cursed Founding, it alludes to this myth:

Antaeus (also Antaios) in Greek and Berber mythology was a half-giant, the son of Poseidon and Gaia. Greeks of the sixth century BC, who had established colonies along the coast, located Antaeus in the interior desert of Libya. He would challenge all passers-by to wrestling matches, kill them, and collect their skulls, so that he might one day build out of them a temple to his father Poseidon. He was indefatigably strong as long as he remained in contact with the ground (his mother earth), but once lifted into the air he became as weak as other men.

Antaeus had defeated most of his opponents until it came to his fight with Heracles (who was on his way to the Garden of Hesperides for his 11th Labour). Upon finding that he could not beat Antaeus by throwing him to the ground as he would reheal due to his parentage (Gaia), Heracles discovered the secret of his power. Holding Antaeus aloft, Heracles crushed him in a bearhug. The story of Antaeus has been used as a symbol of the spiritual strength which accrues when one rests one's faith on the immediate fact of things.

With this is mind, I opted for a very greek symbol, with marbling and a show of strength and endurance. The lovely Elizabeth over at Edge and Vertex knocked up this:

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p113/Darkbeastman/SonsofAntaeusSymbol_zps22bc7b04.jpg

As for a colour scheme, there is a bit on record as to what the Sons look like. It is mentioned that the few times that they have been seen, their heraldry includes grey and black. I like the idea of a darker and more muted chapter, but I knew that I wanted a splash of colour to go along with it. Here are the 3 finalists for a colour scheme, please let me know which catches the eye more, or which seems to suit:

sm.php?b62c=@hbUc8_hozqS.iakk7@@@@@@@hXbsb.hyvFn@@hHzJlhHzJl@@@________haLvy.haLvy.__________hyvFnhvs7r@@@@@@@@.@@@@hvs7rhr3uf&grid=TRUE

sm.php?b62c=@hozqS_hbUc8.iakk7_______hXbsb.hyvFn@@hHzJlhHzJl@@@@@@@@@@@haLvy@haLvy@@@@@@@@@@@hyvFnhvs7r@@@___@@.____hvs7rhr3uf&grid=TRUE

sm.php?b62c=@hozqS_hbUc8.iakk7_______hXbsb.hyvFn@@hHzJlhHzJl@@@@@@@@@@@haLvy.haLvy.@@@@@@@@@@hyvFnhvs7r@@@___@@.____hvs7rhr3uf&grid=TRUE

There will be quite a bit of older armour marks included (story for them is already starting to take shape) and I have a good idea how I want to deal with the mystery of their geneseed and primarch. Here are the first 2 test models on the block - they will get painted in the scheme that is chosen by you guys from the above 3.

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p113/Darkbeastman/SonsofAntaeusMarine_zpsd3703f19.jpg

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p113/Darkbeastman/SonsofAntaeusTerminator_zpsc9d4c368.jpg

Number two is really growing on me ... Seems the darkest and most true to the grey and black from the fluff. I have also got a very different idea for honour markings, like Salamamders and their flames... It's pretty left field. I'll save it for Friday.

The black shoulder pads are an excellent idea, one that I will be going with.

I also got a hold of the fantasy flight chapter helper to create a solid base for the background, to start creating from. I have a bad habit of being very indecisive, so I thought I could use all the help I could get. One thing that did come from all those random rolls, a certain story or character started to emerge... here are the raw results of what I rolled up - it'll be fun to use these bare bones and begin to flesh them out. Which gene-seed/Primarch to use as a progenitor on the other hand... still is a running problem I will have to solve.

Random Chapter Table

Why was the Chapter Founded?

6 - Counter - A specific threat has been identified and the Chapter has been created as a direct result.

When was the Chapter Founded?

(Already known) 36th Millennium (Cursed Founding)

Gene-seed Purity?

6 - A New Generation - Gene-seed is slightly divergent, usually because of attempts to breed out flaws, real or not, leading to the Chapter
being less linked to its progenitor.

Chapter Demeanor?

5 - Scions of Mars - A solid foundation of mutual respect, with the Lords of Mars. A direct relationship that strongly affects future of
the Chapter.

If they have one, what mutation do they have? (I rolled on the mutation chart - as I thought a Cursed Founding Chapter wouldn't have the
most stable geneseed)

4 - Oolitic Secretions - Their skin is a different colour due to their gene-seed, their homeworld environment.

If one exists, what is the Chapter's Flaw?

9 - Chapter Cult - A strange practice exists within the Chapter.

Figure of Legend: A Battle-Brother seconded from the First Founding Legion that provided the new Chapter’s gene-seed.

