Who did you choose and why?

HsojVvad

... they ran simulations of battles in a 'lodge' like room ...

So they played wargames with toy soldiers? Iron Warriors: The 40k players of the 40k universe. laugh.png

Basically, yes! It was awesome. :D Face it, we'd all be Iron Warriors.

Don't forget Perturabo builds miniatures and paints as well. I'd buy his scale clockwork Titans in a shot tongue.png

Not clockwork. Perturabo and Vulkan teamed up to build a perpetual motion machine to power the model Warhound. So for all the jabbering about which primarch is the best fighter/strongest/smartest/coolest, remember that only two of them have ever defeated the laws of physics.

One of the minor issues with the HH book series for me has been that the traitor legions have been written to be much more interesting than the loyalists. It's led to me 'liking' more or less, most of the traitors.

Of the cult legions, I like the Sons, and of the rest, the only ones I really dislike are the Word Bearers. I find their need to worship something distasteful.

Don't forget Perturabo builds miniatures and paints as well. I'd buy his scale clockwork Titans in a shot tongue.png

After reading Angel Exterminatus, I'm warming up to the Iron Warriors to the point of actually painting a few models...

...it's such a lovely distinct difference between the Emperor's CHildren and the Iron Warriors in that book! :)

One of the minor issues with the HH book series for me has been that the traitor legions have been written to be much more interesting than the loyalists.  It's led to me 'liking' more or less, most of the traitors.  

The bad guys always have more charisma and ambition.

In 40k, they are the ones that will change things if they win.

The good guys just fight to keep the status Quo.

It's the blurred lined of Bad vs Good in 40k that makes the lore so awesome.

I don't think it's just that, it's also that's its largely from the perspective of the Traitor Legions, even those who stayed loyal such as Gabriel Loken, who are just more interesting many ways. Ahriman is one of my favourite characters of the series. 

One thing I want to see more of is those Iron Warriors who are 'true' Iron Warriors, I don't really view Grendel of 'The Warsmith' as true visions of Perturabo. More that I see the likes Barabas Dantioch, Ferrous Ironclaw and Koros. There was a Iron Warrior in one of the Honsou Novella's who I thought was the perfect Iron Warrior; he was the guy who could 'feel' the composition of the earth and know exactly where to dig. It's driving me nuts that I cannot remember what he was called but my own vision of the Iron Warriors is basically him.

I also still like the idea of Perturabo as a Daemon Primarch deep in the bowels of Medrengard, designing new schematics and things that will never be, his eternal reward a constant, torment and reminder of what was taken from him. For me more than any other, turning traitor epitomises damnation; they weren't meant to be the way they've turned out, they weren't meant to be destroyers, they are builders and crafters and engineers, a true perversion of what Perturabo wanted. 

One of the minor issues with the HH book series for me has been that the traitor legions have been written to be much more interesting than the loyalists.  It's led to me 'liking' more or less, most of the traitors.  

The bad guys always have more charisma and ambition.

In 40k, they are the ones that will change things if they win.

The good guys just fight to keep the status Quo.

It's the blurred lined of Bad vs Good in 40k that makes the lore so awesome.

There aren't any bad or good guys in 40K; the applications are utterly meaningless in a universe where suffering and deprivation are the status quo and life itself is next to meaningless: a resource to be used and squandered by those in positions of privilege and power. Even the metaphysics of the universe is wonderfully moribund: death is no release from suffering: one's essence; anima, soul; whatever your terminology, is damned to either obliteration or consumption. the only other paths lie in the sustaining technologies created by the Eldar and their dark kin (the Haemonculi are effectively immortal) or through achieving immortality in service to the dark and undeniable truth that is Chaos. The Traitor Legions themselves are arguably no less violent, oppressive, dogmatic; given to torture and genocide than the servants of the Imperium. The only difference is one of emphasis and the rhetoric used: one side justifies its atrocities through the notion of sustaining some greater good, whereas the other uses the language of vengeance and the redress of old grievance. I doubt it makes much difference to those being tortured and murdered whether they are being tortured or murdered in the name of the Emperor and humanity or in the name of Khorne or Slaanesh.

In this universe, you  may as well throw your lot in with one or more of the chaos powers: the chances of failure; insanity and/or degeneration into a chaos spawn are no more or less repellent than being arbitrarily lobotomised, tortured and/or snuffed out of existence by the agents of the Imperium. At the very least Chaos provides opportunity: even within the strictures of being elevated as a Daemon Prince, one is able to exercise a degree of power and influence that one simply could not as a mortal; an opportunity to have some say in one's own actions and ultimate destiny, which is entirely absent in all mortal lives in the 40K universe.

And it was the Emperor who forced all the Primarchs to follow the path he laid out.  Magnus wanted to teach, Lorgar wanted to philosophize, Perturabo wanted to build.  The Emperor just wanted them to kill.

Iron_Within has it partially right.  The first books are all from the standpoint of the SoH, and there's actually good character building there.  The other books with the traitor legions just seem better written though.  Prospero Burns had that Rune Priest who was interesting, but most of the other Wolves, and Russ himself, were all very one dimensional to me.  The DA books were weak.  Mechanicum and BftA are best forgotten.  The best loyalists so far are from KNF, and even then they're not as well developed as some of the Iron Warriors from Angel Exterminatus.

I don't know, it's like the writers for the loyalists felt constrained by all the 40k fluff or something, and that limited what they felt they could do in their books.  Or they just weren't as good as those writing the traitor books.

what consistently surprises me are the Primarchs and legions I should despise, given my "real life" perspectives, but don't, and even end up profoundly sympathising with. The most prominent in this regard is Lorgar, whom I fully expected to hate, but have come to understand and empathise with on a similar level to Magnus and Fulgrim: 

Far from being painted as a rabid dogmatist and bigot, he is conveyed as a considered and highly intelligent metaphysician; a consciousness seeking some semblance of poetry and meaning in a universe that seems intent on denying it, and more than that: a consciousness which actually finds it; a truth that underpins all others in the reality in which it occurs, and to which he surrenders totally, if not happily. It's an amazingly complex tension: to acknowledge a metaphysical truth that one is not happy or comfortable with, but simply is. Even further: he and his followers seem to be acutely aware of what influences the Warp, Chaos and its constituent entities in a similar manner to Magnus the Red and his legion. However, unlike Magnus, they do not entertain any delusions of control or dominion over that state, accepting instead that its influence and primacy over them is inevitable.

I must say that since I converted to Chaos I fell in love with World Eaters (unfortunatelly, when I did so, there was no base colour I would use then - it was eiter too dark red or too bright red, I must say that I like Khorne red so much) but never painted a model. It's definatelly my favourite legion. I study historical european martial arts and I like the gladiatorial feeling that World Eaters have. As A D-B stated in Betrayer "We are not soldiers, we are warriors".

I like that a war for a World Eater is long serie of personal duels, rather then systemathic killing. And they definatelly had good reasons for joining the Heresy. At least Angron did. And I also like Angron despising slavery, refusing to be called "My Lord".

In the 90's - started Dark Angels because I was young and thought the chapter badge looked cool.  Now I am well and truly Unforgiven.

Around 2006 - started Saim Hann because I thought the local scene needed more xenos, and red jetbikes were very cool

Three years ago - started Night Lords because of "Soul Hunter"

Not been inspired by any of the other factions/races so far.

Archived