Ravenwing questions.

Sidguard

A bit of backstory - Greetings brothers. While I started my DA career as a stout Deathwing player, in a few recent games I added a squad of ravenwing (with 2 meltas, mm attack bike and a typhoon missile speeder) and it proved worth its weight in gold. I've decided to expand my ravenwing.

What I've got -

10 bikes
Chaplain Biker
2 boxes of Knights ( not built)
Sammael
A typhoon speeder.

The question - is in regards to my Black Knights. I'm going to run them as a 5 man command squad with an apothecary and a grenade launcher. This seems to be what most people go for. Now, my question is on banners - ravenwing company banner seems really good to me, the guaranteed hit and run + 4d6 roll just seems really good, especially for avoiding and dancing around major threats. Plus its 50 points cheaper than the Dakka banner. Combined with the fact the BKs themselves don't benefit from the banner, and its 6". I'm just not sold.  What do you think?

Also, on the question of how to expand my Ravenwing, I was thinking -> Dark Shroud -> 2x battalion boxes -> another BK squad.

I had little luck with the Dakka banner on the command squad. maybe I played them wrong or something, but They seem to die to quickly. Maybe put the banner inside an LRC for more bolters and more protection.

Also think of adding a 5 point champion, if only yo take challenges away from the apothecary.

Every game I've played thus far with my Bolter Banner has quadrupled my damage output long enough to paid for itself in points. Alternatively though I've also wished I had the RW Banner because I failed 3 Hit 'n Run tests in a row one game. It's more about personal preference and playstyle.

As for the Champion, a lot of people don't think the 5pts for the upgrade is really worth it because the Blade of Caliban 'sucks'. What they tend to forget is that, as mentioned by Tiger9gamer, is that he draws challenges away from your Apothecary AND he can get precision shots with his Plasma Talon. Both of those make the 5 points justifiable to me.

As for how to expand your army, what you're doing is what I'd do if I were you... if that makes sense. You're on the right track in my mind, but I'd consider trading the Darkshroud with a Battleforce.

RW Battleforce -> Darkshroud -> RW Battleforce -> Black Knights

Archived