Bug Stompers: Scythes of the Emperor (Marines based 2/28)

Kierdale

Thank you, brothers.

Xenith, I'll try to get some better photos sometime. The marines' black armour is highlighted, but I don't think it shows so well there, plus I don't particularly like highlighting black too lightly. On the advice of Elmo I have put a darker wash between yellow armour panels on the marines.

Once I get my Agrellan Earth and can do some basing then the five will be back on my table and I'll have a fresh look at them.

WarriorFish, it's interesting you mention pleasing the Omnissiah as I'm currently torn on my Christmas shopping. I'll be making a big purchase when the new IG codex and models come out next year, but as for Xmas I don't know whether to add to my Scythes (I'm thinking two tactical squads and a trio of bikers = grav-biker squad)...or buy more for my IG: a Vendetta and one or two Manticores (probably one).

Decisions, decisions!

Tough decision, but I'd try and hold back on IG purchases just to be safe as you never know what may happen. Though maybe you could get one thing, like a Manticore?

True, true, though I am lacking a flyer. Perhaps a manticore and a Valkyrie (with Vendetta kit). Even if they change it in the new codex, I'd like to have a flyer.

Scythes-wise, I started weathering the Rhino today. :)

Have had little time to work on my Scythes (or take photos)...still don't have my new technical paints yet (hopefully they'll be delivered tomorrow) but the Rhino is coming along.

Still doing Leadbelcher on it (all but the right side-section, the recessed `technical` bits on the top aft of the hatch, and the stormbolter...oh, and the tracks need drybrushing), which'll then need shading. The stormbolter casing (currently being painted white) will be red. Then there's still dirty, oil, rust, the searchlight, chain to add...perhaps some decals...etc.

med_gallery_63428_8759_38228.jpg

gallery_63428_8759_53068.jpg

med_gallery_63428_8759_102169.jpg

med_gallery_63428_8759_164783.jpg

Will take some photos with a proper (non iPhone) camera, against a background (rather than snapped at work before leaving for the weekend) once it's all done. smile.png

• 2 weeks later...

The Rhino is complete!

med_gallery_63428_8759_494044.png

A bit of reflection on the red-and-yellow campaign badge there. I'll give it another coat of Lamian Medium (that stuff is surprisingly good for taking the gloss off decals). I realised after applying that scythe decal that it probably would've looked better turned 90 degrees clockwise, but I'm not that bothered. I have a few more spare from IG kits too so it will be the army's campaign badge.

Oh, and it seems the driver hit someone biggrin.png

med_gallery_63428_8759_1806974.png

med_gallery_63428_8759_330514.png

med_gallery_63428_8759_1457301.png

med_gallery_63428_8759_513652.png

med_gallery_63428_8759_856957.png

med_gallery_63428_8759_52685.png

If I get a thicker drill (thicker than required for drilling out barrels, that is) in the future then I'll redo the exhausts.

Now to base those marines...

and get some new photos of them as I haven't since painting them a bit more...

Thank you for the comments.

Excellent stuff, really makes me lament my lack of free time seeing this! The weathering is very effective, can you give us a run down on what you did?

Keep up the good work Kier, I hope to see more vehicles soon :D

As you well know I have a backlog of mortals to paint, and a valk/vend inbound :D! When I do get back to my Scythes it will probably be to do the other half of the tactical squad.

As for the weathering, the scratches and chipping were a dark grey (Adeptus something or other? Mechanicus-blah blah?) sponged on, then Leadbelcher painted inside the larger grey areas, then darkened with Nuln Oil.

For the dirt I used Typhus Corrosion liberally. This dried looking like quite dark, almost wet, soil -which originally worried me as I intend to use Agrellan Earth for my marines' bases, but I experimented with a little Ryza Rust here and there (more an experiment than anything) and then hit the Corrosion areas with a lot of Tamiya Weathering powders Sand, which was caught by the texture of the corrosion very nicely, and ended up as you see above.

I also gave the whole tank a light brushing of the Sand powder for general accumulated dirt, dabbing it heavier into crevices, even rubbing some in with my fingers (between hatch doors, etc).

I wonder if the driver lost his "No claims" bonus after hitting the unfortunate person(s)? :lol:

I don't think the Scythes have insurance. Not after Sotha... :(

• 4 weeks later...

No work on my Scythes (Santa brought me IG reinforcements) though my local GW is having a monthly painting contest so, it being perhaps the best thing I've done in a long while, I've entered the rhino into the vehicle category (there are only three categories: single, squad/regiment and large/vehicle).

Closing date is the 12th. Wish me luck!

Oh , they're not abandoned, it's just a matter of available time. I'm back at work now so I have about 30 minutes a day there to model, but my son's jet lagged so there's no time for modelling in the evenings...and I have a backlog of IG...so the Scythes are paused. I do have a sniper scout squad on the sprue for when I have time...

More vehicles? Come the new IG codex and models and you'll see more vehicles over in Kierdale's shrineworld garrison. Artillery or, if that gets bad rules, more tanks.

As for the scouts (and bear in mind the five completed marines need basing first!) I'm still thinking about a couple of things. I will be painting them in a darker, almost brown, hue of yellow for low-vis and intend to do them roughed up as per the completed marines. However I am thinking about adding in some bloused sleeves (care of Empire Pistoliers) as a homage to the original scout models. Perhaps just the right arms.

What do you know? I actually won!

My rhino was up against a Tzeentch herald on a disk, a nice Ultramarine dreadnought, a Tervigon and a huge (if I heard correctly) predominantly scratchbuilt Great Unclean One...and won! I thought the GUO would've had it but was pleasantly surprised. Apparently the judge liked that I'd payed a lot of attention to the interior.

Also, ixzion won the Unit category with some of his Flesh Tearers. Very nicely done they were too!

I'll post photos sometime when I get the chance.

Thanks, WarriorFish, NightHunters.

Apparently for the next painting comp at the local GW (for Spring, on March 30th) they're setting the condition of 'no conversions'.

I'm not sure I have any models that don't have a bit of repositioning or weren't at least a little cross-pollinated with other kits!

No conversions? While that may seem a bit odd it's not that bad, but that's assuming it isn't too extreme. Is it a case of not using bits from other ranges/non-GW bits? That's reasonable enough, but are they really going to say you can't use some bits from another GW box? Are they going to check every piece to make sure you didn't secretly use a bolt pistol from the Assault sprues on your Tactical Marine? If you reposition an arm does that count as a conversion?

Seems a little weird if so confused.gif

It seems that way. Build it straight from the box.

That seems to imply no bitz from other kits, nor repositioning limbs.

I get that it puts an interesting condition on the event, it just eliminates pretty much everything I have that's made and painted or that I have but have yet to make!

Ah well, I'll see what Tokyo's (Japan's for that matter. We only have two!) other (slightly further away GW) has planned. :)

Working on my IG at the moment I've been thinking I might focus my Scythes-building as an Allied Contingent for my IG. The half-tactical squad I have made and the scouts I have to make are good Troops. Throw in a drop pod of Sternguard, perhaps a Thunderfire...

Or we'll see what the Tyranic Vets datasheet is like this weekend...

Sounds like it needs a little clarification so nobody falls foul of interpretation issues.

I'm quite curious about the TWV datasheet. My chapter has a long and glorious history of grinding 'nids into the dirt so I might consider getting it depending on how it turns out.

Sterns and a TFC would be good, especially for bug squashing. It'd be nice to see them painted up in Scythe yellow but good luck assembling the TFC - if you find any secret tips on how to not lose the will to live while building it let me know... mellow.png

Archived