83 - Company Captain, seconded from the 8th Assault Company

Deeds of Legend

46 - The individual was a stalwart enemy of the servants of
Chaos and slew a Daemon Prince

Chapter Homeworld

40 - Feral World

Homeworld Terrain

2 - Jungle

Rule of the Homeworld

10 - Distant rule - The Chapter Monastery is within sight, but never within reach.

Chapter Organization

9 - Unique Organization

Combat Doctrine

9 - Shock and Awe

Specialty Restrictions - Units that Unique Chapters cannot field

51 - Devastator Marines

Special Equipment - Only if Divergent or Unique Organizations were rolled

43 - Rare Weaponry/Armoury: Whether through the blessing of the Adeptus Mechanicus or sheer good fortune, this Chapter has a large stock of weaponry and armour that is considered rare amongst the other Chapters. It is seen as a symbol of honour to wield these in battle.

What form do the Chapter's beliefs take?

93 - Steel Within Flesh (Steel Over Flesh) - The mentality
surrounding their extensive skeletal modifications

At what strength is the Chapter?

1 - Endangered - The Chapter numbers only a handful of Companies or less having suffered devastating losses in combat, accident, or dramatic genetic instability (Or an extremely long creation proccess). If recovery is even possible it will take many decades, making every Battle-Brother (and his Progenoids) an invaluable resource. Due to this, there may be an apothecary attached to each squad.

Who is your Chapter friendly with?

82 - The Inquisition

Who are the Chapter's enemies?

57 - Chaos Space Marines - Choose a particular Warband, Chapter or Traitor

Awesome,

As a felllow cursed foundling I had always planned on doing a squad of each of the chapters, The Sons of Antaeus were always my (second) favourite.

I did write some fluff a while back about the origins of the Sons though it collected dust in the Librarium as it didn't attract much attention.

Cheers

LM

Maybe this will help smile.png

Taken from White Dwarf issue 279.

The Sons of Antaeus are only officially recorded in one source; the chronicles of the Third Inter-Guild War of the Inca Sector of 850.M41 to 901.M41 The chapter is listed as having answered the pleas of the Guild Fathers for aid against pirate forces sponsored by business rivals, and according to the records acquitted themselves courageously before departing.

Since that time, a force matching their grey and black livery has been sighted by a number of chapters in the Ultima Segmentum, and these accounts have always made specific mention of the size and apparent hardiness of these mysterious Adeptus Astartes. They are reportedly capable of surviving hits from weapons that would slaughter another Space Marine.

One such eyewitness account, submitted by Captain Rakman of the Subjugators Chapter, records an incident in which his force found itself under attack by Eldar of the Void Dragons pirate fleet. Surrounded and under heavy fire by the pirates' ultra-rapid anti-grav vehicles. Rakman states that a force bearing the livery of the Sons of Anteaus appeared unexpectedly and attacked the enemy vehicles from behind. Forces to redeploy, the Eldar suddenly found the selves faced with the prospect of having to make a breakout. The Eldar Flagons and Wave Serpents made straight for the Sons of Anteaus, judging them lesser of the two space marine forces. The incredulous Captain Rakman gives an amazing account of the Sons of Anteaus' stand in the face of the storm of Eldar firepower, against which the mysterious Space Marines stood seemingly impervious. The Subjugators were able to press thier attack on the enemy rear as the Sons of Anteaus held the Eldar in place, and the pirates were destroyed in short order, caught between the immovable anvil of the Sons, and the irresistible hammer of the Subjugators.

Augumented Skeleton: During the inception of the Sons of Anteaus Chapter, its creators extensively modified the gene-seed in order to create Space Marines of exceptional durability and toughness. How they achieved this is unknown, whether their skeletal structure was enhanced with some artifical substance, or whether a more esoteric procedure was used. Less sympathetic observers point out that the chapter appears every bit as resilient as the Death Guard Traitor Legion.

Every model in the chapter has +1 toughness added to its profile. Cursed Founding Space Marines (including bikers) with Augmented Skeleton still suffer an 'instant death' result from a strength 8 or more weapon.

Points: +5 per Space Marine; +10 per model with more than 1 Wound.

There are some really cool rules for Black Dragons, Flame Falcons, Minotaurs, Lamenters and even the Legion of the Damned but its far far out of date obviously xD. Hope this helped a little bit at least

Actually the Sons were pitched as being like the Death Guard. Very resilient to injuries, just field infantry

Most of the cursed founding chapters used unkonwn gene seed that was modified to remove the impurities.

Lammies were suppossedly Blood Angel successors, though now it seems that is has been confirmed since.

Minotaurs being highly aggressive would suggest World Eaters

Flame Falcons catching fire suggests Thousand Sons

Cheers

LM

Archived