My First Vehicle

Sohail187

morning all. 

I only recently started this hobby again after a 8-9 year break and purchased a space wolves army. I am looking for some feedback negative or positive  and some tips!!

I have completed my first side of my first vehicle (drop pod) and would like to know how i can improve it? or if i should stop? have i missed anything out.

http://i44.tinypic.com/t5k9qt.jpg

http://i44.tinypic.com/t5k9qt.jpg 

Really nice weathering. Guessing you painted on the black base for the battle damage rather than sponging it? Just started experimenting with the sponge technique myself in my own WIP log. I really like this, reminds me I need to start putting a lot more effort into my own pods! Have you got models to go with it?

The bits coming through is actually a mixture of rhinox hide and a tiny bit of black, when light hits it a brown rustyness comes through. It is something i saw on youtube and thought let me test it out. However i am yet to try the sponge technique. Would love to see how yours comes out :)

Good work.

As mentioned by Arkhan; you could use a sponge for the chipping. I think sponge chips look a bit more natural / realistic. Another thing; you could take into consideration  to paint the highlights of the chips only underneath them. This makes them more 3d.  

You could chip the hazard stripes too.

Don't get me wrong, you did a great job.  Just think about the points I made, and maybe they will give you some new ideas.

Good work.

As mentioned by Arkhan; you could use a sponge for the chipping. I think sponge chips look a bit more natural / realistic. Another thing; you could take into consideration  to paint the highlights of the chips only underneath them. This makes them more 3d.  

You could chip the hazard stripes too.

Don't get me wrong, you did a great job.  Just think about the points I made, and maybe they will give you some new ideas.

I have been browsing the forums a bit searching for various methods, and as mentioned i would love to see someones chipped effects with a sponge, as i was hoping to use this method for the inside ramp where the marines would be stepping on. 

You are the 2nd person to mention to paint the highlights underneath. I will do that on the next door and compare the results. Thanks for the feed back :)

Great stuff especially after a 8-9 year break. The chips are looking great as already mentioned however the hazard stripes are a tad rough. I'm assuming you freehanded them. Tamiya do a really good low tack masking tape thats pefect for hazard stripes

I actually used tamiya strips.... HOWEVER i learnt a valuable lesson, wait till the paint is a bit dry before removing the strips !! :) first ever hazard strips. And the yellow to black thickness needs to be a bit more even :P

Archived